Thinking of a BMW M235i

AZURES3

I was not aware that the X drive variants are coming to the UK. It would fix the cars biggest fault so I wish they would.

I was told it was (by the local dealer).

However, I am inclined to think that might be incorrect now as I've just Googled it and there is no mention whatsoever of it coming to the UK (in fact quite the opposite with a few reviews suggesting it won't be). 

It seems very odd when you consider that it'll mean the only two xDrive models in the range will be diesels.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Ok I got held up so only had time to drive the M235i. Wow that engine is special what a noise that a four pot turbo can only dream to sound like. Drove for 40 mins on back roads, motorway and fast roads. The power is instant and the engine revs so freely and without any lag. It was equipped with the excellent 8 speed sport transmission which suits the car like most other BMW's.

A few of you were spot on abut refinment compared to the 5 series and arriving in the 5 and getting in the M235i within 15 mins was a great comparison. Besides the obvious power difference the 5 series is a quieter more refined car over the M235i. It's a clearly a smaller car but same good quality fit and finish. I need to rebook 435d X drive soon as I had to get to an appointment but I think the M235i would be more fun.

Points to consider, the salesman believes the M235i X drive will be launched in UK in January, also reports rug gets the car will get another 20bhp upgrade and called the M240i next July.

M235i will no doubt be a handful in the wet and rubbish in the snow, the 435d X drive would be better in both cases but a hugger heavier car too.

I have to say the 4.8s 0-60 is very believable and keeps pulling !!

• Like 2

Azure, you're spot on about the engine noise and also how strong it is.

The one thing I loved about my Z4 was that engine.  If you put a better air intake system on it, or even just swap the stock filter out for a £58 K&N, it sounds in another world.  The whoosh the 35i generates from a decent air intake is fabulous.  Plus, the engine you're looking at is a better version of the one that was in my 35i.

If you think it is quick in stock form, you should try an Evolve remapped car.  The torque and acceleration when the car is rolling from 30 through to 70 is incredible. 

It isn't that good when you consider BMW were offering new M5's at £599 a month (inc. VAT) a year ago.

That was on cars with a spec list price of £76,000. 

If you calculate that back to the cost per pound of car, it makes an M235i look very expensive by comparison.  If the same deal ratio as offered on the M235i was applied to the M5, the cost per month would have been £863.

Lots of other 'if', 'but' and similar statements could be applied, naturally, but I still think £400 a month for a £35,000 car sounds very expensive (and that doesn't take into account the £1,500 deposit contribution the buyer has to make - because I seem to recall it was the same deposit on the M5?).

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

It isn't that good when you consider BMW were offering new M5's at £599 a month (inc. VAT) a year ago.

That was on cars with a spec list price of £76,000. 

If you calculate that back to the cost per pound of car, it makes an M235i look very expensive by comparison.

Wow M5 at that price is crazy, the personal lease deals aren't great either but ok with PCP you have more options at the end at least

Wow M5 at that price is crazy, the personal lease deals aren't great either but ok with PCP you have more options at the end at least

They sold them by the truckload.  It was an undoubtedly exceptional deal.

I notice that the M235i deal is at 8,000 miles p.a. too.  So if you did 12,000 per annum (which I've always read as being the average nowadays?) at 9.19p excess mileage and then wanted to hand the car back without buying another, that's another £367 to hand over at the end of it.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

They sold them by the truckload.  It was an undoubtedly exceptional deal.

I notice that the M235i deal is at 8,000 miles p.a. too.  So if you did 12,000 per annum (which I've always read as being the average nowadays?) at 9.19p excess mileage and then wanted to hand the car back without buying another, that's another £367 to hand over at the end of it.

Agreed also that's withou any extras, I have my local dealer working on a quote based on 12500 miles and the following spec

M235i coupe automatic

Metallic paint

Heated seats

Professional media/Nav

Harmon Kardon speakers

Best quote of a personal lease I have is in my view very good.

BMW M235i Automatic 8 speed

Metallic paint -Mineral grey

Heated front seats

Professional media/Nav

Electric front seats with driver memory

Driver comfort pack

Harmon Kardon sound system

12000 miles per annum with 9ppm overcharge

£2500 deposit

£450 per month rental with option to buy car, extend lease or hand back after 36 months

Non maintenance.

Best quote of a personal lease I have is in my view very good.

BMW M235i Automatic 8 speed

Metallic paint -Mineral grey

Heated front seats

Professional media/Nav

Electric front seats with driver memory

Driver comfort pack

Harmon Kardon sound system

12000 miles per annum with 9ppm overcharge

£2500 deposit

£450 per month rental with option to buy car, extend lease or hand back after 36 months

Non maintenance.

Just heard back: "That's a cracking deal. Are you sure it includes the VAT?"

Who is doing it Azure?