Mercedes Christmas?

Rachel

I've pulled the trigger, my newest baby is getting the AMG High Performance Brake system for Xmas.

Bigger and fatter rotors with better cross drilling and slotting, and multipot (Brembo) callipers vs big sliding calipers.

Replace these (mine have Mercedes Benz stickering)

150387d1235363292-ml63-links-info-review

with these

Mercedes-Benz-ML63-AMG09.jpg

2014-M-CLASS-ML63-AMG-SUV-036-MCFO.jpg

Back callipers look identical to ML500, but have AMG logo, and are wider as the new rotor is not only vented, slotted and drilled, it is a lot thicker than the just vented rear rotor on the ML500.

• Like 1

Do they not come as standard on the Oz C63 ?!   I have the stock brakes and they are the six pot front, four pot rear Brembo jobs in Grey.   If ordering the Performance Pack, you get different material (composite) disks and red calipers.

2014-11-21%2014.06.32.jpg  2014-11-21%2014.06.42.jpg

Edited by Biscuits

On a tangent, but Aus-car related....

My sister took delivery of a used Golf GTi in Australia (Victoria, Melbourne), 8-9 weeks ago, from a main dealer.

I was surprised at some of the spec differences because I'd tried advising her from over here, but it became quickly apparent there are some major omissions.

That said, she got the car - and it has turned into a nightmare.

It has been in the dealers for 5 of the 8-9 weeks and came out yesterday....with no aircon and an additional engine knocking noise it hadn't had when it went in.  When she asked them about the aircon they said "Oh we didn't know it wasn't working" - to which she replied - "That's because it was when I brought it in!".

I've told her to dig her heels in but she's as soft as poo.  The warning signs were there when the handover was cut short as the salesman said the engine noise was 'normal' when it sounds like it very clearly wasn't.

Her husband is as soft as poo as well, so that isn't helping.

The General Manager (which I guess is their equivalent of dealer principal in the UK) has agreed to speak to me after I emailed him and I'm hoping I can lay some diplomatic but firm pressure on him. 

Unfortunately though, some people just accept sub-standard stuff and my sister and her husband are two of them.  Frustrates the hell out of me because I feel for her and want to help, but you've got to help yourself to begin with!

Were the OEM ones not up to scratch or is this just a bit of nail varnish?

They do look good.

The ones on the car are good, but I've had 3 muppets dive in front of me (pulling up to lights) in the last 2 weeks, and I've basically had the ABS trigger (boy is it aggressive in the ML - like a machine gun burst) in order to pull up. Thankfully in one of the cases another car pulled up next to the muppet, dropped the passenger window and hurled such abuse at the f*ktard - Diahatsu Sirion of all things, could have been a cool hood ornament - I could clearly hear it in the sealed cabin. :)

On all my previous cars with big multi-pot stoppers, I have never triggered the ABS in traffic, and I prefer the pedal feel to a sliding caliper - no matter how big, like the R36 or the XKR.

So I'm doing it for a bit of peace of mind as well as the bling factor under the 21" rims.

Trouble is I have to change insurers as a lot of the general insurers shit themselves over this kind of upgrade - even if it is for safety - and will refuse to insure the vehicle.

Edited by Rachel

What are the first ones Rach - a two piston sliding design?

Yes, big soft (beautifully progressive pedal feel) 2 pot sliders.

Weirdly the AMG rear calipers remain sliders other than the dimensional difference. Like the fast R series VWs I've had, it seems the MLs do 95% of their braking on the fronts...

The ones on the car are good, but I've had 3 muppets dive in front of me (pulling up to lights) in the last 2 weeks, and I've basically had the ABS trigger (boy is it aggressive in the ML - like a machine gun burst) in order to pull up.

Of course, the ABS triggered because the braking force being exerted by the old brakes exceeded the grip available from the tyres.  Upgrading the brakes won't actually help that (although it will help in lots of other lovely ways).

• Like 3

Yes, big soft (beautifully progressive pedal feel) 2 pot sliders.

Weirdly the AMG rear calipers remain sliders other than the dimensional difference. Like the fast R series VWs I've had, it seems the MLs do 95% of their braking on the fronts...

Thought so, quite an unusual set up?  I never had any complaints about the stopping power of the single piston sliding calipers on my B6 S4.  Also meant I could put 17" winter wheels over 345mm discs

Patently beat me to it, if anything, more powerful brakes will make the problem worse, changing the tyres to something with more grip is the only thing that will really work.

But they will look cool!

What is this problem of which you speak? I didn't say anything about a problem... I said about pedal feel and bling. :finger:

The "muppets" issue I think will be sorted out in a Darwinian fashion - they'll pull into the braking zone of something massive like a loaded B Double rig or a full concrete mixer... The fact all three offenders were extremely darkly suntanned suggests to me they thought they were still driving in a Mumbai Melee or Chennai Cross-country event... B Doubles are basically the size of 1/2 of one of Australia's famous outback road trains, and they take a long time to stop when loaded.

Edited by Rachel

Of course, the ABS triggered because the braking force being exerted by the old brakes exceeded the grip available from the tyres. Upgrading the brakes won't actually help that (although it will help in lots of other lovely ways).

Actually ABS would probably have triggered regardless of brake configuration as I suddenly only had 1/3 the distance to stop in...

Canberra is infamous for rear enders - due to the large non-Aussie number of drivers, mainly from India, Pakistan and SE Asia who come over, some may even transfer their licence (our road tests are more than a joke here, they are pathetic and actually dangerous) and drive as though they were still at home.

That and the fact 90% of them tail gate and also speed up in poor weather... :coffee:

Edited by Rachel
  • Like 1

On NNMM's tangent, nice to know VW are just as ****ing useless in Aus as they are here.

You'll never believe this.  Truly, you won't.

I wouldn't if I was you.

There are no more problems for VW to fix.  Not one.

She wrote the car off yesterday.  I'm not joking, I wish I was. 

Hit a kerb, bulleted over the road and hit a car parked on the other side.  No injuries to her or anyone else fortunately, but from what my brother-in-law has told me it sounds like the Golf is a write-off.  Beggars belief.  Cursed car?  No.  Just a fecking useless driver (and I did warn her I couldn't understand why she'd want a GTi when she has always been a bloody woeful driver).

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 2

Got a new business proposition for you NNMM.

Careful drivers pay you and your sister a yearly subscription for her to be low-jacked.  The subscription pays for a detector (think of the ones in Aliens) that starts going off when you get within 5km of your sister.  The unit only goes quiescent when she is at home, inside.

That or she could get a job "testing for Australian conditions" with every manufacturer that sells cars here.  :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to add...

Insurance (which is 3 years new for old, hire car and windscreen replacement for free) through the dealer with Allianz was looking like it had to be ditched because of my cool looking safety upgrade...

Well the group business manager for the dealer I use took them to task via her direct contacts (this car group are huge in NSW and ACT). They came back happy to insure the car with the upgrade, and with the upgrade cost ($15,600 r.r.p. - so a little over 10% of what I would have paid in full for the vehicle) adding 10% to the premium...

I'd say that could be classed as a significant win. :)

• Like 1