Recommend me a dashcam

Mac

Well, I bought several of these when they were sold by e-prance:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amacam-AM-M80-Miniature-Windscreen-Warranty/dp/B00KQSETHQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1462268246&sr=8-11&keywords=eprance

All still going strong, and work well.  Can be set up to be truly "fit and forget", just leave them running until you want to grab something.  MrMe seems happy wth his after I recommended it to him. 

Put a huge SD card in them, though, and mind you don't accidentally become a conduit for State surveillance and oppression of innocent drivers of older Boxsters and orange BMWs.

• Like 2

I've got one of these in my motor and got another for the wife when it was on an Amazon deal the other day ended up being £25. 

The suction mount is good but a little more bulky than the thinner lower profile one but still does the job and it comes with plenty of cable. I fed both across the edge of the windscreen and downs the pillar. +++

Well, I bought several of these when they were sold by e-prance:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amacam-AM-M80-Miniature-Windscreen-Warranty/dp/B00KQSETHQ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1462268246&sr=8-11&keywords=eprance

All still going strong, and work well. Can be set up to be truly "fit and forget", just leave them running until you want to grab something. MrMe seems happy wth his after I recommended it to him.

Put a huge SD card in them, though, and mind you don't accidentally become a conduit for State surveillance and oppression of innocent drivers of older Boxsters and orange BMWs.

Thanks for the info, just purchased one from amazon. +++

• Like 1

Right, I need a bit of help with this.

I bought the above after seeing it here. 

I am crap at car electrics.  A total novice.

It has arrived and there are 3 end wires.  One with a metal horseshoe shaped connector and then two more wires.

I also purchased one of thos Add-a-Fuse connector things (you plug them into a standard blade fuse socket on the fusebox, take the existing blade out, plug the existing blade into the connector and then another blade into the additional port it gives you).  I thought I'd be able to put the wires into one of those and plug it into the fusebox.  I suspect this is incorrect and that all I needed was the hardwire kit.  Unfortunately it doesn't come with any instructions so I haven't a clue how to wire it in.

Help, basically.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Thanks for the info, just purchased one from amazon. +++

Camera received, fitted with wire hidden from view quite neatly, though i do say so myself. Very inconspicuous, not checked any recording yet, hopefully wont ever need to.

Thanks for the recommendation. +++

I am crap at car electrics.  A total novice.

It has arrived and there are 3 end wires.  One with a metal horseshoe shaped connector and then two more wires.

I also purchased one of thos Add-a-Fuse connector things (you plug them into a standard blade fuse socket on the fusebox, take the existing blade out, plug the existing blade into the connector and then another blade into the additional port it gives you).  I thought I'd be able to put the wires into one of those and plug it into the fusebox.  I suspect this is incorrect and that all I needed was the hardwire kit.  Unfortunately it doesn't come with any instructions so I haven't a clue how to wire it in.

Help, basically.

Last time I used one of these it had two wires going into the horseshoe connector, they were the live connection, and the other was the ground.

It sounds like if you only have one of the wires connected to the metal horseshoe then it's set up for 24v (i.e. trucks), you had to have both live wires connected for 12v mode.

They may well be different now as it was a few years ago, but I think you need to identify which of the other wires is the live.

Personally I'd just connect the live straight to the battery with an inline fuse, and then the ground to a bolt somewhere under the bonnet, however, being a BMW means the battery is in the boot and a pain to run cables, so you need to identify an ignition switched fuse in the fuse box and use the Add-a-Fuse thing (hopefully you bought the right size as mini blade fuses are more common than than standard blade fuses these days).

Edit: from memory it was red and blue that had to be paired together for 12v live and the black went to ground.

Edited by Tipex

I am crap at car electrics. A total novice.

It has arrived and there are 3 end wires. One with a metal horseshoe shaped connector and then two more wires.

I also purchased one of thos Add-a-Fuse connector things (you plug them into a standard blade fuse socket on the fusebox, take the existing blade out, plug the existing blade into the connector and then another blade into the additional port it gives you). I thought I'd be able to put the wires into one of those and plug it into the fusebox. I suspect this is incorrect and that all I needed was the hardwire kit. Unfortunately it doesn't come with any instructions so I haven't a clue how to wire it in.

Help, basically.

Bring it round to mine - I'll do it for you.

Last time I used one of these it had two wires going into the horseshoe connector, they were the live connection, and the other was the ground.

It sounds like if you only have one of the wires connected to the metal horseshoe then it's set up for 24v (i.e. trucks), you had to have both live wires connected for 12v mode.

They may well be different now as it was a few years ago, but I think you need to identify which of the other wires is the live.

Personally I'd just connect the live straight to the battery with an inline fuse, and then the ground to a bolt somewhere under the bonnet, however, being a BMW means the battery is in the boot and a pain to run cables, so you need to identify an ignition switched fuse in the fuse box and use the Add-a-Fuse thing (hopefully you bought the right size as mini blade fuses are more common than than standard blade fuses these days).

Edit: from memory it was red and blue that had to be paired together for 12v live and the black went to ground.

This is what that means to me:

:wacko:

But thank you anyway. :roflmao:

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Bring it round to mine - I'll do it for you.

That's a very kind offer.  See, that worked a treat! :roflmao:

I may have to come back to you and see if we can sort our mutual diaries blah blah. +++

The issue I have is I was hoping to find 10 minutes to do it myself and that's going to be different from getting yours and my diaries synchronised to a time when we can both find however long it'll take to spare!  :roflmao:

I had spare time today (just about the only day) and that's when I discovered it wasn't quite as easy as my brain told me it would be. :roflmao:

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

It's a simple job to do, but a total bastard if you've never done that sort of thing before and easy to get wrong :(

In my younger days I was always slapping on extra spot and fog lamps, upgrading the sound systems etc but doubt i'd want to tackle it on a modern car, Dave's offer sounds the best option +++