Thinking of a BMW M235i

AZURES3

I have really enjoyed the switch to BMW after 10 years of Audi and my 28 month old 520d has been superb. I have rarely used the boot or back seats but live the motorway cruising and still shocked it drives so well BUT promotion has arrived and with all factors considered and the crazy lease deals on the BMW M 235i I am tempted by a 3 year personal lease and pocket the cash from mine.

Thoughts from anyone who has or driven the M235i

You really need to test drive one though as it will feel VERY small after your 5. I'm not just talking cabin size as a whole but the seats, dash and space around you. I couldn't live with one.

Booster makes a very valid point. I made a similar move on the Audi front from an A6 Avant to a S3 Sportback for reasons you've described and I felt exactly as Booster describes. In truth I never really got used the interior smallness of the car i.e. seats, dials etc and I didn't get used to it.

It also felt like the junior product with a lower quality interior even though it had a higher general specification. Things like door seals, interior surfaces and my perception of paint quality. I don't know how BMW products compare with each other, they might be better matched than Audi.

My advice would be to get a good, long test drive preferably 24 hours or more. That way you get past the "wow" factor of performance and get an idea of what it would be like on a day-to-day basis.

• Like 1

Booster makes a very valid point. I made a similar move on the Audi front from an A6 Avant to a S3 Sportback for reasons you've described and I felt exactly as Booster describes. In truth I never really got used the interior smallness of the car i.e. seats, dials etc and I didn't get used to it.

It also felt like the junior product with a lower quality interior even though it had a higher general specification. Things like door seals, interior surfaces and my perception of paint quality. I don't know how BMW products compare with each other, they might be better matched than Audi.

My advice would be to get a good, long test drive preferably 24 hours or more. That way you get past the "wow" factor of performance and get an idea of what it would be like on a day-to-day basis.

Great advice and suspect it would take some time to adjust, especially to the fuel economy and space. I haven't sat in one yet but agree on the larger premium feel in Audi's and I felt the 3 series I sat in 18 months ago didn't feel quite as premium as the 5 series.

How accommodating are BMW to 24 hour test drives !?

If they know you and you're serious, then they'll usually let you (in my experience).

Except for Liverpool. I know a former receptionist for BMW Liverpool, if anyone asked for an unaccompanied test drive they just laughed. Asking for 24 hours would probably have given them hernias.

I think all the most valid points have been raised but there's another - you'll feel a big difference in the refinement levels too.  The 235i is a fantastic car, but it does feel a hell of lot different in cabin appeal and refinement levels in my view.  I was in a 220d a few weeks back and the noise insulation levels are dramatically different, and I was surprised how much more wind and tyre noise there was.

Still, the 235i is a very different car so I guess it is only to be expected to find very different characteristics.

If they know you and you're serious, then they'll usually let you (in my experience).

When we were waiting for the X6, we had a 320d Coupe for something silly like 2-3 weeks.  As you say, most will give you a car for either test or other purposes if they know they're going to potentially get a sale out of it.

Unfortunately, the people who go along and test drive cars with no intention of buying don't help in many cases.  I've seen a few on here where people have said they've been and driven a car such from a curiousity perspective, and who had no prospect of buying, and I don't understand why anyone would do it.  That has a knock-on effect although people like Azure hopefully won't suffer the consequences. 

In our recent RR experience, when we first looked at a new Vogue it was interesting to see how sales people can perceive you if they've had no prior contact.

The salesman said "Do you mean the Evoque?  The Vogue's are much more expensive."

Needless to say, that dealership didn't get the order.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

The salesman said "Do you mean the Evoque? The Vogue's are much more expensive."

Needless to say, that dealership didn't get the order.

:roflmao:

Glad to hear you refused to place an order with a organisation that tolerates apostrophe errors :coffee:

• Like 1

The other option at the same lease prices deal is the BMW 430d Msport, Professional Media & MSport Plus Pack.

A very different car to the 235i!  I like the 4 series a lot and it'll look particularly nice in M Sport guise on a 30d because you don't get the very obvious 'base spec' look.

I doubt very much that I'd want a 235i over a 430d, but I guess it depends what you want out of a car.

Also being considered but after the recent facelift the deals on the 3 series are poor but could change in the next few months

I must admit the 3 series doesn't appeal to me at all.

I used to like the range but the new cabin doesn't seem to offer much over the 2 series and feels a hell of a size down from the 5 series (and to be fair, the 4 series isn't much different).

I like the look of the car but its the interior I'd struggle with.  It looks great inside, but doesn't feel like a good sized saloon should.

• Like 1

Similar to MrMe I sat in all of the BMW range and the 3 series didn't do it for me inside, mostly as I'd sat in a few 5 series already before I sat in the 3s. Its nice but it doesn't have the extra spec and nice little touches some how that the 5s do. Mind sit in a 5 having being in my GT and that feels a fair bit smaller but also more chuckable as a result.  

I think the Wifes 2 Series is better inside than a 3; it manages to have a really premium feel to me, the new X1 has the same dash as well. 

Have to say, the M4 left me cold after the M235i. Yes, it was quick, very, but the 2 was a better drive. If that's how the halo model left me then I suspect I'd rather have that 2 than any 4 - if you can cope without the space.

Yeah, me too! Kinda relieved others see/feel it too. The M4 is a better car than mine in every single way...but for some reason it doesn't really fulfil the fun factor. Incredibly hard to put my finger on why - I guess in some way it doesn't feel like an event. The M235 has a feel of highly stressed animal that needs a bit of a wrestle. A bit like Scarlett Johanson.

If I hadn't been so busy the last couple of months (and driven hardly any miles) I'd be in an M235 now I think.

Edited by Mac
  • Like 3

The other thing about that 35i engine is just how much you can do with it.  I had 372 hp coming out of mine (albeit in a crap car) and in a straight line it was epic and the engine note is fantastic.  With the right remap and not a lot of money spent, you'd have the speed of an M4 with a lot more fun.