Ched Evans - Oldham Athletic

NewNiceMrMe

I'm delighted the deal is off.  For football, for Oldham and for his victim - that being the victim he continues to deny raping, despite the verdict of his peers.

He can say he didn't do it as many times as he wants, but as long as he continues to deny the evidence I've seen (and I've read truckloads of views on it), and refuses to apologise to her or accept his guilt, I don't ever want to see him on a football field again.

Others will have very different views and I'll respect them, but I probably won't understand them.

Threats to staff and families are ridiculous and out of order.

• Like 1

To be blunt, I am now left not only questioning the morality of the board but also their cowardice.

One of the many reasons I lapsed as a regular supporter is the continued involvement of someone who I suspect has had a major part to play in this farce.

I don't really blame the chairman though. At worst he is misguided in this. He remains the club's saviour.

• Like 1

He can say he didn't do it as many times as he wants, but as long as he continues to deny the evidence I've seen (and I've read truckloads of views on it), and refuses to apologise to her or accept his guilt, I don't ever want to see him on a football field again.

I don't know the man, I know little of the case against him nor the story thereafter and I understand little about the reason why he's being chased by Football Clubs, eager to sign for his services.

All I do know, is that if he's only got to 'right a wrong', someone in Authority in the game should take someone close to him aside and make the player do what's right.

Surely, he's part of the PFA or similar Organisation and rather than washing this entire debacle out on the public media wash (and through Social Media), someone in "authority" should quietly sort it all out behind the scenes as to me, it's just another ugly incident that by accident or otherwise, is associated with football...................

What happens if he wins the appeal, will everyone come back and say sorry you were right all along? I suspect not they will just disappear without a second thought.

I like many on this are really torn by what is going on. He has been convicted guilty and rightly been sent to prison for what is a horrible and horrific crime and served his time however short many might feel that is.

But he seems for whatever reason to insist that he hasn't done it. Now is that because he is a nasty piece of work that would do it again in a heartbeat or is he a genuine guy that has had an awful miscarriage of justice and feels he shouldn't have been convicted and wants to fix things? Because if that was me it would be like a living nightmare. 

But he seems for whatever reason to insist that he hasn't done it. Now is that because he is a nasty piece of work that would do it again in a heartbeat or is he a genuine guy that has had an awful miscarriage of justice and feels he shouldn't have been convicted and wants to fix things? Because if that was me it would be like a living nightmare. 

Read the evidence.  It is all there.  Then you can decide.+++

As for him winning an appeal, I think there is more chance of my being elected President of the United States, tomorrow, and marrying Liz Hurley in a ceremony on Mars.

Fair enough it wasn't something I was reading much about at the time. 

Looks like he is going to have to look for another job then as nobody wants to give him a job in the public spotlight. 

The victim seems to be having a hard time as well needing to move and change her identity due to threats against her if reports are correct. 

Read the evidence.  It is all there.  Then you can decide. +++

Read you loud and clear there, MrMe - but do you not agree with me that the game of Football, in whatever guise, had a duty of care to one of their own (Ched Evans) to direct him and tidy this sorry situation up - he clearly needs someone with authority from within the game to point him in the right direction....? 

Interesting article here: http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9410182/the-utterly-ludicrous-and-petty-campaign-against-ched-evans/

One air-headed columnist suggested that even though he had served his sentence, the woman he raped would have to live with his crime her entire life and, therefore, so should he. Ergo, he should not be allowed to play professional football. But what of the victims of muggers, killers, robbers, burglars? Do they not continue to suffer? Should we stop all criminals working on account of the legacy of misery and trauma they have left behind? I can see a case for saying ‘Yes we should!’ I don’t agree with it, but I can see the case.

But I can’t see the case for saying: no, only Ched Evans. Just him. The truth is that his case is the perfect example of the moronic inferno, the howl round of witlessness and politically motivated confected outrage.

I'm in agreement with Andy Bangle, though.  This is an utter non-issue that has been blown up because the radical feminists are angry, and stays in the news because football.  If the radfems had any sense then the object of their anger would be the sentencing guidelines that let him out before they thought he should be allowed back into society.  But they haven't, and the media can't leave a football-related story alone, so here we are.

Read you loud and clear there, MrMe - but do you not agree with me that the game of Football, in whatever guise, had a duty of care to one of their own (Ched Evans) to direct him and tidy this sorry situation up - he clearly needs someone with authority from within the game to point him in the right direction....? 

Believe it or not, the PFA have been advising him all along.

Personally, I don't think it's anyone's business what he does once the sentence is served.

He's been punished, that's the end of it.

Anyone complaining that he's not been punished hard enough should take it up (as Patently says above) with the authorities and campaign for the sentencing guidelines to be changed, not campaigning to stop him earning a living.

• Like 3

He has served his sentence but the argument is should he continue a career in the public eye as a possible role model.

Pretty sure an MP couldn't serve time for rape then continue as am MP on release.

Anyone that views a footballer as a role model is a moron anyway, but aside from that, yes a convicted person could (and they do) stand as an MP, however, they'd be unlikely to be adopted by any party due to the fact they'd be unlikely to get voted in, which is a corporate decision, not a legal one.

• Like 1