Blatter.....

cruiser647

That is also a significant point in all of this.

It isn't a "company".

it is an Association.  However, it isn't an association as we might know one, it is governed by the laws of Switzerland.

That gives it what one might call 'flexibility'. :roflmao:

Another interesting little footnote about FIFA, and one of the reasons they absolutely hate England so much (which they undoubtedly do), is because very few people realise that FIFA don't control the rules of the game.

They have a major say in them, but they do not govern them entirely.

The IFAB (International Football Association Board) does that and it has 8 panel members.  Four are from FIFA.  The other four are from....England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.   The one thing we have managed to cling on to, much to the annoyance of FIFA, is the rules.  The IFAB was formed in 1882, long before FIFA was.  Throughout football years, they have point blank refused to pass control of the rules to FIFA and have dug their heels in and insisted that 4 members remain from the 'founding countries'.

It is reasonable to say FIFA tend to get what they want because they have 50% of the panel and the other 4 members don't like to be seen to disagree with them all the time.  However, the English representative of the panel has disagreed with their game rule changes more than any other member.

To get a rule change you need 6 out of 8 members to vote for it.  England, Scotland and Wales have been notoriously problematic to FIFA where that is concerned.  Northern Ireland have been pushovers.

When you look into all the little details like this, you can see why they really, really, really don't like us.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Amazing.  When you watch the rugby with their ref chest cams, mics and video replays for incidents and sin-bins for 10 mins or so - superb!

Football would be so much better.

Listening on the radio one evening and I heard the ref pull up a player and the player listened.  The the player responded 'Sorry sir'.   And the play continued!  Fantastic!

I'd not be so quick to laud rugby.

We have seen players arguing with refs (Robshaw did it a lot) and a Scottish player diving in a quite appalling manner.

Rugby isn't the godly and saintly sport many make out.  Football is an easy target, but if that Scottish players dive had been on a football pitch in a World Cup we'd be seeing rugby fans globally laughing about it and saying how bad football was. 

Sepp Blatter, Fifa president, Uefa chief Michel Platini and Fifa secretary-general suspended by ethics committee  http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34474231

Fifa: Sepp Blatter, Michel Platini & Jerome Valcke suspended

Fifa has provisionally suspended its president Sepp Blatter, secretary general Jerome Valcke and vice-president Michel Platini for 90 days.

Former Fifa vice-president Chung Mong-joon has been banned for six years and fined 100,000 Swiss Francs (£67,000).

The punishments were handed out by the ethics committee of football's world governing body.

Blatter, Valcke and Uefa president Platini are being investigated by the committee over corruption allegations.

"The grounds for these decisions are the investigations that are being carried out by the investigatory chamber of the ethics committee," it said in a statement.

The three are banned from any football activity in the interim. They deny any wrongdoing.  <_< 

Edited by Andy_Bangle

They've removed their support.

Not according to any of the news sources I listen to, they are all saying they will support until any proof of wrong doing.

Also, Platini is defying the suspension by continuing with his duties (illegally) pending an application for an appeal.

Latest from UEFA suggests Platini will suspend his duties while he challenges the "incredibly vague" charges against him.

Much as I despise Napolean, I think he and the Korean chap have every right to challenge the legitimacy of FIFA's ethics committee. This smacks of Blatter meddling to discredit all his presidency challengers.

FA have today officially suspended* their support for Platini, having spoken to his legal team and viewed evidence against him.

*Suspended pending the outcome of legal proceedings, not sure why they don't just say 'withdrawn' rather than suspended, odd choice of words.

Edited by Tipex

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to rumble on for the forseeable, purely on the basis of the legalities of what appears to be an entity without any formal structure or legal liability that would be normal for any other trading entity

The only avenues this can be approached from are for money laundering or tax evasion and where Switzerland are concerned that might just prove a difficult nut to crack

If you take into account just how long this has been going on with Bladder at the helm, it would suggest that a swift resolution is not a given

The difference is that the US have real power in this now.

I am much more optimistic about the existing people being convicted.  I think it'll happen, including Blatter.

My pessimism lies within the nominees for his replacement.  None of the candidates are the right choice, far from it.