a8 4.2 tdi auxillary heater

Mechcanico Lee

Hello all first post on here so take it easy , i have been reasearching the auxillary heater mod on my a8 and seen a post from a Ridley Scott .... seems like a knowledgeable chap on this issue ........ is he still about ?

Anyhow here goes , i have removed the bumper and inner arch panel and fitted the webasto electric pump onto the auxillary fuel burning heater , so far so good

The mmi already has the function for switching the auxillary heater on and it also has the timer functions in the display already there...... before i fitted the water pump the auxillary heater would fire up and run no problems by the way .

After fitting the electric water pump i am getting this code in aux heating

7696868C-E659-4B20-BB35-42611735EE71_zps

This code was not there previous to the fit of the electric pump

What happens now with the car ......  if i put igniton on but not start and go into mmi menu and switch aux heating on the burner fires up and runs and after a few miutes i am getting heat from the blowers in the car , after a while it gets nicely warmed up ....this tells me that the water pump must be working to get the heat in the car ..so far so good .

If i set the timer to come on with the car locked up on the drive the burner fires up at the preset time and runs for so long , after a few mins a can here the pipework 'thunking , gluging '  .....the burner is boiling the water in the unit because the electric pump must not be running .

I have read the post from this site back from 2011 about the coding of the aux heater changing the 00000 to 00003 but stii not having any joy when it is set on the timed setting .

The fault code must have some bearing on this  i would of thought

Many thanks Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Fellar, do you have a "1" in Adaptation channel 16?

Here is a text file of snippets I have collected over the years....

Also adapt a "1" in to channel 21 to get the Engine preheat option in the MMI.

• Aux Heater module of Audi A8 (4E), unlock heater module by saving a 1 in Adaptation Channel 007, then clear fault codes.

code 1

1+2+8+16+64 = 155

code 2

2048+16384+32768 = 51200

code 3 

TOTAL CODE = 0116891

Try adding 131072 + 0116891 = ****0247963***

to disable occupancy sensors

Adaptation

01  8=4˚ aux heat

02  8=4˚ aux heat

03  0= disabled WOT shutoff

06  0=intelligent aux heat/vent

07  1=shut off time aux when ign off

08  1= voice recognition quiet mode

16  1=activate aux heater if required for residual heat function

18  0=shut off when energy manager says so

19  0=use aux heater when required by heater demand

20  1=rear heated seats not switched off after 10 mins

21  1= add another line to MMI

Coding air conditioner Climatronic control unit -J255

The overall code is composed of three subcodes as follows:

Breakdown of code "1" (optional extras):

Code 

Meaning

Code number (for conversion if encoding is not performed in  Guided Fault Finding)

No assignment (always "1")

Vehicle with auxiliary heater

Vehicle with heated windscreen

Vehicle with heat-absorbing glass

Vehicle with rear Climatronic control unit -E265-

Vehicle with Audi one-touch memory (Fingerprint)

Vehicle with rear roller blind

Vehicle with sun roof with solar cells

Breakdown of code "2" (country version and vehicle model

Vehicle for USA (and Canada)

Vehicle for Japan

Code not used at present (intended for cold climates, e.g.      Scandinavia)

512 + 256

Code not used at present, intended for hot climates, e.g.    Australia and Saudi Arabia (introduction pending) - The control is set up largely as for the USA.

Vehicle with diesel engine

Vehicle with 8-cyl. engine

Vehicle with 10-cyl. engine

4096 + 8192

Vehicle with 12-cyl. engine

Right-hand drive vehicle

Vehicles with stretched body

Breakdown of code "3" (rear seat heating and ventilation, seat covers and glazing):

Code   

Meaning

Vehicles with rear Climatronic control unit - E265- with control for heated rear seats but without control for    ventilation for rear seats

65536 +131072

Vehicle with control for heated rear seats and with control for ventilation for rear seats

Seat design (seat covers in vehicles with seat ventilation)   - Seat cover version "1".

Seat design (seat covers in vehicles with seat ventilation) - Seat cover version "2".

524288 + 26214

Seat design (seat covers in vehicles with seat ventilation) - Seat cover version "3"

Vehicle glazing 

Coding for vehicles with 8-cyl. engine and heat nsulating glass. - Actuation of heated rear window

stays on even at temperatures below 0 °C but time-limited depending on ambient temperature between 2 

and 20 min).

2097152 + 1048576

Vehicle glazing  - Coding configured with heat insulating glass with infrared characteristic line. - Introduction of this version pending. - Intended e.g. for PR no. "VW8".

Notes

Ventilation for the rear seats is only offered in conjunction with heated rear seats.

If Climatronic front control and display unit -J255- is to be encoded by way of direct entry of number code using function "07 Code control unit", the code numbers of the various versions and the 3 codes have to be added together. 

Example: Code "1" e.g. "83" Code "2", "4096" Code "3" (vehicle without

rear Climatronic control unit -E265-) "0" Sum total of codes "1", "2" and "3" = "4179".

Adaption of Climatronic control unit -J255

Adaption channel 01

Basic setting ex  factory 000

Temperature increase after start of auxiliary heating/ventilation mode.

This function is in display and operating units fitted at start of production 

Not yet active (introduction pending).

- At basic setting 0 the specified temperature in auxiliary heating/ventilation mode is set equal to the specified temperature in air conditioner mode.

- By way of the adaptation function the specified temperature can be increased in 0.5 °C increments by up to 4.0 °C (input value 1...8).

Adaption channel 02

Temperature increase at end of preset auxiliary heating/ventilation period.

This function is in display and operating units fitted at start of production 

Not yet active (introduction pending).

- At basic setting 0, the specified temperature in auxiliary heater/ventilation mode is set to the same level as the specified temperature in air conditioning mode.

- By way of the adaption function the specified temperature can be increased in 0.5 °C increments by up to 2.0 °C (input value 1...4).

Adaption channel 03

Basic setting ex  factory 001

Compressor shut-off by engine control unit via AC compressor shut-off function.

- At basic setting 1 activation of the AC compressor regulating valve -N280 is disabled as soon as the request is received from the engine control unit.

- By way of the adaption function shut-off of activation of the AC compressor regulating valve -N280 based on AC compressor cut-in can be suppressed by changing the adaption to 0. (The -J255 ignores the request.)

Adaption channel 04

Motor/AC transmission ratio (dependent on compressor motor variant). The assignment to the respective engine is transmitted over the convenience system data bus.

- Adaption cannot be altered

Adaption channel 05

Expanded AC readiness.

- Adaption cannot be altered

Adaption channel 06

Decision-making aid, auxiliary heating/ventilation.

- At setting 0 (basic setting) the -J255 decides (at ignition on, by way of the measured actual and preset specification temperatures), whether the auxiliary heater is started or whether the system operates in auxiliary ventilation mode.

- At setting 1 (last function) the -J255 always requests the last set mode regardless of the measured and preset temperatures.

Adaption channel 07

Shut-off response, auxiliary heating/ventilation.

- At setting 0 (basic setting) the auxiliary heating/ventilation mode is maintained until the preset operating time has elapsed or is switched off manually.

- At setting 1 the auxiliary heating/ventilation is switched off when the engine is switched off.

Adaption channel 08

Reduction of fresh air blower speed with voice recognition. This function is not yet active with Climatronic control units fitted at start of production (introduction pending).

- At setting 0 the fresh air blower speed is not reduced.

- At setting 1...X the fresh air blower speed is reduced by the preset value.

Adaption channel 09

Currently not used (or no readout).

Adaption channel 10

Basic setting ex  factory 010

Limitation of air temperature control after evaporator.

- At setting 10 the -J255 can regulate the output of the air conditioner (dependent on the setting) from a temperature as low as 10 °C.

- At setting 05...09 the upper control limit for the temperature of the air downstream of the evaporator is fixed to the preset value (e.g. 05 corresponding to 5°C).

Adaption channel 11

Shut off solar function.

- At setting 1 the line for solar roof operating mode is displayed on the MMI. Operation of the fresh air blower via the solar roof can be switched on and off.

- At setting 0 the line for solar roof operating mode is not displayed on the MMI. If a solar roof is fitted, it cannot be switched off.

Adaption channel 12

Adaption channel 13

Adaption channel 14

Adaption channel 15

Basic setting ex  factory 060

Fresh air blower speed in auxiliary heating/ventilation mode.

- At setting 60 the -J255 regulates the maximum voltage at the fresh air blower -V2 e.g. to 6V.

- At setting 30...80 the fresh air blower speed is regulated to the preset value (45 corresponding to 4.5 V for example). Basic setting ex factory: 70 or 60.

Adaption channel 16

Activation of auxiliary heater in residual heat function.

- At setting 0 the -J255 does not activate the auxiliary heater on activating the residual heat function.

- At setting 1 the -J255 activates the auxiliary heater on activation of the residual heat function if additional heat energy is required to achieve or maintain the set temperature.

Adaption channel 17

Display depends on part number.

Currently not used

Adaption channel 18

Deactivation of electrical consumers when requested by energy management control unit

-J644.

- At setting 0 the request is implemented.

- At setting 1 the request is not implemented. But the power output for the consumers concerned is limited by the -J255 to 600 W.

Adaption channel 19

Activation of fuel-powered additional heater (auxiliary heater) on vehicles with diesel engine.

- At setting 0 the additional heater is activated by the J255 if additional heat energy is required to achieve or maintain the set temperature.

- At setting 1 the -J255 does not activate the additional heater in Econ mode (setting on MMI).

Adaption channel 20

Deactivation of rear seat heating (only vehicles with rear Climatronic control unit 

-E265). This function is not yet active on control and display units fitted at start of production (phase-in from December 2002).

- At setting 0 the rear seat heating (left and right) is automatically deactivated about 10 minutes after switch-on.

- At setting 1 the seat heating is not switched off automatically.

Adaption channel 21

Deactivation of engine preheating function in auxiliary heater mode. This function is not yet active with Climatronic control units fitted at start of production (introduction pending).

- At setting 0 the line for engine preheating mode is not displayed on the MMI. (The engine is only preheated when surplus heat is available from the auxiliary heater.)

- At setting 1 the line for engine preheating mode is displayed on the MMI. (The engine is preheated if this mode is set.) This setting is not implemented on all vehicles (dependent on the MMI variant). The adaption of the auxiliary/additional heater should be changed in line with the customer’s wishes where appropriate.

Adaption channel 22

Adaption of fresh air blower characteristic (phase-in from December 2002).

- At setting 0 the fresh air blower runs at the speed assigned to that coding.

- At setting 1 the fresh air blower runs at a somewhat lower speed across the full characteristic line.

- At setting 2 the fresh air blower runs at a somewhat higher speed across the full characteristic line. )Corresponds to the characteristic stored for the USA coding.)

Adaption channel 23

Adaption of temperature characteristic (phase-in from December 2002).

- At setting 0 the -J255 regulates the temperature to the values assigned to that coding.

- At setting 1 the temperature in Winter is regulated to a somewhat warmer temperature characteristic. 

- At setting 2 the temperature in Summer is regulated to a somewhat warmer temperature characteristic. )Corresponds to the characteristic stored for the USA coding.)

Adaption channel 24

Currently not used

- Intended for reduction of air flow to windscreen after starting (adaption 1, introduction pending).

Adaption channel 25

Currently not used

- Intended for setting to increase air flow to footwell in cooling mode (adaption 1, introduction pending).

Adaption channel 26

Currently not used

- On with vehicles with rear Climatronic control unit -E265, intended to increase the fresh air blower speed accordingly for more rapid attainment of the specified temperature following alteration of the specified temperature (adaption 1, introduction pending).

Adaption channel 81

Currently not used

The chassis number must  be deleted via the component protection function after replacing the Climatronic control unit -J255.

Edited by snapdragon

Thanks for that SD some good info , I got it all working the other day , it was a slight code change on the aux heating module , the car was already active for the aux heating and timer function .

It works a treat , if I set it for 30 mins before I get in in the morn its lovely and warm , in fact hot , carnt see why you need the diverter valve which closes off the engine but not winter yet so we shall see .

I still have the code but not worried about that , from reasearch the code is some missing can data batches that the climate and aux heating its to talk to one another at a higher level but the basics of comms are present

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lee,

Would you happen to have any hint/tips on installing the pump? Each year (around Oct/Nov) I keep thinking about doing this mod, but chicken out due to the complexity. Aux heating is enabled in MMI/VCDS and I have the correct battery for it too (supplied by Audi, as they noticed my car had Aux Heating enabled and spec'd the new battery accordingly!). I have the 3.0TDi, so not sure if that would make it any easier. Ideally, I'd like to think it could be done without removing the front bumper!?

Thanks

Tony

Not sure on the 3L is the aux heater still under drivers side headlight ?? If so the bumper and under arch guard has to be removed .

On my car the exhaust was seized onto the burner I could not shift it , would of snapped I reckon , so I had to remove a stabilizer bar to pull the whole unit into the wheel arch area .

The posting that someone did was a good guide but you can see that the car looks pretty new , try the same job with 9 years of corrosion on the bolts .

It took me 5 hours to do the job .... that's on a ramp and with a fully equipped work shop and all tools at hand and I work on cars for a living .

But I would say get it done .... it's superb , if I set it for half an hour before I get in the car it is lovely and toasty hot inside .

The water pump and hoses that's needed cost around £85 so in parts it's cheap the rest is graft