Johan Cruyff - RIP

Cuprabob

Google "cruyff impossible goal" or search for it on YouTube.

One of the best goals in the history of football in my opinion.  I still can't believe he scored it.  Astonishing agility, skill and speed of thought.

A true legend and pioneer in the sport, have many happy memories as a kid of watching him and his fellow team mates in their prime in the 1974 World Cup, particularly remember Arie Haan, who had an unstoppable shooting foot

Is it just me or was it a much better game to watch in those days?

Is it just me or was it a much better game to watch in those days?

I don't think so.  I don't think the quality has ever been higher.  The difference is that the game is much more competitive and vastly quicker, so you get less time on the ball and see a lot less of the showboating and silky skills.

Hear all that and understand your point but being as fit as a butchers dog on meth, does not neccessarily translate to skills on the ball or something beautiful to watch and admire

If I wanted to watch someone run like a runaway freight train is chasing them down I could just watch Mr Bolt on replay all day

But that's because the skills required for todays game are very different from those of yesteryear.

When players had more time on the ball they could show off a lot more. 

If you dropped Messi or Ronaldo into the 60's or 70's, they'd be in every single clip of football on YouTube today.  The same could probably be said of lesser players with genuine ball skills, such as Le Tissier, Gascoigne, Rooney, etc.  They'd have time to show off all their tricks.

Nowadays, you need a lot more strength and pace to get past people who would otherwise chop you down in an instant.

Le Tissier, probably the most underrated player from the last 20 years. He was the phenomenally gifted and a true artist.

I've moaned in the past that the English game focused so much on physical attributes and if you could run all day like Henderson, Milner etc you were more likely to make it as a pro than if you were a poor physical specimen but a better player.

Messi would not have made it through our system when he was young and our coaches seemed unable to look beyond height, strength and running ability.

Le Tissier was a beacon when things were at their worst in the Prem, if he stopped eating chips with ever meal and cut down his fizzy drink habit, God only knows what he could have been. Of course we couldn't see past his pace and stamina issues and as such he was criminally underused by England.

I watched a lot of live top flight football in the early nineties. I don't think I saw any player with better skills than Le Tiss. It wasn't the greatest of eras for flair players, but it's the moments of genius I remember, from the likes of Le Tiss and Merson.

Thinking back to watching Oldham then there are similarities to this year's Leicester in terms of the make up of the squad. One or two stars of the future, a few top class players who didn't quite make it first time round and the odd non league discovery. I really hope this new more level playing field isn't just a one season freak.

Le Tissier is one of England's greatest shames. 

Shamed by the fact he was ignored by successive managers.

It happened with Hoddle to a degree, but nothing like as much as Le Tissier.  If a player of his quality was in the England squad now it'd be worth watching.  Imagine the effort and toil of Alli with Le Tissier alongside or just in front of him.  It'd be superb to watch.

Merson was another, as Garcon says, and so was someone often forgotten - Paul Walsh.  He had terrific skill when he could be bothered.

Yes and Messi and Ronaldo would be straight into the top 5 of all-time in my view.

I am gradually beginning to think of Messi as the greatest ever, even above Maradona, although I still harbour a doubt about the fact he hasn't quite done for the national team what Diego did.

Cantona is the man who transformed Manchester United and was a footballing genius.  Gone are those days though and how we could do with a man of his magic now.

Best was one of the greats.  I can't think of much more to say about him that hasn't been said many times.