Iphone/Itunes advice

E-bmw

I have just bought a second hand iphone 4s 16gb which will perform service as a mp3player/obd interface/satnav/occasional phone.

I have a couple of questions as I have never had one before.

1. Is there another way of getting music on apart from itunes? (don't like it as when it updated when I had it before it fecked up other things every time)

2. Is there a satnav program that downloads the maps too, as it will mostly not have a phone sim in it?

1) No, unless you use a hacking app.  Just use iTunes and set it to not update.

2) Loads on the iTunes Store.  Not sure if Here is available on the iPhone - I use it on my Samsung (Android) and it's brilliant and, more importantly free.  Online and offline mode - online includes realtime traffic alerts etc.

OK, thanks for that, one other thing, I can't seem to see how to direct it to a "networked resource" as in I have a 1tb hdd attached to my wifi router which I use as a back-up store for lots od stuff & if I can find out how, it can be used for this also.

To avoid iTunes you can use Spotify, Deezer, Tidal etc on the iPhone and stream the audio over Bluetooth to the car? (or audio jack etc).

Depending on the car it might have Spotify support like the newer BMW's do +++

For the sat-nva - TomTom for iPhone does the trick, I've got the western Europe version and all maps are stored locally.

2. Is there a satnav program that downloads the maps too, as it will mostly not have a phone sim in it?

Depends if you want free (not great, but okay for most tasks) or pay for like Tomtom ( one of the best there is).

For free offline maps there is maps.me or navmii and Waze for live updates. I have them all on my phone and use them regularly when I'm aboard.

Have a read of this review of offline GPS apps. http://www.wired.com/2015/04/offline-gps-apps/

• 1 month later...

I have now spent a bit more time with the clitoris-phone & am still not getting on with it!

I-tunes was begrudgingly loaded onto my laptop & apparently it has transferred 8.43gb of music to the phone, but I am buggerred if I can get the phone to find it, never mind play it!

I am obviously missing something, alas I know not what, any help would be appreciated.

Mr T,

Itunes is on the PC that I use to allow me to load music onto the iPhone, you are right, it is my music on the phone.

After synching to the pc using itunes the pc says 8.43gb of music, my music on the phone sees nothing.

I am sure that works but, feck buying all my music again in appleworld!

I suppose I must have used iTunes originally to get my favourite CD's on it, but everything is digital now and I've not bought a CD for a long time, whenever I replace my iPhone all the music just magically appears on the new one.

100% correct Mr T, that is what I am doing/trying to do.

NNMM, that is fine for music bought on itunes/applid, but DO I REALLY HAVE TO BUY EVERYTHING AGAIN THAT I ALREADY HAVE FOR A FECKIN' CLITORIS PHONE TO SEE IT?

If that is the case it can get the hammer time treatment, as it rightly deserves!

No, you don't need to buy it again. If it's in the iTunes library and authorised for the right account then you can sync it to your phone.

If it's been bought by another account then it it won't sync as the machine isn't authorised for it. Can you play it on that laptop?

Are you mixing iTunes purchased material from different accounts?

Dunno if it's changed much recently but about 4 years ago it was very simple to rip CDs onto my Windows (Vista!) PC, add that to a hard drive of tens of Gb of music, import a selection of that music to my iTunes library and then with my iPhone connected by USB select the music I wanted to upload onto my phone.

I'm planning to do the same with my new phone soon...