The 'I can't believe I have bought a P1 thread!'

Woppum

Some of you might have seen that I am in the process of buying a P1. I have been looking for one for a while. Why when I have a 918? The 918 is the king of everything. Destroys race cars on track, took me to st Tropez, 1100 miles in 13.5h in supreme comfort - it has the best sound system of any car anywhere! It laughs at all treacherous weather even though it wearing cup2 super sporty tyres. It has a big boot, you can take the roof off. As I said the king of everything. The only single way it is compromised is that it's LHD which means it's a pain driving it to Selfridges or Westfield. Some people say it's too good and you have to be going stupidly fast to get that thrill.

The P1 on the other hand I expect to be a total animal. You have to have your wits about you. Just under 1000bhp through the rear wheels in a car that weighs 1550kg or 600bhp per ton, 100 more than a veyron from memory. Once bought it's going straight in for a service, super sticky tyres and 6 point harnesses on each side. I'm then taking it to MSO to do a few custom touches. This car I imagine will be more like my Speciale with double the power than the 918. A much more delicate and compromised car than the 918. I have friends with both and they say they really compliment each other. In monetary terms unfortunately good low milage cars like mine are 60% over list already. Stupid Twats like me were too scared to buy new but get round the overs position. I have sadly done it with both the 918 and P1 in the last year. The good news is the 918 is still worth slightly more than what I paid for it (although irrelevant as can't see me ever selling it) and I see upside even from today's value with the P1. Let me explain why:

A year ago if you asked me Ferrari or McLaren I'd laugh, Ferrari any day. I now think they are really on top of their game and now Ferrari have turned turbo I see an even playing field......but it's not! Carbon tubs, more trick suspension, made, built and serviced in the UK. I now see a real future with McLaren. The Ferrari love I think be dampened unless they really up their game. They are now behind. The 675 is a much better car than the Speciale and 488. I can't see Ferrari making the 488 specaile better than the 675, plus by the time it's out McLaren will be offering something better! A lot I suppose depends on what Ferrari replace the 488 with but if they think a pretty new body and upping the boost is going to do it they are seriously lost.

What does all this mean. I believe McLaren love will build among enthusiasts in tern classics like P1 could go up in value. They only made 375 of them, plus 10 prototypes. They made 599 LAF and 918 Porsche's. If you look at what the big winners have been it's as simple as a numbers game. A RHD 4.0 997RS is now 400k......400k!!!! They made 600 of those. So yes I'm slightly stock picking as well as buying in to a dream. Head and heard decision at the end of the day :)

PS-(I still love my Speciale, it's last of its kind and is least a classic worth 35% mo than what I paid new).

Where am I with the purchase?

I put down 10% yesterday. I'm looking at it later this afternoon when I am back from Austria. If all good, which it will be I will pay the rest Friday morning. Which will hurt lol.

Because in needs all the work I mentioned above though I will not get to drive it for 2-3 weeks.

Once I have seen the car an 100% committed later today I will add some pics :)

Dead excited!

• Like 7

I'm excited for you too Wopps. What a great position to be in and a lovely set of cars most of us can only dream of to have. Congrats and knowing your past history with cars, we all know you're going to enjoy it to the fullest. Just fantastic!

One last thing. My offer still stands mate  +++

• Like 1

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Your enthusiasm is infectious and you certainly seem very planted and down to earth with what can really only be described as a car purchase for the few. There are many here that appreciate your passion and sheer enthusiasm, and no doubt envy you but in a nice and respectful way! Keep posting please

To be honest I'm glad that McLaren have made such a big improvement. I think early on you dismissed them and rightly as it was all about the numbers and not the emotion. 

With the review on the P1, 675LT and now the 570 all being they have made a huge leap forwards they are no a genuine rival and thats only a good thing in my book. 

Fantastic purchase can't wait to see the photo and get your thoughts when you have have had a proper blast in it. +++