911R

Woppum

A quick search reveals a price of somewhere between £125k and £140k.   Anticipated.

I think the RS was just over £130k, so I'm expecting it to be >£140k + options it'll be knocking on for £150k. We'll find out tomorrow!

It's kinda academic anyway as the rumour is that the fortunate ones have already been told.

Not sure I get what this car is all about.

I'm a bit the same, is it more all out than an RS, can't be surely. Going for the I want a manual box brigade, not sure. 

But it seems the car is going to be lighter and more powerful than the GT3 RS, smaller tyres and yes a manual. So it could be a great road / track car and looks a little less aggressive than an RS, so possibly more fun. 

Where do I order again. 

I'm sure it'll represent a superb investment, but it's 'just' another 911 to me, built purely as a marketing tool and sold to people who will (in general*) lock it away and watch it go up in value, it'll make Porsche a lot of money and if that helps fund other things then I suppose that's good.

* I appreciate Woppum isn't that kind of owner, thank f*ck.

This car car the same power as the RS yes but as I understand it the magic that happens in the engine Works a slightly different way to the RS. this car is very light. 1250kg dry weight. It also has not rear wheel steer like the RS, but a good trick LSD. Last of all it a manual and limited edition. In fact they are making less than HALF of these for the world than the RS.

What's it all about. The RS is a very hardcore car. Even more hardcore than a Speciale for example. It bounces around, the cage pings and the gear changes, even though PDK around town are lumpy at best. It is a car to set lap times. It has a fantastic engine yes, but not compared to the Speciale or 675 - it's strength is in how over tyred it is and sheer amount of downforce it makes. That wing and those louvres are there to fit a purpose and on the road at speed or on track it's a limpet. With a PDK and this aero you can really make the car punch above its weight no produce serious lap times.

Then you get the 991 GtS, my brother has one so very famillure. A great car but lacks a lot of punch compared to the RS. I'm not sure it comes in a manual either. Very suited to the road, not tried it on track.

This 911R will not be a track car set out to make lap times, it will be a modern car of yesteryear. Comfortableish, very lights, might y powerful, skinnier less sticky tyres, manual - a real driver car. It's lighter than the RS I believe. It should feel pretty fast and pretty raw in a way suited for the road.

It's funny until you try them all it's easy to just say it's just another 911. The thing is they are all so different. C2s to gts to turbo to gt3 there is a reason for them all.

Do I want one, yes. Had a deposit down for a while and have been trying to get my dealer on side for the last 12 months about getting one. An investment as well as a great drive. It will be a real special occasion car. Can't wait to see all the shot at Geneva. Let hope they let me have one.

Edited by Woppum

...What's it all about. The RS is a very hardcore car. Even more hardcore than a Speciale for example. It bounces around, the cage pings and the gear changes, even though PDK around town are lumpy at best. It is a car to set lap times. It has a fantastic engine yes, but not compared to the Speciale or 675 - it's strength is in how over tyred it is and sheer amount of downforce it makes. That wing and those louvres are there to fit a purpose and on the road at speed or on track it's a limpet. With a PDK and this aero you can really make the car punch above its weight no produce serious lap times.

....Let hope they let me have one.

Like I said Wopps, you need one of these Edited by JonC

Like I said Wopps, you need one of these

How do go about convincing the dealer to let you have one?

Buy 7 cars including a custom RS and a 918 in last months is the crude answer. Really get to know your dealers well. I have a superb relationship with mine and have diverted business to him and the centre from friends and family to give him extra business

• Like 2

Buy 7 cars including a custom RS and a 918 in last months is the crude answer. Really get to know your dealers well. I have a superb relationship with mine and have diverted business to him and the centre from friends and family to give him extra business

On that basis I'm definitely not going to get one! :)

Then you get the 991 GtS, my brother has one so very famillure. A great car but lacks a lot of punch compared to the RS. I'm not sure it comes in a manual either.

It does/did come in manual but when I tried to buy one it was made very difficult because the salesman and his colleagues tried to push me into PDK and the only place to test drive one was at Porsche Experience Centre (PEC) Silverstone. You had to be committed, especially given the reports of the manuals clunkiness. The manual in the GTS is pretty slick when warmed but has old school reluctance when cold which, for me, gives the car character.

The bonus was I got two sessions at PEC - one at the time of ordering to try the manual (I'm sure they thought I'd come back and spend the extra on PDK) and one after I picked my car. The second one was great because I was more familiar with the car and got to rag one of theirs round the track +++

Edited by Cameo
  • Like 2

Sniff mention: sniffpetrol.com/2016/03/01/the-2016-geneva-motoring-show-part-1/

Finally, Porsche delighted car journalists by announcing the long-awaited 911R. ‘Oh great,’ sighed the person responsible for getting semen out of bed linen in Geneva hotels.

• Like 1

I've had the special phone call from my dealer.....

They're getting one 991R....

and I'm not getting it. No surprise there then  :roflmao:

I've just watched the Evo interview with Andreas Preuninger and he said that if there is a demand for "emotive" cars then they will build them. Hopefully the reaction to the 911R will convince them that is the case, or at least include more 'emotive' options for the standard Carrera instead of luxury ones.

Edited by Cameo