New car ordered.......

Busby

Musk has to make this sell anyway.  There is no other option.  If the Model 3 isn't a success, they're knackered because he'll lose all his support and investment.

The BBC can talk about cash reserves all they want, but when your reserves have dropped by 36% in a year it doesn't take a genius to figure out you need to start making a profit very quickly indeed - especially in an industry where R&D costs are massive.

I think it will be the making of Tesla.  I hope so anyway, because if it isn't they won't be around in 3 years time.

p.s. I'll make a prediction (even though they're usually crap).  I think the retail price will be much higher than they're claiming at present.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Model S is £54k for base model with RWD only, add 4K for the 'proper' 4WD version, and if you want the one that's not just really quick, but Ludicrous quick, well, then add on another big chuck of change as that's 84k

Edited by Tipex

I was about to say that, the last time I looked, I thought a Tesla S was well above £50k.

I'll take my prediction further and say I think people will be asked for £29-30k in the UK.

£30k is where it has been pitched for the UK market.  Personally I think it might be a touch more than that - even if the base model is  £30k by the time you've ticked a few options I am working on mid/late thirties.  That's assuming the options are similar to the S - not many to select but all about £2k/£3k!

I've just had a look at the price of second hand Model S, the cheapest with Tesla UK (wouldn't buy a used Tesla anywhere else, because 4 year 50k mile warranty on approved used) is up at £50k.

The most expensive used Model S being £115k, so assuming that's the top model at an £84k base price, it must have had a shed load of options thrown at it to still command £115k second hand, either that or it's appreciated in value!

Edited by Tipex

For £30k its still a hell of a lot of car for the money compared to say a leaf isn't it. 

Performance, looks, space and spec (hopefully) are all great so its promising fingers crossed they shake things up a bit, Elon Musk is certainly doing that in other areas other than just cars. +++

Musk is an interesting character and a real pusher of boundaries.

His story is the stuff of movies too.

A lot of people forget that he was a co-founder of Paypal and had already made over $20 million from the sale of his first company aged just 28.

If they're going to target a £30k price tag in the UK then I think we'll see a huge number of people drop out of their deposits.  As Busby says, once you add a few options to that it'll put it well out of the region of what they call "affordable" (to the masses).

Let's not forget that cars that cost £40,000 from next April attract a £310 a year "luxury" car tax every year on top of the £140 standard tax.  Even though an electric car falls outside of the standard £140 tax, it will still attract the £310 a year tax if it costs £40,000 or more....

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

The £30k UK price was widely acknowledged (or at lead bandied around!) for a while so anyone who has put a deposit down thinking they are going to get the car for a lot, or any, less than that has been a bit daft.

They are targeting $35k in the US which drops to $27500 after you get the US government tax break associated with buying one.  If they hit that price point in the US I will be very shocked if it isn't £35k here.

The good thing with Tesla options is that a few of them are software related so can be added afterwards.  For example you could spec nicer seats and air suspension at the time of ordering to keep the ticket price below £40k.  Then as soon as you have the car you can add the autonomous driving and ludicrous modes separately.  As long as you can have the battery option and interior you want for under the threshold then you could be okay.

• Like 1

The £30k UK price was widely acknowledged (or at lead bandied around!) for a while so anyone who has put a deposit down thinking they are going to get the car for a lot, or any, less than that has been a bit daft.

Yes and this is why the BBC are idiots.  They've done nothing but report a directly converted dollar to GBP price of £24,000!!!!!

There'll be people running off to put deposits down that are going to get one hell of surprise in the near future. :roflmao:

Its certainly not hard to spend money. 

I just had a play and very easily made the £63k base shift up to £76k  :wacko: .

Just been reading and it seems like different roof options are available, power, range, 4wd, rwd etc. etc. are all going to be in the mix. 

They are targeting $35k in the US which drops to $27500 after you get the US government tax break associated with buying one. If they hit that price point in the US I will be very shocked if it isn't £35k here.

The good thing with Tesla options is that a few of them are software related so can be added afterwards. For example you could spec nicer seats and air suspension at the time of ordering to keep the ticket price below £40k. Then as soon as you have the car you can add the autonomous driving and ludicrous modes separately. As long as you can have the battery option and interior you want for under the threshold then you could be okay.

But to get ludicrous mode don't you have to have the top spec P90D which starts at £87k? I wouldn't have thought you can add it to to the lower spec models?

Its certainly not hard to spend money. 

I just had a play and very easily made the £63k base shift up to £76k  :wacko: .

Just been reading and it seems like different roof options are available, power, range, 4wd, rwd etc. etc. are all going to be in the mix. 

I once configured a Model S.

I won't be ordering one any day soon. :roflmao:

I love the looks of them (there was a metallic browny coloured one charging at one of the Tesla Supercharge stations at the Hyatt Regency in Birmingham yesterday) and the performance of the nutter version is well known.  However, I think there comes a point at which you have to step away and think "Actually, that's the price of a 991, or this, or that, or whatever" - and I'm getting a 4 door saloon that I don't know will fare in depreciation and from a company that might not be around in a few years (I think they will be, but theres a big difference between shelling out £30-35k on a car and 3 times that when you're not sure).

But to get ludicrous mode don't you have to have the top spec P90D which starts at £87k? I wouldn't have thought you can add it to to the lower spec models?

That's true.  You need to have the correct battery spec to begin with.  

There's something strangely tempting about the Tesla site.

If you look at the figures for the not-ludicrous models they're still very quick cars.

If you saw those figures on any other brand you'd just go ahead and buy the lesser model.

But....

The Tesla website is different.

You know what the ludicrous mode does because we've all seen the videos.

It is therefore physically impossible and scientifically proven that you are unable to specify a car other than the P90D!!!!!

Try it.  I promise you, you'll not be able to resist... :roflmao:

• Like 3

I can see why Tesla have designed it how they have. There isn't an engine to cool so no need for a grill, the valence grill underneath will route some air to cool the batteries and the motors and help provide some level of negative pressure underneath the car to help it get some level of downforce (remember the early TT anyone).

So the smoother the front the lower the cd. of the car and the less battery power that will be needed to push it forwards. I really hope that it doesn't get delayed by too much and Tesla are still around in a few years time. They will certainly have a good few hundred Million extra to help things get to production but they are going to need even more than that. 

Now where can I buy my power wall to help them out. +++

Will still need some airflow for A/C, power steering etc cooling, I'm quite sure they've thought of that though, it just looks like it should have a grille but they've just blanked it off, the Model S has a grille of sorts, whether it actually allows any airflow I don't know, but it's the main focal point of the car, it should have something that marks it out as being a Tesla imo.

Remember that many US states and certain countries do not require a front plate, so most cars are designed to look good with or without one these days, the 5 series being a perfect case in point.

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to be a big seller in the States. The queues at the dealerships were bigger than when Apple has a product launch. Having spent the last 2 1/2 weeks out there, there was a lot of hype on this car.

Pre-orders were at near 300k units, accepting it was only a $1k refundable deposit. The $7k US govt contribution makes it very attractive out there, putting the price in the ball park of $26/27k. If only it was going to be the same here in the UK, I think I'd be signing up for one.

Good choice Bus

• 1 year later...

So the big release was yesterday. 

Right hand drive aren't out until 2019 which most expected anyway but thats still a fairly big wait. 

Two main models the  Standard and Long Range I think it was details in the link below. 

https://electrek.co/2017/07/29/tesla-model-3-production-specs-revealed/

I think the price and bundling of the options have take a few by surprise to say least.