Welcome the MarkV Golf R36.

TP27

An update from my Stealer is that we should see VW producing a Mk 5 Golf R36 in late Autumn 2005. The effort is on the Mk5 Golf GTi at present but I've been told to expect the R36 here in the UK by late 2005/early 2006. I know there have been posts on this topic in the past but any of you being given similar news? TP.

Was in the dealers this morning, saw the Mk V again and I think that VAG have got a major task on their hands to make the car look half as nice as the Mk IV. IMHO, the car is ugly and the Mk IV R32 will remain the ultimate looking performance golf! (I am not being biased either blush.gif)

Big wheels, lowered suspension and a subtle bodykit will not be the answer to this problem my dear friends in VAG!!

Seems to be the case here with the MK V. Although it is Car of the Year and the press favourite over the Astra and Focus, the stealers are saying the Mk V Golf is at least £1,500 too expensive for the punters and they cannot discount. This might change, just in time for the 2005 R36 and as SK says, VW might provide real leather by then!!

Bob, my dealer was trying to say that it's a sign of assured success, i.e. if people are not sure about the shape right from the start, rather than loving it. He has a point if you consider the Focus which, arguably, still doesn't look that dated (from the outside) but people thought was a bit 'space-age' at the time.

The R36 (will they *really* put such a big an engine in? Not very PC etc.) will doubtless look modern when it comes, but will it have the character of the MK4?

I was kind of hoping the new R32 wouldnt have a 3.6 lump under the bonet. It will mean the car will be heavyer yet, and all in the bloody front. It would please me further to keep a 3.2 block (possibly a new one more similar to the M3's), try to extend the redline, and try to get about 320bhp+ out of the fecker..Make it like a super civic type R, just much nicer and of better quality..

Of course this will make it too expencive, but it would be nice smashfreakB.gif

320hp out of a 3.2l from VW? Somehow I doubt it. The 3.6L makes sence. What I thought would be cooler was a 3.2l Turbo.. now THAT would be fun smile.gif

THe 3.6l wont be heavier probably because it uses the SAME engine block as the 3.2. They just bore out the pistons a bit and probably change the stroke as well.

-=GR

I was at AMD yesterday and after thinking about the bi-turbo mod they are worried it may get to costly thus no demand for it. They have been speaking to a few companies and are now seriously looking at a supercharger.

By the way for anyone that's been there did you manage to get a lift into town in their Audi A4? I did and it was awesome currently running at 450bhp!! smashfreakB.gif

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

Was in Wayside Milton Keynes today and asked sales guy about R models in Mk5 Golf, he stated the R36 was defo on the cards. B*llshit?

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Autocar this week reports VW are in progress with a 270bhp 3.6 L FSI V6 to replace the 3.2 currently used in the Touareg - then goes on to say :

"This engine will for the basis for a new generation of hot VW group products - the R36 name has already been registered."

true ? or more rumour ??

Bazza, I usually buy Autocar but of late they really seem to be getting more like The Sun in grabbibg 'exclusives'. The last vw one was when they stated that ABT would be the new tuning arm of vw, like amg/merc. 2 months later ABt pulled out of UK because they were skint!! And they keep doing these artist impressions of cars like the RS3 etc when I dont think they have a clue. The 3.6 feature does sound related though, so who knows!!!!

Luke beerchug.gif

again, its only speculation written by autocar, but they say that the RS3 is going to have a Twin Turboed 3.2L FSI lump (presumably more or less the same as in R32/ TT 3.2 etc.), then surely the next "R" would share this engine???

Though I also heard somewhere else that the next "R" is going to be more of a cruiser (so a 3.6L NA lump would suit), and the GTi's are going to be the hottest of the new golfs...

who knows...! confused.gif