R5 Turbo

JonC

I remember seeing my cousins Raider when I was about 7 years old. I've always loved them since that day.

He sold it and bought an Integrale Evo. I remember that being left hand drive and I properly sh1t myself flying round country lanes in the outside seat.

Edited by billy2shots

Renault 5 GT Turbo Raider's were one of my favourite cars of that day.

When you consider that the power to weight ratio gave the GT Turbo about 145 bhp per ton, it isn't difficult to see why they were so sought after in their day.

Shame the interiors were absolutely terrible build quality.

It's funny because the last decade has been dominated by bhp figures but a lot of fun can be had with decent power coupled with light weight.

It's the secret to the long lasting success of the mx5 (plus the rwd).

I've had more fun in sub 200bhp cars than I've had in anything over 400bhp.

• Like 1

It's funny because the last decade has been dominated by bhp figures but a lot of fun can be had with decent power coupled with light weight.

It's the secret to the long lasting success of the mx5 (plus the rwd).

I've had more fun in sub 200bhp cars than I've had in anything over 400bhp.

+++ +++ :)

Good spot. Always loved and wanted one (the mark 1 had a typical French style interior) but the price of them now is quite steep.

Four Star classics had a couple up for sale recently. Back in the day I had a 5 Gordini Turbo which was a fantastic car and so much better than the frequently over-rated Golf Mk 1 GTi (controversial I know but IMHO) +++

Fond memories of the S2 R5 GTT in electric blue.

Wound the boost right up and constantly blew boost hoses, got a hybrid turbo and some decent pipe clamps, then the plastic end cap of the intercooler blew off instead! :rolleyes:

Edited by Tipex

I owned a grey one back in the day. Got stolen several times, last time got written off on the coast road :(

Therein lies the issue back in the day.  Renault 5 GT Turbo's and Astra GTE's were top of the stolen car list if I remember rightly?

Peugeot 205 GTi's, especially in 1.9 form, along with Golf GTi's weren't far behind.

The GT Turbo was the prime target though.  The hot hatch period of the day was so decimated by thefts that it is what murdered residual values on them.  People could buy them but not everyone could get them insured because of the risk of theft.

I don't really recall the 5 Turbo being any more of a target than any of the other hot hatches at the time, they were all a target because security was so poor back then.

The main targets were always fast Fords and particularly the Cosworth.

I guess I was lucky, I owned most of the popular hot hatches back in the day and never had one stolen, although I did minimise my risk by garaging them and fitting aftermarket alarms.