MacBook Pro screen repair

cabby

Gutted - managed to drop something on my closed MacBook resulting in me knackering the screen.  Guessing it needs and new LCD and probably top case.  Anyone had such a repair done or know of a good source to obtain parts?  

Off to sulk somewhere. . . . . . .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by cabby

Ouch.

I wish I could tell you something different but the screens aren't cheap.

Even the part is about £200-250 (13") and £320-375 (15") from a third party source, not Apple.

Fitting them isn't too bad and there are lots of videos on YouTube.  Probably no more than 30-40 minutes done carefully.

Changing the case is a bloody nightmare.  You'd have to dismantle everything and that is no mean feat.

If I was you I'd get a quote off a local Apple independent repair place because the time you'll spend trying to do all of it won't be insignificant.  I've replaced an SSD drive and done a few basic things such as a keyboard repair, but I'll admit I wouldn't be attempting to replace the screen and shell.

EDITED TO ADD:  Here, these people can supply you a screen and there is an installation video on the page.  http://www.laptop-lcd-screen.co.uk/shop/APPLE-MACBOOK-PRO-A1425-RETINA-13.3-LAPTOP-SCREEN__33186.asp

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Thanks NNMM.  I have a Mac repair Indy near the office so will get a quote from them.  There's a vid on YT of what's involved in swapping the top case and its looks relatively easy albeit fiddly.  If the screen is £300 (15") + top case I'm wondering if it's an economical repair.  Doubt it's worth much more than £600 to £700 when sorted. :(

Ah, top case only, sorry, I missed that part of the 'replacement'.+++

Apple would probably say that they'd write if off.  I had a 2 year old Mac that required £780 of repairs and had cost £2000 new.  They said they'd write it off.  I told them to feck off and do the repair, which they duly did. 

You'd still be better off getting it repaired, selling for £600-700, and putting that money towards a new one than if you just dumped it now and bought a new one.

That said, you'll be surprised how much people will pay for dead Macs.  I got £60 for a case with no logic board or other inards (other than the keyboard) by selling on eBay.

If it was me I'd probably get it repaired.  Apple can say what they want about it being a write-off when they're not the people that'll have to shell out thousands on a new one.  That might be different if your house contents insurance includes accidental damage on laptops?

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

14 hours ago, cabby said:

Accidental damage cover in place I think. Will see if I can get an indication of premium increase if we were to claim.

I suspect you'd see very little impact if any.

We had a four figure claim on a glass table top and then £2,500 for an Omega watch, within 18 months, with just a £24 p.a.  increase in premium.

• Like 1

Having got a quote from a local Indy (£440) to repair using a used screen/lid I spoke to our insurer.  They wanted a quote to repair from Apple who - surprisingly - quoted 'only' £460 with a new screen/lid. Still fecking silly for something worth £600 once repaired.

Our excess is £300 so will try (but don't expect an answer) to establish with insurer  before lodging a claim if this would be considered a write-off.  Assuming it should be yes.

The other insurance-related factor is that apparently we don't have new for old but, where electronics are concerned, its replacing with a similar spec.  I'm assuming this would be a new machine so a layout of circa £1,500.   

Will call insurer and try and establish likely outcome before pressing the button on a claim.