Aftermarket Nav HU

eldavo69

One of the "must have" things on MrsEldavo's list is a decent Nav head unit as she does house visits at lunchtime and is usually on the phone at the same time so an app-based system isn't great.

Connects2 make a custom surround for the Boxster so you can replace the standard unit with any double din unit and it looks OEM. I know a couple of people who have fitted the Parrot Asteroid Smart, some with an Alpine unit and some with the Dynavin unit - that is a straight replacement for the factory one but has the cost to go with it.

Retrofitting the OEM Nav unit isn't an option as it was crap when new and the years haven't been kind.

Anyone got any first hand experience? Must have decent Nav and easy to use Bluetooth - anything else is a plus.

Pioneer with Apple car play get very good reviews.

Sony units with TomTom provide the best navigation (TomTom are by far still the best at navigation imo), however, they get heavily criticised for a very poor user interface for the rest of the system.

Pioneer would be my personal choice.

BTW, for those with factory navigation, TomTom sell map discs for a lot of systems now at massively reduced prices compared to oe discs, for example, Ford want £250 for a 2016 map disc, TomTom will sell you a superior 2016 disc for £79.

Incidentally, has anyone tried one of those Chinese systems you find on eBay? Eonon I believe they are called, you can also buy directly from their website.

Considering the raft of features they are very cheap, reverse cameras, A2DP, DVD, navigation apps (so you can chose TomTom, iGo etc), 3/4G connectivity, I think they are mostly based on Android OS.

Incidentally, has anyone tried one of those Chinese systems you find on eBay? Eonon I believe they are called, you can also buy directly from their website.

Considering the raft of features they are very cheap, reverse cameras, A2DP, DVD, navigation apps (so you can chose TomTom, iGo etc), 3/4G connectivity, I think they are mostly based on Android OS.

Had one in my old e39, and, I have to say for £300 with all those features, it was worth it.

The UI is a bit dim-witted, but it didn't take much getting used to.

I've read some reviews of them and apparently the later ones have a much better interface.

Some people report poor sound quality, but again that seems to be the older units, for what they cost, I'd definitely give one a try.

A friend of mine bought one for his Zafira, he had all the options, rear camera, headrest DVD screens etc etc, but the muppet tried to fit it himself (he's neither electrically nor mechanically minded) and wired it all up wrong, bricked the unit.

To be fair, they replaced it free of charge and he got someone who knows what they are doing to fit it, about 2 days later he sold the car though. :rolleyes:

The fact they make car specific models appeals to me too, I did look and they don't make a Porsche shaped unit, so it would have to be the double din, but they do make BMW, Ford etc specific units that look OEM, that would be a big selling point to me.

I had the Alpine W925r, the colours are really subtle and match the interior so it looks pretty oem, the nav is very good (co pilot I think it uses) and the bluetooth is superb, for both calls and audio. 

You can set up the radio to remember different users too, so if it sees her phone her settings are loaded, and if it sees your phone your setting are loaded. 

The DAB is fantastic too, amazing reception compared to oem radios from BMW, Mercedes etc. 

It is also really well built, has an ambient light sensor so the unit dims with the ambient light in the cabin etc. 

Plus big chunky buttons to make using it a doddle. 

alpine_ml.jpg

I sold it for £300 recently which seems to be the going rate. 

For a 996 you move the AC controls down to where the cubby hole goes and then get a double din cage and surround for the head unit. Porsche sells the surround for the relocated AC controls and not researched the rest but seems relatively straightforward.

My AC controls are already there as I have PCM2. I'm mainly after iPod integration and postcode search. The main question is whether they have an optical fibre system that's compatible with Porsche's MOST bus, it looks like they don't…