Formula 1 2015 Season.

Luke

Yeah I didn't want the Brazil race at all just didn't have the time and I've only just watched the highlights of yesterdays race. 

Fingers crossed everyone else gets closer to Mercedes otherwise we might be in for another year of watching the rest have fun whilst Hamilton and Rosberg go off into the distance. Yes that happens from time to time but personally its not great to see, good close racing right up until the last race of the season with 2/3 drivers in for a chance is what we really need. 

Crosses fingers for the closed season to sort things out again, come on guys catch the Mercs up!!

Nobody can tell me the drivers (Rosberg and Hamilton) drive the same once the title is decided.

It doesn't happen.

When you're fighting for something you do what Hamilton and other world champions always have done - they find that extra something.  As Bob says, the pressure is off Rosberg and Hamilton is already crowned, so the results mean nothing.

Nobody can tell me the drivers (Rosberg and Hamilton) drive the same once the title is decided.

It doesn't happen.

When you're fighting for something you do what Hamilton and other world champions always have done - they find that extra something. As Bob says, the pressure is off Rosberg and Hamilton is already crowned, so the results mean nothing.

This. Totally true. All drivers respond to pressure. Some crack and get worse, you can see it when you camp on their tail and they promptly cock up the next corner. Others use the pressure to push themselves a little harder, and promptly bugger off into the distance leaving you thinking "where the **** did he find the grip to do that?"

Oh, and http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/11/30/experts-seek-new-word-to-describe-this-f1-season/#.VlzQEV_fWnM :roflmao: at the comments about my personal hero Maldonado.

You mentioned Sniff Petrol.

That reminded me about their review of the Nissan Pulsar (I sought it out after our next door neighbour bought one some time ago).

Here's a couple of snippets from it.  Possibly some of my favourite all-time Sniff....

You went into a shop, you asked for some car, this is what you got.

A man in a supermarket car park appears to give the Pulsar a double take. He might just have had a twitch.

The Pulsar is going away. I do not want to buy one. You’re reading this website, you’re probably quite into cars, you will not want to buy one either.

• Like 1

Sniff's "serious" car reviews are some of his best stuff. +++

I drove a Nissan Pulsar rental in Aus. Four door saloon, 1.4 petrol, automatic. It was an car. It was white, like a kitchen appliance*. It did everything a car is supposed to do, no more, no less, just like a kitchen appliance. The most impressive thing about it was that it accommodated three adults, two kids and a week's worth of luggage. It was as exciting to drive as this season's Formula 1 season was to watch**, only it sounded slightly better - especially if you put your foot down at about 60mph, at which point the only discernable response was that it got louder.

* Actually, what the hell is going on with that these days? It's all backwards. Kitchen appliances are all silver and metallic grey, cars are all white.

** Neat link back to the thread topic there.

Our neighbour bought one in burgundy.

It replaced a Citroen Picasso of about 15 years old that had more dents than any car I have ever seen. 

Sniff are spot on about the buyers of Pulsars.  They're clearly just a decent mid-sized family car for getting about in, and that's what people want.  However, I'll share this with you....

He said this about it:

"We needed a new car and Benfield had a 0% offer on these.  So we went and bought one and it's really good.  It's nice and quiet."

I swear to god, that was it.  They'd not test driven one, they'd never seen one before and they choose burgundy because he said it probably wouldn't look dirty quite as quickly as the other colours.  So Porter has nailed it.  The Pulsar is the perfect car for people who just want a car and don't care about anything else.  Credit to Nissan for spotting that, because it clearly does what it says on the tin!

Oh, and I owned two Nissan Sunnys, although technically one was a Pulsar.

Both were superb in different ways, the Sunny GTi was quick and handled fairly well, proper sleeper, the Pulsar was fast, properly fast, 4wd and a big turbo meant not much could touch it off the lights, but it handled like a pig, even with uprated suspension and strut braces top and bottom, front and rear, the shell was simply too soft and twisty, you could hear it creaking if you bumped up a curb, no wonder it never won any rallies.

Edited by Tipex

An old friend was a Nissan dealer sales manager back in the 90s. I bought a few Nissans from him over the years. He said much the same about the Sunny/Pulsar GTI R. Basically warned me off them! Probably the best car I bought from him was a 1998 Primera 2.0GT. That car survived some real punishment.

He was also good mates with Andy Middlehurst. Went to see him race in the National Saloons a few times, visited his dealership a few more times, if I could have afforded one at the time I would almost certainly have bought an R34 Skyline from him.

The Primera GT was a fantastic car.  I had one for a month (in that lovely bright blue - when I wrecked my MX5 ironically!).

The Sunny GTi-R is surely a legendary hot hatch.  One of the best and a car capable of ridiculous speed on twisty roads.  I seem to recall it was hitting 62 mph in around 5.5 seconds before tuners even got started on it.  230 hp and 140+ mph!

There's an import for sale just a few miles from us at £6,995 that has only done 42,000 miles. 

Nissan Pulsar GTi-R for sale

It looks very good.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Sadly the chassis just wasn't really up to it. It was a rocket ship by late 80s/early 90s standards, but it was then eclipsed by the Impreza.

Oh, absolutely.  Still, it'd be great fun as a weekend and investment car now.  They're certainly not going to be doing anything but appreciating in value.

I bought a Primera GT for one of the Scumball rallies after the Audi I'd previously bought refused to work, have to say, the Primera surpassed all expectations and made the whole trip far more enjoyable than it would have been in the Audi, save for the 5 pot soundtrack perhaps.

The Pulsar GTiR could have been legendary, sadly the reality as I described above, is it's one of the worst.

A true one trick pony, it'd beat most things away from the lights, but show it a corner and it's not interested, it robs you of all the fun of a twisty road thanks to an appalling chassis and ends up being thoroughly schooled by far more humble machinery.

Oh, absolutely. Still, it'd be great fun as a weekend and investment car now. They're certainly not going to be doing anything but appreciating in value.

That prediction is up there with your sporting ones sadly, they won't appreciate, and you'd be far better off spending your money on something else, both as an investment, and for fun.

I'm really surprised to hear that. I always had them down as twisty road fun machines but I don't have first hand experience of one on country lanes from a drivers perspective.

It's a shame too, they could have been epic, but the chassis issues were so plain to see, if I pulled up my driveway at an angle, just a standard dropped curb and not particularly steep, you could feel the car twisting, it had worse scuttle shake than most convertibles.

I spend thousands trying to sort it, braces all over the place, suspension, roll bars etc but to no avail, I got rid of it after about a year.

On the Nissan forums people used to speak about them as if they really were some hallowed beast, then they buy one and like me, soon realise it was all hype, sell up and move on.

• 2 weeks later...