Nest/Hive Smart Heating?

bells0

Weather Compensation on its own can reduce bills by 3-4% not massive but welcome none the less. 

Smart start again can help some who might default set a start point at 5am meaning the house is getting re-warmed several times before you even step out of bed. I like that it will be warm when I need it to be and not before and I don't need to think about it. 

Being able to quickly edit when things do or don't happen has been really helpful. I even have a setting for when the grand parents are round looking after the kids as they like / need it warmer than we do so its set warm on those days and times only. 

Honeywell systems have similar advantages but for our lifestyle and current needs the Valliant vSmart gives in some ways more advantage for us. A colleague who has just carried out a big cellar conversion went for the full honeywell system and a new boiler and he loves it, it can even detect if there is a sudden temp drop in a room like a window or door is open and then switch that rad off to help save you a little. 

I won't be going back anytime soon. 

Weather Compensation on its own can reduce bills by 3-4% not massive but welcome none the less. 

Smart start again can help some who might default set a start point at 5am meaning the house is getting re-warmed several times before you even step out of bed. I like that it will be warm when I need it to be and not before and I don't need to think about it. 

Being able to quickly edit when things do or don't happen has been really helpful. I even have a setting for when the grand parents are round looking after the kids as they like / need it warmer than we do so its set warm on those days and times only. 

Honeywell systems have similar advantages but for our lifestyle and current needs the Valliant vSmart gives in some ways more advantage for us. A colleague who has just carried out a big cellar conversion went for the full honeywell system and a new boiler and he loves it, it can even detect if there is a sudden temp drop in a room like a window or door is open and then switch that rad off to help save you a little. 

I won't be going back anytime soon. 

What does it base weather compensation on?  I presume it is outside temperature or forecast based?  If it is the former then it must need an outside sensor?  If it is the latter - it'll never be correct in this country! :roflmao:

Some use a physical temperature gauge outside, others use a local weather station. 

Its more if it thinks its 14degs and it doesn't need to work that hard, vs its -15 and will need to do more to keep the house warm. The advantages aren't huge but they are there. 

Its been in place for commercial property for years and its more migrating to homes than anything else. 

The Nest is definitely of a high quality build, pretty much like a Apple device. The new Gen 3 Nest device has a higher resolution screen then previous versions, so very nice on the eye.

Its early days but so far I am liking the gadget factor of the device, the ability to turn on the heating before I get home etc. :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You don't need to pre order, it's available now for fitment within 5 days of ordering.

The 3rd gen controls hot water too as well as having a slimmer profile, larger, higher resolution display.

I'd be a bit p1ssed if i'd only just bought a second gen, fortunately we held off.

I was only saying what they've announced on Facebook in respect of pre-ordering.  It would seem it doesn't hit the high street until January but that you can indeed order online via Nest now for earlier delivery.

I too would be rather annoyed if I'd just invested in a second generation model.  I'm still not going to opt for one, but felt it might be of interest to those who did.

I had a rant at Nest as I specifically asked about the Gen 3 prior to ordering my Gen 2.

In the end I have asked for a refund for my Gen 2!

Gen 3 ordered and should be with me early December.

As long as you bought your Gen 2 within the last 30 days then you can use the 30-day money back guarantee :)

• Like 1

I had a rant at Nest as I specifically asked about the Gen 3 prior to ordering my Gen 2.

In the end I have asked for a refund for my Gen 2!

Gen 3 ordered and should be with me early December.

As long as you bought your Gen 2 within the last 30 days then you can use the 30-day money back guarantee :)

That is good customer service.

I took delivery of my Macbook Pro on the day they released the new models!  Guess what Apple said?  Nothing.  Wouldn't change it.

That was via Apple business too.  Utterly hopeless and lacking in any real customer care. 

• Like 1

That is good customer service.

I took delivery of my Macbook Pro on the day they released the new models! Guess what Apple said? Nothing. Wouldn't change it.

That was via Apple business too. Utterly hopeless and lacking in any real customer care.

That is good of Hive, and what a consumer should expect. I would have thought Apple though would have been a lot better though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...