Speciale vs Italia

Woppum

The differences

1. At slow speeds the speciale is less responsive. It's the same engine but worked a very different way. It sacrifices low down torque for ultimate throttle response and upper end bhp. For driving round London the Italia will feel quicker. As it will really on most the roads.

2. It sounds, as stock, far less synthetic. The 430, scud and 458 went from little noise to god Instagram enhancement. Never liked it, which is why I went capristo instantly. The speciale is far more natural in sound, progressive and mellifluous. That said it's not loud enough for me, I have already been in contact with capristo for something better. We can do better no doubt.

3. Handling. It is quicker, sharper and better. The question is by how much and is it worth it ?! I did a 40 min test drive, motorway and London, so not the best. From the brief and low effort test I could just about tell:

- steering is 10% quicker lock....and it was already rapid.

- it corners flatter and stiffer, even with shocks in road mode.

- there is an inie pinie bit more feel.

- the Italia sticks to the road but this is something else

- the gear change is so fast there is literally no pause at all. Italia is fast as I have experience, this is stupid....maybe to fast to enjoy the shove you get in the back, this is where people say it is too computerised...this is not a bad thing, it's incredible.

4. Looks. This is where I struggle. I think the Italia is a cooler, more stylish car. The speciale is harder and over designed to the point it's a little over the top. That said if you do it right, which I hope I have, it is very very speciale.

Conclusion :

After months of deliberation I decided

- this is the last and best of the mid engined n/a cars. I know in ten years time I will have one in my stable, I might as well own it from new and have it exactly how I want it.

- I think when really hammering this car it will reward ever so slightly more than the italia.

- I will most probably buy the replacement to the Italia, in a sensible colour (black) and want a complimentary interesting colour to keep it company. This historic red is not so in your face as corsa but still is Ferrari through and through.

-Diminishing returns - this car to drive, in my fairly brief experience, is so little improvement it's really not worth the change at all in the short term. If this car is a keeper it makes more sense than holding on to an Italia.

- the idea of speccing a Ferrari from new to exactly what I want is a very exciting proposition. I'm doing silly things like 'woppum' plaques...just because I can and it will make me giggle every time I see it.

- I will have to live with the guilt of not making a decent return on the cash I'm using to buy this car in the short term...although it really makes little difference. The principle is always hard to bare for someone that cares about every £.

The very best compliment I can give this car is it is the CSL to the M3 in a far more similar way to say a 911 to gt3. The moment I realised that, the moment I realised I needed the speciale.

Lastly I'm really excited. If I didn't ache, agonise, deliberate and scrutinise the decision what's the point. The day I go numb to making such a decision is the day I need to reconsider my position in my eyes. A car like this is not earn't overnight. Even if it was, where is the fun in just buying because u can...

I am so pleased by the fact I really can not wait to take delivery. The wait is on !

post-1340-0-10602500-1406999199_thumb.jp

post-1340-0-85487500-1406999226_thumb.jp

post-1340-0-04123200-1406999246_thumb.jp

post-1340-0-05163800-1406999262_thumb.jp

post-1340-0-53702700-1406999282_thumb.jp

post-1340-0-59213100-1406999304_thumb.jp

post-1340-0-37801900-1406999336_thumb.jp

post-1340-0-14166600-1406999356_thumb.jp

• Like 4

You said the GT3 was a keeper I'm sure you will change your mind again.

Lovely motor. +++

Just to add to this, I'm not sure if you are aware but the replacement car will be turbo charged. This speciale is the last of the n/a mid engined ferrari's, as well as the best of. In 10-20 years this is the car that could be potentially worth keeping.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...