Any issues if I swap my OS SSD from an old SATA2 mobo to a new SATA3 one?

Waylander

Long story short I thought my psu had died.

Realised now it is faulty caps onmy mobo so time for a new mobo (basically time for a new machine as I will need new CPU/RAM also)

I have my os on a crucial m500 ssd on an old lga775 mobo (sata2)
Any problems dropping this straight onto new mobo or will i have to reinstall?

I have mapped all user data/photos/movies to a separate HDD

TO save on thread numbers I figured a LGA1150 mobo with Haswell i5 and 16gb ram?

(big step up from a Q6600 core2quad with 8gb ram)

Well...it depends.

Have a look in the BIOS and see what mode the SATA 2 port is - it'll probably be in IDE/Compatibility whereas SATA3 should be in AHCI.

So, plug SSD into SATA 3 result is STOP <hammertime xxxxxSomeNumber> inaccessible boot device.

Fortunately those clever folk at Microsoft have a workaround for this. Assuming it is in IDE/Compatibility, go here, and and find fix this for me. Do it, then you *should* be able to plug it in to the SATA3 machine.

Now, if the m/b chipsets are all different it'll probably take Windows a while to sort its stuff out....just leave it be, unless it's weird chipset then it should work it out.

If it doesn't work drop Mr Me a line, I'm sure he'll help :P

Edited by Mac
  • Like 1

Well...it depends.

Have a look in the BIOS and see what mode the SATA 2 port is - it'll probably be in IDE/Compatibility whereas SATA3 should be in AHCI.

So, plug SSD into SATA 3 result is STOP <hammertime xxxxxSomeNumber> inaccessible boot device.

Fortunately those clever folk at Microsoft have a workaround for this. Assuming it is in IDE/Compatibility, go here, and and find fix this for me. Do it, then you *should* be able to plug it in to the SATA3 machine.

Now, if the m/b chipsets are all different it'll probably take Windows a while to sort its stuff out....just leave it be, unless it's weird chipset then it should work it out.

If it doesn't work drop Mr Me a line, I'm sure he'll help :P

LOL

I am pretty sure you have educated me in the past regarding AHCI - looked in my device driver (didn't dare the russian roulette of a reboot) and it is running on iaSTOR which is the intel AHCI/RAID controller not IDE +++

Going from a Intel P35 chipset to Intel Z97 (Hasswell) chipset so I'm assuing it will be easy.

With kids schools/work etc can't afford the downtime to reinstall and resetup etc etc and I figure I'm going o bump up to Win10 anyway so will try this.

Of course the *proper* way to deal with such shittery is to abstract the hardware from the OS using virtualisation. All of this becomes irrelevant. My Win machine setup runs on whichever device I happen to pick up at the time. The JOYS of virtualisation.

Indeed - it is telling my MBP is WAY more powerful that this desktop.

I have eleventy billion excuses not to do this right now and would still like to have a desktop command centre.

Once I finally get my crap together for a home server things should change....

First step - persuade local computer shop to swap my new cheap-ass case for  a more expensive silent one.

I can't abide this whooshing fan noise at all going from my near-silent Antec Sonata

With kids schools/work etc can't afford the downtime to reinstall and resetup etc etc and I figure I'm going o bump up to Win10 anyway so will try this.

Honestly, abstraction sorts this out good and proper. Even my proper Windows machines the actual operating environments are sat in HyperV virtual sessions. Makes the underlying OS utterly irrelevant.

Machine breaks? Copy the virtual hard disk to another machine and carry on where you left off.

I'm not sure I'm making myself understood on this stuff - I may blog it. 

If you look historically (and to be fair I think you've done this), most people quickly realise separating data from operational stuff (OS/Programs) made life a lot easier. OS blows up, rebuild, you don't hit your data.

Now, pick that up a level, where actually even if the OS blows up your downtime is minimal. No more spending HOURS resetting everything to work how you like.

I guess there's a time investment to think about of course. Getting an abstraction type setup working can take a few days investment - but you'll not lose time reactively ever again.

As a side note - modern back room IT works in exactly this way, it's the only sensible method. 

Honestly, abstraction sorts this out good and proper. Even my proper Windows machines the actual operating environments are sat in HyperV virtual sessions. Makes the underlying OS utterly irrelevant.

Machine breaks? Copy the virtual hard disk to another machine and carry on where you left off.

I'm not sure I'm making myself understood on this stuff - I may blog it. 

If you look historically (and to be fair I think you've done this), most people quickly realise separating data from operational stuff (OS/Programs) made life a lot easier. OS blows up, rebuild, you don't hit your data.

Now, pick that up a level, where actually even if the OS blows up your downtime is minimal. No more spending HOURS resetting everything to work how you like.

I guess there's a time investment to think about of course. Getting an abstraction type setup working can take a few days investment - but you'll not lose time reactively ever again.

As a side note - modern back room IT works in exactly this way, it's the only sensible method. 

Yes - OS on SSD, data on hdd; I even imaged the ssd on initial install after I had se it all up as I want it and installed the programs

Imaging is halfway really. I can't remember the last time I've had to restore a machine because of hardware issues. Just doesn't happen anymore. Install Windows to the point I can get HyperV, back in operation in minutes. Same on my Mac.

Actually, my main 'normal' Windows 10 machine, I'm not even sure which machine it's actually running on when I use it  :roflmao: I usually find out when I turn one of them off.

I'm impressed.

I was expecting to read "it doesn't to Waylander either" :P

In the interim I have realised I am way too intolerant of case noise so will have to convince local 'puter shop to accept the case back and also that blooming psu I bought (for a more powerful one) while instead getting a proper quiet pc case (Fractal R5 looks good!) and decent passive-cooled GFx card (sub £100 as I am not a gamer really other than Elite)

• 2 months later...