Anybody any experience of patients under a sedative?

drpellypo

So I had to have an endoscopy last week. I chose to have a sedative cos I'm a big fat girl and didn't like the idea of a massive tube going down my throat (no experience of that - promise!) I remember going to the room and the nurse injecting the sedative. Then I remember nothing of the procedure, apart from a span of about 5 seconds where I was burping a lot, then my next memory is being wheeled out the door and calling thank you to the endoscopy staff.

Now I've started to read up about people having sedatives and I'm now freaking out thinking that I was horrible/violent to the staff during the procedure, as this is seemingly very common?? It's not in my nature... I'm a very calm laid back person and in my entire life I've only once hit someone, and I was 12 at the time.

So how common is it? Am I likely to have been rowdy? Or is it just like alcohol, ergo, it you're an aggressive person anyway it just exaggerates that?

I had a sedative for my endoscopy - was aware of everything at the time but couldn't remember much afterwards.

I made a selection of crap jokes before and after the procedure and told them several times that I didn't like banana sweets as the throat spray was banana flavoured. So, totally normal behaviour from me.

So how common is it? Am I likely to have been rowdy? Or is it just like alcohol, ergo, it you're an aggressive person anyway it just exaggerates that?

I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy on the same day about 5 years ago. I was sedated for both and was given a larger dose for the latter, on request. I don't remember anything, except being aware of a colour monitor showing live images of my insides, but not actually mentally linking at the time that the pictures were of my colon as I was so sedated. The endoscopy left me with a bit of a sore throat. The colonoscopy left me with a feeling that something had been where it shouldn't have and a ravenous hunger as I had to fast for 24 hours before hand. I awoke in my room with the nurse offering me the lunch menu. Needless to say, I ordered everything and watched TV having lunch in bed until my Mrs picked me up. Done and dusted within half a day and with no urges of aggression whatsoever. I was still super-chilled from the sedation and even after wearing off, I was my usual self and quite relaxed.

Did you wake up restrained?

If your not bruised they won't have tied you down. From a surgical POV a moving patient is a nightmare when either a simple needle or a scalpel is being used.

Why do you think you might have been trouble?

Nope - not restrained. And definitely hadn't been pinned down or the like, or certainly there were no bruises.

Why do I think I was trouble? I think it's because having read up on it, it seems really common.

I had an endoscopy and a colonoscopy on the same day about 5 years ago. I was sedated for both and was given a larger dose for the latter, on request. I don't remember anything, except being aware of a colour monitor showing live images of my insides, but not actually mentally linking at the time that the pictures were of my colon as I was so sedated. The endoscopy left me with a bit of a sore throat. The colonoscopy left me with a feeling that something had been where it shouldn't have and a ravenous hunger as I had to fast for 24 hours before hand. I awoke in my room with the nurse offering me the lunch menu. Needless to say, I ordered everything and watched TV having lunch in bed until my Mrs picked me up. Done and dusted within half a day and with no urges of aggression whatsoever. I was still super-chilled from the sedation and even after wearing off, I was my usual self and quite relaxed.

Is that like being spit roasted then?