D3 Gearbox

AudiPartner

Apparently the oil was changed quite recently, but I'm experiencing some issues and I need to know whether its something I have to live with, or something that can be addressed. It's fine 80% of the time but...

Firstly, when cold its very aggressive on change. Secondly it seems to almost "slip" between I think gears 3-4. Like you put your put down and the revs increase significantly, but without an increase in drive. It then drops back down and the car begins to pull. Finally, I've noticed when coming off the motorway (so when presumably nice and toasty warm) the down changes aren't particular smooth (sometimes, not always).

Should I book in for another oil change? Is there anything else that can be done to these boxes? (2005 4.0 tdi)

Do you know what fluid they used in the gearbox change?

There were quite a few choices of fluid for that gearbox and engine combo.

One of the bods here had issues when he bought his 4.0 TDi (from new) and they changed it a few times IIRC until they finally changed it for some sort of mega-expensive Audi fluid, which sorted the issue.

I think there may have been somesort of Audi TSB thing for it.

Fish out the paperwork for the fluid change and have a look.  The chap who had the issues has posted it up in TSN A8 section.  If I get a mo, I'll try to look for it.

• Like 1

Hi Jo, IanC alerted me to your problem which is not quite the same as mine was but I may be able to help.  I have sent you a private message with my phone number.  Give me a ring and I might be able to help with some info.  Richard

Hi Richard,

It's not me with the issue, it's Audi Partner.  His 4.0 TDi gearbox is exhibiting 'issues'

Cheers Lads, have just replied to Richards PM.

Ok so I won't start a new thread for this, but I got in the car the other day and it turned on without me putting the key in?? How did i do that? (not the engine obvs, but the radio came on and screen cam up etc without me doing anything.

Cheers Lads, have just replied to Richards PM.

Ok so I won't start a new thread for this, but I got in the car the other day and it turned on without me putting the key in?? How did i do that? (not the engine obvs, but the radio came on and screen cam up etc without me doing anything.

That's Magic!

Another possiblity is that it's been programmed to do that if it senses the key and someone on the seat.

Were you using a different key?

• 2 months later...

So i bit the bullet and paid £400 for the box oil to be renewed. Actually made the issue considerably more apparent.

They then said there was a software update available so I felt I had no choice but to go for that too at £300. Made no odds apparently. Brilliant.

They are saying now it must be a proper gearbox fault which obviously I cannot even entertain. But if its an issue with the box, why would replacing the gearbox oil make it worse??

No :ffs: the oil prior the change may of had a different viscosity through either being contaminated, the wrong oil or just being old then it might concealed the problem.

New oil (clean and correct I assume) has made the issue considerably more apparent because it's more viscous. 

For example, if a seller is flogging a car with a knackered old engine or noisy differential they may be inclined to use a thicker oil grade, to temporarily conceal the problem :secret: 

Edited by Andy_Bangle
to many big words

Hi bought a Passat V5 with Tip.  Slight gear change jerk when changing down from 5 to 4.

so I got the fluid change and the jerk became a thump and a jerk, unless you used the tip and coasted.  One of the fluid things had a hole and would not hold the pressure required when down changing.  Hence the jerk and the new fluid removed any dwarf that was blocking the hole!

D'oh!

Edited by cruiser647

20 hours ago, Andy_Bangle said:

No :ffs: the oil prior the change may of had a different viscosity through either being contaminated, the wrong oil or just being old then it might concealed the problem.

New oil (clean and correct I assume) has made the issue considerably more apparent because it's more viscous. 

For example, if a seller is flogging a car with a knackered old engine or noisy differential they may be inclined to use a thicker oil grade, to temporarily conceal the problem :secret: 

the missus often uses cornflour to thicken sauces. I'll pop some in the gearbox.

• Like 4