El Capitan - yay or not yet.

Waylander

I only use Safari on my phone or iPad, wouldn't use it on a laptop/PC.

I used to, but as above, even for a low level user like myself, Chrome is much better, never got on with Firefox for some reason.

One thing I will say though, is that even still today, I have to revert back to i.e. or Edge or whatever they call it now, as some websites don't function correctly on anything else.

As an example, I was trying to order the kids their 'free' Tip N Sip bowls from the Kelloggs website recently, I tried every browser without success, and had to use Edge in the end, which worked perfectly.

I have issues on this forum with the browser on my windows phone.

I do find Safari dull and uninspiring but I suspect it's because I use it so little - simply to access the bookmarks I imported across from ie. I have mainly used Firefox on my pc as I set it up how I like it but kids prefer chrome and admittedly it is growing on me

as Tipex says though every so often and universally for official stuff like companies house or dvla etc o have to jump back into IE( I note Tipex is using win10- with Edge)

I'll upgrade around 10.11.3...

Though Yosemite and El Capiran claim to run on systems with 4GB RAM, experience shows it to be true but painfully slow.

Upgrade will probably be via a new Laptop, and maybe updating the newish rMBP13.

Edited by Rachel

My god, pleased someone said it as I didnt want to upset the appleists, but Safari is utterly dire. You should see how this forum looks on my iPad in Safari...... For some reason it likes to replace everyone's avatar with Tipex's. Not a nice sight!

I've never got on with Safari.  It is much better now than in the past but it is still a long behind the others (barring the utter pile of crap that is Internet Explorer, naturally).

I'm a big fan of Firefox because of the add-on library, of which I use a lot of them.  I like Chrome but am loathed to use it because of Google's data mining.  I do, but only if something doesn't render properly in Firefox or there is a specific add-on in Chrome that I can't use in Firefox.

I'm not convinced you'll find too many "Appleists" on here either.  My stance is clear and I think most TSN people do the same.  They change if there is something better.  I still struggle with the fact that a lot of people seem to think that if you own Apple devices it must be because you're trying to be flash or just image-driven.  I find it rather like inverted snobbery (not a dig at you).

I've just installed The Captain. Took best part of a day to download. Feels the same as before!

That is weird.  I downloaded and upgraded in under 45 minutes.

It does feel the same but if you look at the additional features they're there and useful.   I agree with Riz too - the whole point of the updates is that you shouldn't feel as if it is a completely new environment.  That's what they do so well.  You'll come across the new features in time and when you do you'll realise how well deployed they are.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, given the space grey MacBook was a clean 10.11.2 install and was flawless**, tonight, one of the MacMinis, the 13" Air and the newer 13" retina MBP all got a jump from 10.9.5 to 10.11.2. 

The Air "bricked" with an obscure Finder crashing loop which are looking at all sorts of crazy UNIX command line "try this" stuff on the web, I went "F*k it, this is why I back them up as bootable clones" - grabbed a USB stick and copied the Finder.app of the working Mini, booted off the clone, deleted the Finder.app on the SSD and replaced it with the one from the stick - rebooted and all good!

** lots of new daemons wanting access that Little Snitch blocks or queries, so time was spent on each machine resetting the new rulesets, logging back into Google via the Internet accounts system preferences so Mail.app would work, and also BoxCryptor.  Then did a full system disk permission clean via Onyx (as it is gone from Disk Utility in 10.11 - unless you like Terminal commands), then a full cruft clean up and cache purge, PRAM reset and it all "just works".   :-)

Got one more to do - but that can wait till maybe the weekend.   All 3 updated machines now want to update all the iLife and iWork apps, as well as a new recovery partition and iTunes...   Off-peak downloads here I come!