Soon be winter....

patently

Why anyone would wish for snow is beyond me.

It costs the UK economy a shitload of money, causes deaths, delays and endless suffering for the elderly - as well as additional costs in heating for businesses and the general public.

It baffles me.  When you're 5, I get it.  When you're not, I don't.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Funny you should mention that. 

I have, as it happens.  :roflmao:

Despite my protestations and the fact I think they're for girls, I have covered 10,000 miles in 3 months so I have to face the fact that winter wheels and tyres could pay for themselves by me not being late for a client one day IF snow ever lands in the South of England (where most of my client driving is).

So I've ordered a set of 17" wheels with Goodyear Ultragrip 8 winter tyres on them. :roflmao:

And I'm not joking.  I feel violated.  Ashamed.  Embarrassed.

p.s. what's the betting that I'll get stuck in snow for the first time ever now? :roflmao:

• Like 2

I have, as it happens. :roflmao:

Despite my protestations and the fact I think they're for girls, I have covered 10,000 miles in 3 months so I have to face the fact that winter wheels and tyres could pay for themselves by me not being late for a client one day IF snow ever lands in the South of England (where most of my client driving is).

So I've ordered a set of 17" wheels with Goodyear Ultragrip 8 winter tyres on them. :roflmao:

And I'm not joking. I feel violated. Ashamed. Embarrassed.

p.s. what's the betting that I'll get stuck in snow for the first time ever now? :roflmao:

How the worm turns!! :)

Not putting mine on until at least second week in December. Mainly because they make my car look sh1t and I have just spent a packet on new "proper" tyres!!

• Like 1

I have, as it happens.  :roflmao:

And I'm not joking.  I feel violated.  Ashamed.  Embarrassed.

I'm speechless.

I can utter no words.

No coherent sounds at all.

Mainly because I'm :roflmao: :roflmao:

• Like 3

You know another why?  I love this car.  I don't want to dent it if really bad snow does come.

It made common sense despite going against every fibre in my body.  The sheer amount of travelling I'm doing just means it has to happen. 

Don't think this was an easy decision.  I won't be putting them on the X6. :grin:

My next set of tyres will be due around mid-late December, so I'll have winters put on, not sure I'll really need them this year though, much like last winter, temperatures are still way above 10c, still averaging around 15 most days.

I can already tell the difference in certain circumstances though, my daily commute involves single track roads that are utterly filthy with mud and decaying leaves, passing places are few and far between so it's a gamble if you meet someone coming the other way.

This usually means going on to the muddy verge and ditches, I almost got stuck today, but managed to reverse back out downhill, the winter tyres make this road much less slippery and give me a better chance of not getting stuck in the mud!

#dailymail!!

I've probably more chance of being right than they have. :roflmao:

p.s. I shall also hold back for the same reasons as you.  I don't want to move from 19" to 17" until I have to, because the impact on the aesthetics of the car aren't particularly good (I suspect).  That said, the wheels look very similar in design (they're not quite identical but not far off.  I thought about going to 18" but they probably won't do quite as well in the snow as the narrower options on the 17" and the difference in price was quite marked too.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I have a question about that.  A genuine one.

Because I've ordered the wheels and tyres complete, I've also got some wheel stands that I'll put in the garage with the current wheels/tyres on.

So I'll be taking the wheels off by jacking the car up at home and doing a straight swap-over.

The question is whether or not people do any real torque testing when putting new wheels on?  Or do you just take it to the point the bolt stops turning and perhaps an extra turn for tightening? 

I have a question about that.  A genuine one.

Because I've ordered the wheels and tyres complete, I've also got some wheel stands that I'll put in the garage with the current wheels/tyres on.

So I'll be taking the wheels off by jacking the car up at home and doing a straight swap-over.

The question is whether or not people do any real torque testing when putting new wheels on?  Or do you just take it to the point the bolt stops turning and perhaps an extra turn for tightening? 

As you might imagine, we change wheels a lot in the paddock.  We are quite unbelievably paranoid about setting the torque of the wheel nuts.

Caterham wheels go to 74Nm.  I'd suggest 130Nm for a car the size of a 5 series, though - that's what I use for the 911.  And I would strongly recommend that you do it; under-torque is obviously not great, but over-torquing is not good for the health of the studs/bolts and (if anything) is worse news.  This chappie will sort you out.  Or this one. I've used both over time.

Some BMW wheels also have a pressure sensor that talks to the car, the first time they meet up they need to be introduced to each other.  So when you fit them, you might get an error message from the TPM system.  That's a quick trip to the dealer to solve, after that the car and the wheels remember each other in future.