Bugatti Chiron

Scotty

Have you seen some of the anticipated figures?!

Acceleration I get ... but can you really use this sort of power?   :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

"Citing information it claims to have received from a customer presentation, ProDriver magazine reports that the Chiron will top out at 467 kilometers per hour – that's over 290 miles per hour, hitting 62 along the way in just 2.2 seconds. Its speedometer is said to run all the way up to 500 km/h (311 mph).

Finding another 22 miles at those speeds is no mean feat. And to get there, the engineers in Molsheim are tipped to have squeezed 1,500 horsepower and an equal number of newton-meters of torque (1,106 lb-ft by our standards) into the two-seatsupercar. Those figures are expected to come in part thanks to a pair of electric turbochargers (and another couple of conventional ones) bolted to the 8.0-liter W16 engine. Of course none of that will come cheap, with a price tag said to start at a cool 2 million euros ($2.17m at current exchange rates). Bugatti is tipped to make only 100 examples every year for the next five. Of those, 130 units have reportedly already been spoken for, sight unseen."

Edited by Scotty

You have to wonder at the sort of person that buys such a car really, it's sole purpose is to be a status symbol, nothing more, it's the ultimate small man/tiny penis car.

It's capable of 4 times the speed limit, what's the point? The only cars that will ever see that top speed will be the test or press cars, you'd barely even get half way to it on any normal race track, I'm sure it'll be nicely appointed but then so is a Rolls.

I'm sure someone will say it's a halo car for the brand, what brand? What else do Bugatti sell? VAG? Lol.

A ultra rare collectors item for the UHNW. If they have the money, why on earth not? Most of the UHNW's I've met who could afford this car are in excess of 6', however I can't comment on the size of their genitalia.

I agree, if you can afford it - why not?  I don't see purchasers as having tiny dick syndrome.  People use that tag all too often nowadays when they see others with things they don't have or don't understand why someone else might want something.  We're all different.  A Chiron buyer isn't going to have to think about what they spend too often, so good luck to them.+++

• Like 3

Woppum must be a eunuch.

How daft, the super rich care for exclusivity and if it brings them kudos in the world they move in, so be it.

Back on track the car sounds like it taking the technology to a whole new level. The CO2 and mpg figures seem a tad optimistic, bet there based on a sub 100 mph test when the engine is doing 1000 rpm and loads of recovery tech.

Woppum must be a eunuch.

How daft, the super rich care for exclusivity and if it brings them kudos in the world they move in, so be it.

There's a significant difference between the cars Woppum owns and a 2 million Euro car.

I'm all for spending money on nice things if you can afford them, don't have a problem with it at all, but there is a limit after which it just becomes daft and purely an exercise in vulgarity.

'look at me I've got more money than you' the car serves no other purpose than to fulfill that mentality, to suggest it's inverted snobbery is frankly just daft, there are cars of equal or better comfort, build quality, rarity or luxuriousness, the only thing this offers is performance you can't use. 

Edited by Tipex

Why else would someone buy one if they didn't have that mentality?

Because they love cars and can afford the fastest or most powerful car on the planet?

Because they need something else to go with the superyacht, jet, helicopter, etc. and have so much money and put so much into other things, that they quite fancy treating themselves to the Chiron?

Because they collect cars?

Here's the issue - you don't know why they'll buy one precisely because of the question you're asking - because you don't have their mentality.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

I could understand someone buying one if it was an investment, but it's not.

Spend 2 million on a rare Ferrari? absolutely, it's a thing of beauty that will likely return them a profit one day, a bit of a gamble but one that makes good business sense.

Some people seem to be of the opinion that the reason I don't like it is because I can't afford it and therefore I'm jealous, well I'm sorry to burst that little bubble but you are simply wrong, the price isn't the issue on it's own, it's the price compared to what you get for it, or value for money.

I don't care how much money someone has, I don't see anything about this to make it worth spending that amount of money, I'm sure there will be plenty of people with lots of money who feel the same way about it as I do, probably the difference between old/new money, I can't see any reason to buy it other than an ostentatious display of wealth.

That's my opinion, I'm comfortable with it, I can see where this is going though with the usual contributors so that's where I'll stop, can't be bothered any more quite honestly.

Why else would someone buy one if they didn't have that mentality?

Because they want to and can? Same as anything else.

Looked at rationally, I wasted shedloads of cash on the 911. I could have had a Boxster for half the price, or an MX-5 for a third of the price. Do I think my 911 is three times better than an MX-5? Of course it isn't. But I've loved it and the experiences that it has given me, and I'm more than happy to have paid the premium I did to get that car.

In the end, it's their money and they can spend it how they want. It's not for me to query that. I can make different choices that suit my circumstances: to denigrate them because I don't understand the choices they made in their (different) circumstances is just daft.

• Like 3

Is there a significant difference between Woppum's cars and a Chiron?

If Woppum decided he absolutely wanted one as the representation of the pinnacle of automotive technology then his current stable for a Chiron would probably leave him with a few quid left.

Good luck to whoever buys one of these for whatever reason they buy one for.

Couple of weeks back I watched Arsenal at the Emirates, and went for a drink with a lad in his 30's just sold his Company for $300m and he held the bulk of shares.

When a car purchase represents maybe 1.5% of his new wealth then why shouldn't he indulge himself for working 100 hour weeks for 15 years?

Wealth can be a joy, and if I was (that amount of) wealthy, just like anyone else I'd have toys.

• Like 1

Tipex, on the one hand you say it is nothing to do with inverted snobbery.

On the other, you're happy to make a snap judgement that the only reason a person would buy the Chiron is to say "look at me, I've got more money than you".

So, we know a little bit about you because you're a member here and post in conversations here.  But we can't say you're an inverted snob based on what you write.

Yet, with no knowledge of anyone who might buy a Chiron, you can state that you know the only reason they'd buy one?

The perfect amount of wealth....

Whatever you need and no more. Anything above that just brings extra headaches.

Or how I look at it, what does the extra wealth buy?

Consider a family skint in a high rise bedsit-

Dealers in the stairwell, broken lift, caged windows, noisy neighbours, screaming kids, barking dogs, no holidays, no meals out, no car, crime everywhere, local shop selling cheap crap, no hope. Trapped.

Then us lot.....

Nice pad, hols, meals out, weekends away, gym membership, nice pubs, clothes, hobbies, arguing about which 150mph+ car to buy next. Neff or Miele, Global knives upgrade? Freedom.

Then the extra millions.....?

Doesn't get you that much more (happiness).

Same speed limits, traffic jams, shops, food, clothes.

How many cars can you drive? How many bedrooms can you sleep in?

I feel very fortunate to be in the world's wealthiest 1%.

Anything beyond is generally froth on your pint.

• Like 1

I don't agree with the last third not being able to get you a lot more, but that's not the point I wanted to pick up on.

It is the comment about the worlds wealthiest 1% that always interests me.

When you look at that, it turns out that 2.9 million of the worlds wealthiest 1% live in the UK - and only 2.8 million of them in Germany.

It is how much it is that always gets to me - the exact figure is £530,000.  If you have a net wealth of £530,000 you're in the worlds wealthiest 1%.  Think about that. 

It is 4.3% of the population of the UK.  Over 4 in every 100 of us is in the worlds top 1% for wealth.

p.s. mind you, as Robert Peston pointed out at the time, a lot of the people who think they're in that band aren't.  When they net assets and liabilities off, a good few people are a lot less wealthy than they think.  However you look at it though, it is still 4.3% of the UK population.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Not that much difference (purely in terms of monetary value) between the most expensive car in Woppum's fleet and one worth 2 Million Euros.

For me the Bugatti Veyron wasn't an "oim richer than yow" statement. It represented the absolute pinnacle of automotive engineering. A car that cost more to develop and build than it did to buy. A car that took performance capability to a new level and yet did so in uncompromised luxury. The kind of car that appeals to someone who also has not necessarily the most expensive private jet and luxury yacht but the fastest private jet and the highest tech luxury yacht. When you can afford the very best available I think you've probably risen above any real need to impress others. You demand the best for yourself, because you can.

The Chiron just brings that up to date and pushes the performance envelope even further. Because it can.

Edited by garcon magnifique
  • Like 4

Consider a family skint in a high rise bedsit-

Dealers in the stairwell, broken lift, caged windows, noisy neighbours, screaming kids, barking dogs, no holidays, no meals out, no car, crime everywhere, local shop selling cheap crap, no hope. Trapped.

Then us lot.....

Nice pad, hols, meals out, weekends away, gym membership, nice pubs, clothes, hobbies, arguing about which 150mph+ car to buy next. Neff or Miele, Global knives upgrade?  TRAPPED!

Then the extra millions.....?

Doesn't get you that much more (happiness).

Same speed limits, traffic jams, shops, food, clothes.

How many cars can you drive? How many bedrooms can you sleep in?

EFA!

Chiron - definitely the pinnacle and latest word in the automotive world.

You could apply the same argument to all items/food.  Why buy food from Waitrose or Fortnum & Mason, when you have Iceland round the corner selling the 'food' for less?  Why buy 'cat poo' coffee when Tesco own label  will (no it fecking won't!!!) do.

As a complete aside, the best supermarket in terms of own brand value for money is .... Waitrose!

Not sure how 'value for money' was calculated. Presumably that Waitrose own brand stuff might be a bit more expensive than Tesco own brand, but it's not utter shit.

There was a food programme with Greg Wallace and another chap about people filling their trolleys and houses with food they already have and don't need.  Spending £300 a week for 4!!!! etc etc :o

Wallace went to Italy to a posh, well known pasta brand factory to see how it's made.  I've forgotten the brand) 

In the background, they were filling the bags.  The bags were 'Waitrose essential' bags.  :grin:   Defo not just any old pasta for Waitrose! +++