BMW M2

Andy_Bangle

They're both good. Get the one you want.

A BMW dealer once tried to persuade me to get an auto box because it would be worth more in resale. I asked how much more - he said it could easily be £1,000 more. I pointed out that the option was £1,200…

So it ends up neutral. Get whichever you prefer.

• Like 3

They're both good. Get the one you want.

A BMW dealer once tried to persuade me to get an auto box because it would be worth more in resale. I asked how much more - he said it could easily be £1,000 more. I pointed out that the option was £1,200…

So it ends up neutral. Get whichever you prefer.

Yup.

This is why I can't ever quite get away with a business lease on the promoted deals.  They never have the options I want and, once you start adding them, the deals become a lot less better value.

I buy my cars based on what I'll want in them, not on a deal basis or what a dealer tells me is better.

I added somewhere in the region of £8k to the 520d.  The list would have been about £44k, making it a very expensive 5 series (pre-discounting), and I'm sure some would say I should have bought a 530d or 535d.  However, they're different cars and I wouldn't have been able to have all the toys I wanted (not to mention the mile munching economy).

Just spec a car with all the things you want on it and then do a deal from there.  I hate having to get into a car and think "Oh, I wish I'd added X, Y or Z".  It costs me in the long run but, if you'll pardon the pun, it also makes the long runs more comfortable.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I definitely don't think manual will harm resale on the M2, and to me it would suit the car better, unless you need it to do regular distance commuting.

Looking forward to seeing one in Long Beacb Blue. There's an X5M (still!) at my dealer in LBB and I'm pretty sure that monstrosity doesn't do the colour justice! :uhoh:

Thanks for the input everyone.+++

I will probably stick with the manual. I really hated DSG on the R32. That got stolen and i have had manual ever since.

Also, I don't do a lot of commuting nowadays, which i also perceive as a big reason for picking an auto.

In fact I only do about 8k pa and mostly A roads and motorways.

Defo get folding ears as the garage is tight.

Will also get memory seats as will be swapping with Mrs often and I hate losing my seat position.....gives me backache.

Heated seats to as they are leather.

• Like 1

Am I also correct in thinking the chance of getting a discount on an M2 in the UK is nil?

One of the other reasons I really want this car, is that if all the initial road tests are true, and they are also going to be very limited in number......then I would imagine they will become very sought after and have great residuals.

Thats my thinking anyway.

Limited in number to begin with, they may be.  I'd be amazed if they remain like that and I personally wouldn't be putting an ounce of faith in them becoming any more sought after than other cars or having better residuals.

I could be wrong, but very few M cars actually have great residuals.  It is one area in which the Audi RS range, by comparison, has always held the upper hand.  For some reason, they always command better residuals.

• Like 1

The M2 isn't a limited model, it's a mass produced model with a production run until ca.2020, currently only thing limited is supply due the factory being at max capacity building those pesky 2 series Active things. Therefore for the first year or so residuals will hold strong and then tail off as more cars come of the market.

If BMW build the M2 CS or M2 CSL then they will be more sought after long term.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Incredible how an baby "entry" M BMW these days has the same power as the late 90's Ferrari 355

Whilst I agree with that - the sound of a 355 makes an M2 sound crap.  Then there is the looks of it.  Still one of the most beautiful cars ever made in my opinion.

I saw a 355 F1 GTS recently and I took a junction before the one I was due to because I was so engrossed with staring at it. :roflmao:

Whilst I agree with that - the sound of a 355 makes an M2 sound crap.  Then there is the looks of it.  Still one of the most beautiful cars ever made in my opinion.

I saw a 355 F1 GTS recently and I took a junction before the one I was due to because I was so engrossed with staring at it. :roflmao:

This.

Hell yeah.

+++

• 4 weeks later...

Red the auto / manual thing - the 8 speed box is

I don't think I'd ever go back to a manual now. Was heavily manual biased as always thought every auto I've had has been crap or a massive compromise.

Can see me in a DCT M2 once I've stopped fannying about.

• 2 months later...

Dealer just phoned me and I am now 4th in the queue.....and they are coming in batches of 2 or 3.

So looking like very early next year.

The order book at the dealers has now been closed as they said anyone ordering now will not get one, due to very limited supply and limited production run.

30 minutes ago, Soulboy said:

The order book at the dealers has now been closed as they said anyone ordering now will not get one, due to very limited supply and limited production run.

From what I have read, that is nothing more than dealer hype.

Reports in Germany and the USA have said BMW will have the M2 in production all the way up to 2020 in increasingly larger numbers.

Right now they might be tricky to get hold of but it is going to change and they're certainly not going to be in very limited supply (beyond this year).

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1