Boxing thread

Soulboy

A few starters:

- Will Mayweather ever get beaten....or should he retire undefeated?

- And so many boxers are using the shoulder roll/Philly shell style now, will it become the norm?

- Will Khan reach the top heights again?

- How far can Kell Brook go?

And my view on the most underrated boxer of all time is James Toney in his prime.

The speed and angles he got in this fight with Iran Barkley were awesome..... Coupled with his great defence (philly shell again), it was a masterclass for me (pt 1 of 3 in HD here) that I watch over and over for learning:

James Toney vs Iran Barkley Part 1:

Edited by Soulboy

• 3 months later...

Khan by KO.

I think it is a given.  Devon Alexander lacks heart and I don't say that about many boxers.

He's also a South Paw, and whilst most boxers struggle against them, Khan never has done - in fact he's usually done very well against them.

Then you have the fact that Khan is looking stronger than ever and there is now a glimmer of a sign that he can take the odd punch or two.  Add his speed to it and I don't give Devon a chance.  He's a very good fighter, but against Khan I think it is a classic case of it all being wrong for him.  That's not me saying I think Khan is special either, because I'm more convinced than ever that he isn't.  However, he's just the worst nightmare possible for Alexander.

I still think it is a waste of time anyway.  The win for Khan leaves 3 options:

1.  Mayweather - a fight that will culiminate in a crushing defeat for Amir

2.  Pacquiao - a fight that will culminate in a crushing defeat for Amir

3.  Brook - a fight that will benefit neither fighter and one in which I suspect Khan would just get his head boxed off unless he manages to connect flush with Kell (and even then we don't know if it would end it, because there is still a lot of unknowns where Kell Brook is concerned)

He clearly wants FMJ.  I'd love nothing more than to see him knock the absolute **** on his arse, but I'm a realist and for him to do so would be equivalent of Muhammed Ali making a comeback and beating the Klitschko brothers at the same time with one hand tied behind his back.

Its a very good match up for Khan, an opponent who has little in the way of fire power.

Floyd and PAC are ageing very quickly and Khan would stand a real chance against them in the future.

Mayweather was reliant on his speed and Manny would destroy you with purists of heavy punches. Those attributes have deserted both fighters as they would any ageing fighter.

Boxing politics denied us what would have been a great fight 5-10 years ago.

Khan by KO.

I think it is a given. Devon Alexander lacks heart and I don't say that about many boxers.

He's also a South Paw, and whilst most boxers struggle against them, Khan never has done - in fact he's usually done very well against them.

Then you have the fact that Khan is looking stronger than ever and there is now a glimmer of a sign that he can take the odd punch or two. Add his speed to it and I don't give Devon a chance. He's a very good fighter, but against Khan I think it is a classic case of it all being wrong for him. That's not me saying I think Khan is special either, because I'm more convinced than ever that he isn't. However, he's just the worst nightmare possible for Alexander.

I still think it is a waste of time anyway. The win for Khan leaves 3 options:

1. Mayweather - a fight that will culiminate in a crushing defeat for Amir

2. Pacquiao - a fight that will culminate in a crushing defeat for Amir

3. Brook - a fight that will benefit neither fighter and one in which I suspect Khan would just get his head boxed off unless he manages to connect flush with Kell (and even then we don't know if it would end it, because there is still a lot of unknowns where Kell Brook is concerned)

He clearly wants FMJ. I'd love nothing more than to see him knock the absolute **** on his arse, but I'm a realist and for him to do so would be equivalent of Muhammed Ali making a comeback and beating the Klitschko brothers at the same time with one hand tied behind his back.

So Alexander it is then :grin:

I was down at Kell Brooks winter training camp in Fuerteventura last month. Dominic Ingle and Kid Gallahad were there with a w others too.

They had me down for some sparring.....but fortunately I missed it!

Edited by Soulboy

Not the KO, but he could have probably taken it if he needed to.

I had my alarm set for 4am and watched it on my iPad with earphones in.  I then watched Kell Brook speaking post-fight, until 5.30am when I went back to sleep.

I mention that because I don't recall being so disinterested in someone speaking!  He'd have sent me back to sleep even if I'd not wanted to!  I also think he was a bit suprised by how good a performance Khan gave - as was I. :roflmao:

You could see what I meant about Alexander lacking heart though, I think.  He never really had any answer and any heart he did show wasn't for long before he went back into his shell. 

I didn't think it was as good a fight as some have said this morning.  It was too one-sided for that. 

Still, it does put Khan in a good position now.  If FMJ v Pac doesn't happen, he'll get FMJ or Pac.  If not, he can take on Kell Brook.  If he was to put a performance as controlled as last night in then he might stand a chance against Brook. 

You were pretty spot on with your pre fight prediction there NNMM.

The yanks seen quite impressed with Khan. I personally think Mayweather will avoid him, as I reckon Khan could do one on him.

I think PAC may actually be less of a threat to Mayweather than Khan.

Also not sure Brook has got the skill set (yet) to beat Khan.

Interesting weight division (national and international) though at the moment - welter.

Edited by Soulboy

As much as I would like to agree with you on Khan being able to beat FMJ, I just can't see how.  Mayweather is by far the best pound-for-pound boxer on the planet and probably a top 5 all-time boxer in that category.  Every time Khan tried to throw those combinations, he'd get tagged. 

Brook is a silky smooth boxer but his power is debatable and I haven't seen his chin properly tested yet.  However, I think he's a far cleverer boxer than Khan would ever be and I could see him outpointing him or drawing him in to a sucker punch that might finish it early.

I was interested to see that Andy Lee won last night and that makes him mandatory for Billy-Joe Saunders - and I can see Lee winning that.  I still don't rate Saunders too highly and if Eubank Jnr was to fight him again I think he'd beat him.  That defeat was all down to inexperience and bad corner instructions in my view.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

• 1 month later...

I'll believe it when it happens.

If it does, Mayweather wins without too much trouble.  Unfortunately.

p.s. just being reported is that Michael Koncz, the adviser for Manny Pacquiao, has dismissed reports about the fight being signed for May 2nd and said there are still a number of issues to be resolved before anyone will be sitting down and signing contracts.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Gatti V Ward

Just for anyone not up to speed with their boxing. Three wars these two had. Each of them a classic.

But they also really liked and respected each other out of the ring, which is too rare in boxing nowadays.

Tragically Gatti died in mysterious circumstances and the film The Fighter is based on the life of Micky Ward....

https://youtu.be/9k4bjNgEOpY

Edited by Soulboy

Arturo Gatti's death is no longer a mystery.  It is almost certain he was murdered.  The last investigation revealed a 'likely homicide'.

He was a superb fighter and the battles, as you mention, were those I'd love to see today.

Sadly missed in the sport and it doesn't seem that they'll ever get those responsible.

I didnt kniw that about Gatti. Thought it was still all confusion about whether his wife did or didnt do it.

Looking forward Canelo v Cotto in Nov. +++

Should be everything the Mayweather v Pacman wasnt.

Two of my favourites and finding it difficult to choose who I think will win.

I think I would like a draw unusually.

Current No 1 for me though is Rigondeaux.

Not popular with the American fans (Cubans aren't) as he doesnt get involved

in tear ups...but technically superb. Hit and don't get hit +++

His movement, balance, and speed are awesome.

https://youtu.be/IRUnF0Y1Vys

And he sure makes blocking and slipping look very easy at about the 1min mark here

https://youtu.be/v2rYriW2UQs

Edited by Soulboy

• 1 month later...

Golovkin is phenomenal. Baby faced assassin if ever there was one!

He has an amazing ability to be in range when he punches but just out of range when his opponent punches.

https://youtu.be/QC_IVHCgpqc

Can't see anyone jumping at the opportunity for a fight with him.

Would have loved to see him take Mayweather.

Edited by Soulboy

Triple G appears to be some form of superhuman pugilist

I can only figure that he has some form of super dense heavy skeleton as he hits with both hands like he is carrying a roll of quarters in each glove, cant say I have ever seen a middleweight bang quite like he does with either paw

The one I am looking forward to is Fury's next fight;any predictions from our resident boxing guru NNMM?

As long as Fury leaves in a box I'm happy.

You and me both +++

But I have an uncomfortable feeling that he has a much better chance of winning this fight than people give him

It will be a short fight as neither of them has a chin worth mentioning but that being said it is 50-50 who gets the first bomb in, as whoever lands that first will win