Surface Pro 3 ....

Mac

So... am going to try and force myself to use one of these for a week. Must admit first impressions are very cool, fast, and capable...but. Anyways, people interested in updates...? Not sure I'm the right target audience for such a unit but as travel buddy it could potentially work quite well.

My question remains the same - i3, i5 or i7 - I'd like to know which you have (or multiples of!).

I think the entry level i3 looks like a good alternative to the entry level Macbook Air - but I think I'd still use the latter.

It's the i7 top end model at £1,700 that I am struggling to get the target market for.  That is a high price and starts to land slap bang in very fast and very proven Macbook Pro territory.

So... am going to try and force myself to use one of these for a week. Must admit first impressions are very cool, fast, and capable...but. Anyways, people interested in updates...? Not sure I'm the right target audience for such a unit but as travel buddy it could potentially work quite well.

Will be interested in updates.

Re Target audience - from the marketing shpiel I have seen so far you probably ARE the target audience they are intending BUT could I suggest an extension to your review? Maybe also give one to a more "normal" consumer (H?) and see how they get one with one too as a tablet.

Would be nice to see how the one-platform mantra translates across if you happen to have a WinPhone to play alongisde it to see how well the sync of IE/apps etc works?

The fact you've not thought about what CPU is inside is clearly a positive sign for how they perform. 

I do hope the OS doesn't let it down through the updates and habitual slowing of operations as time goes on.  They've created something attractive in form and function but the latter needs to be consistent. 

The Macbook Air is a fearsome thing to try to take on though.  The speed and portability of MrsMe's Air 13" never ceases to amaze me.  If I was ever wanting to replace the Macbook Pro 15", iPad and desktop with something ultra portable that I know I could live with - it'd be a Macbook Air I'd choose.

I'd be interested to know how well the display performs.  The one area the Macbook Air fails is the display when compared to, say, my Retina display.  If Microsoft get the display bright and crisp enough, they could be on to a long term winner.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Does my head in. The biggest problem I have is that I'm technically aligned to the Seattle team - so I get the updates according to their schedule, not the the Euro one. Can be working and up pops the 'Updating....'. Gives me the ****ing rage. Even worse if I'm out and about and have a wifi connection - assumes that by default it's a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting read in your diary, we've got one of the original Surface RT's at home, and there are exactly the same issues as you mention, apps and using it on your lap.

Needs more apps and more usable ones. If you're sitting with it on your lap you need to use it as a tablet, we've got the touch keyboard and whilst it's surprisingly good when sitting at a table it flexes on the lap and is unusable.

We're trying to decide what to do get the kids at the moment, they're getting to that age where they're both needing something to do homework on. There's the one main home PC, wifeys Surface and a media centre (which is only used for media stuff). Not sure whether to go down the route of getting them PC's, laptops or tablets.

In all honesty it's going to be Windows based as we're primarily a Windows household but what do we get. Laptops, Windows tablet, Surface or Surface Pro?! Too many options!

Is it for homework StooH?

Budget I am guessing is also going to play a part?

As a "laptop" for a desk I think the SP3 with the touch keypad would be awsome and they could also have it as an oversized tablet.

Otherwise a windows laptop would be the most versatile and cheapest option I reckon

Currently my kids use my desktop for homework and if the both need it one in my office on the desktop and the other uses the laptop in the dining room (not comfortable enough to give them laptops in their rooms yet)

I had a meeting with a guy this morning and he brought a Surface (2 I think?) to show me a Powerpoint presentation on.

I'll be honest, I thought it was shit.

The display is nothing like as good as my iPad Air.  The machine was also very heavy.

He said he got it because it runs Windows so it has replaced his laptop and I get that entirely - but I did wonder why he'd not just bought a Macbook Air and thrown Parellels on it.  MrsMe's Macbook Air would have destroyed this machine in terms of performance.  I really wasn't impressed at all.

• 2 months later...

The Windows 10 event last night was interesting, and may actually make me think more seriously about selling my 2011 MB Pro for a Surface 3. Enjoying my Lumia 930 Windows 8.1 phone, and also bought an Xbox 1 last week.

Still in shock at buying these Windows products having been an Apple fan for so long. I'm just bored with Apple, and their silly pricing doesn't help now my tech budget is so much lower than a few years ago [2 kids and redundancy]

That silly pricing is rewarded with fantastic residuals though.  Simple fact, you'll always get a much higher percentage of your spend back and you'll never struggle to find a buyer.

The Windows 10, augmented reality. Conta-wotsit-thingy is very impressive indeed.

But, and its a big but, in reality it could be a while be a long time before you really get the full benefit of it or see even a fraction of what they demonstrated.

I will switch in a heartbeat if the hardware and software solution is up to scratch and offers me more with reliability.  Brand loyalty is a stupid thing and whilst I love the Apple products I have it won't stop be changing if something better comes along.

Right now though, all there is a lot of talk and demo's.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...