The Masters

Andy_Bangle

Ernie is still missing his belly putter  :unsure:

http://youtu.be/Q6ZEIcxaeA4

The four-time major winner, playing with world number one Jason Day and Matt Kuchar, missed the green with his approach to the first but recovered to leave himself a three-footer for par. It was then that the problems started. 

• Fourth shot (first putt) - Past the hole on the left, the same distance back for bogey
  • Fifth shot (second putt) - Another miss to the left, back to an almost identical position from where the first was missed, Els shows his first sign of frustration
  • Sixth shot (third putt) - Yet another miss left, Els now looks to his caddie
  • Seventh shot (fourth putt) - Longer taken over this one, a walk away to line it up, then a miss right
  • Eighth shot (fifth putt) - Tries to tap in with one hand only for the ball to lip out
  • Ninth shot (sixth putt) - Another one-hander, the ball finally drops and Els' record-breaking nightmare is over

I used to really love The Masters when it was on eerlier in the year (Jan/Feb?).

It was middle of winter here and seeing Augusta in the sun with all the plants and birds singing used to cheer up this SAD sufferer. Got me looking forward to spring and summer.

Looking close this year if Speith drops a few more shots.

+++

Day 3 is looking good with the close battle between Spieth and McIlroy. As is the course, and as an ex-Head Greenkeeper at an 18-hole Parkland course, my interest in the game has always been the course management more so. The maintenance budget at Augusta runs into the millions. So highly manicured, it's turf grass perfection.

They spray paint a lot of the grass round the edges at Augusta don't they Jon...... if it's not looking perfect?

I don't think they would want to borrow my Flymo for the greens. I have it on the lowest setting. ....grass is then 'only' about 3 inches. Pile of 5hite!

Some courses in very hot climates will use turf colourants to colour tees and greens for competitions etc, but I doubt they'd use it at the Augusta given their irrigation budget. They do use water colourants in the lakes though to 'blue up' the appearance

Hollow timing your lawn? I'm guessing compaction or thatch, or both? Perhaps consider solid timing if the thatch layer isn't too dense, but hey, if relieving compaction, increasing gaseous exchange and reducing OM levels is the name of the game, rock on. You may wish to consider verti-draining and hollow tining together. Ooh, and top dress and seed together with a decent peat and (horticultural, not builders) sand mix. Just make sure your top dress suits your topsoil.  :coffee:

:bike:

Compaction. When we bought this place you could hardly get a fork into the ground, soil is very clay riddled. HT'd it 18 months ago and now it is much better so a guy is doing it again next week. Top dress is 70:30 and bought from a local place who recommeded it. As for the rest of your post, I'm lost! +++

I'd be careful about HT'ing in the spring as the weather warms up, but as you're north of the border, you'll probably get away with it +++ Autumn is bar far the most optimum time, however, aeration and soil exchange is the ticket for compaction. Post a picky of the lawn? Sounds like you're doing a grand job  :)

Last year: http://www.tyresmoke.net/forum/topic/142240-the-perfect-lawn/?hl=lawn

I wanted to do it in the autumn but left it too late really. Scarified quite late. But it has zero weeds and zero moss.

Bloke who is coming to do it suggested I don't top dress immediately, but leave the holes for a bit to aid the aeration. I did think filling them with the far better mix of top dressing than the shitty clay that was coming out would be just as beneficial.

If you're looking for golf green quality, and a high quality lawn, then you've got to start from scratch and I can PM you how to do it if you wish. You're up against it with a heavy clay topsoil, but keep at it. High quality swards aren't achieved over night; more like a few seasons. Turf grass species choice helps, too, but that's a whole new subject!

It would seem not robust enough based on the criticism and the number of times it's been re-laid in recent years.

The success of turf grass is the medium below it. If it's not been successful at Hampden, then they've probably root medium problems coupled with insufficient turfgrass species choice. Just saying, like...

• Like 1

Thanks Jon but realistically with a 2.5 year old boy I'd be wasting my time trying to get perfection. If in the next house we get a front lawn then I really would be up for giving perfection a shot. +++

Give me a shout when that happens, I'd beore than willing to help. Construction of turf grass surfaces was my speciality

• Like 1