Tut...Tut...Tut...

Cuprabob

They need to abolish emmision controls, they are archaic and counter productive.

A modern lean burn engine without catalytic converters, without exhaust gas recirculation etc, uses less fuel and has lower emissions than an engine strangled with the crap, it would also be more reliable and cheaper to manufacture.

The US are getting good at this. 

They spot check the mpg figures that the manufactures quote as well now, if they are found to be out by an allowed level then they display what the government level was I believe. The manufacture then has to wait a certain period before they can lodge updated figures. I believe BMW was caught out this way on one of the models recently if my memory serves me correctly. 

I saw the article that said they will investigate things fully and resolve things properly. But they actually went one step further and are stopping ALL sales of 4cylinder diesel cars in the US both new and used.  :o

Not unsurprisingly the share price has dropped 13% on the news. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/business/international/volkswagen-shares-recall.html?_r=0

Seems that Germany are initially asking all manufacturers to come clean and getting the information the E.P.A. in the states has on VW first to see what next steps it might have. 

VW have denied anything was going on for a year but admitted there was something in the software at the start of the month. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/22/business/international/volkswagen-shares-recall.html?_r=0

Winkelhorn might be behind the Redbull / VW tie up and might after this not have his contract renewed it mentions in another article. Either way its not great for them and it will be interesting to see if anyone has done the same with the ECU on cars sold in the EU.  

Hmmm. I wonder if VW could do me an ECU for my Caterham that detects when the scrutineers are looking at it, temporarily gives the right answers, and then pulls all the stops out during a race? :secret:

I'm quite sure Sharky could stick switchable maps invisibly on your ecu, however, I'm not sure you'd actually want to in reality, there's no pleasure in winning if your cheating.