RS3 - Saloon!

cruiser647

Just as MrMe wishes he pulled the trigger on a 355 all those years ago, you’re goIng to miss the opportunity to get a reasonably priced fun car!

That’s why I bought the 911, values have been as low as they can be and are rising. I know someone who just paid £14k for a car very similar to one a friend of mine bought 2/3 year ago for £6k. Just look at where all the cheap Boxsters and sub-£10k 911s have gone. Anything in that bracket now is an absolute scrapper. 

With Porsche it’s really simple, all you have to ask is, “Do I have to have a 911 or will something else do?”

Mid to high teens would get you a very tidy Gen2 DFI 987 Boxster/Cayman S or, with a bit of luck, a tidy 996. 

There will never be any good financial justification for a 'sporty' car of any kind.  Such things don't exist.

They're an itch.  You scratch them or you forever look back and have the itch in the background, nagging away as you wonder why you never did it.

I may drive very, very boring and uninspiring cars now, and they're worth pennies compared to the value of past purchases, but I've been there and done it, enjoyed it and one thing I know for sure is this - none of the, M3's, 6, the X5 50i, blah, blah made any financial sense whatsoever and never would.:roflmao:

• Like 1

On the subject of the F355, that would have been the one that DID make financial sense.  Maintenance wise, no.  Appreciation value wise, oh yes.  Doubled in value.

Still, I'm not sure I'd want to change that decision because it wouldn't have made day-to-day sense and would have still meant another car.

• Like 1

I desperately wanted and lusted after a 340R years ago, ever since i saw one on the road in So'ton and had a mini seizure with excitement. At one point they were floating around 17-20k. Totally impractical but i loved them. Theyre somewhat out of budget now....

'ow much?

CSL values are some of the weirdest.

Released at stupidly high prices, sold at massive discounts, held for a while, plummeted within 2-3 years.....then after 4-5 years they went into orbit and the people who paid the least for them ended up getting silly prices for them!  Crazy.

On 3/8/2018 at 6:05 PM, billy2shots said:

Back in 2005/6 I had £35k sat in my bank. I test drove 3 different BMW M3 CSLs. 

I bought a Golf R32.........:-(

On 3/8/2018 at 7:16 PM, cruiser647 said:

But would you have kept it long enough for appreciation or did they shoot up straight away?

On 3/8/2018 at 8:02 PM, billy2shots said:

They started to sky rocket 12-18 months later so I would have still had it. Oh well, you win some you lose some. 

Classics and collectables didn't go up for many many years after 2005/2006?  The recession f**ked everything in 2008 remember!

In 2008 or 2009 (just before I bought the S4) a Volcano Black RS2 on the S2 forum was sold near my parents on the south coast for £6k!  Doh!

19 hours ago, Ian_C said:

Classics and collectables didn't go up for many many years after 2005/2006?  The recession f**ked everything in 2008 remember!

In 2008 or 2009 (just before I bought the S4) a Volcano Black RS2 on the S2 forum was sold near my parents on the south coast for £6k!  Doh!

August 2006 I was looking at (and test driving)  Grey CSLs with sub 20k on the clock. 3 different cars within a 2 hour drive for me were priced at £32k-£35k. 

Instead I ordered and waited for the new mkv R32 and shelled out £32k on a heavily loaded one. In November 2007 I got divorced and sold my R32 for £21k, that was the very best figure I could get. I started looking at CSLs again. This time anything sub 25k miles was a shade under £40k and out of reach for me. Sam (Woops) had his at the time I I exchanged many s PM with him. 

Priced out I bought a Corsa VXR as a bit of fun and put a deposit down on a house. 

Maybe I was wrong and dreamed the whole thing up. 

I wouldn't be bothered by stuff like that.  The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing.  If anyone says they bought an M3 CSL back then in the knowledge that they were going to make a killing, I'd suggest they're making it up as they go along.  There might be the odd person who made a shrewd decision, but they're few and far between.

Cars as an investment are folly, unless you've got every other investment on the planet and money isn't something you ever have to give much thought to.

38 minutes ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

I wouldn't be bothered by stuff like that.  The benefit of hindsight is a wonderful thing.  If anyone says they bought an M3 CSL back then in the knowledge that they were going to make a killing, I'd suggest they're making it up as they go along.  There might be the odd person who made a shrewd decision, but they're few and far between.

Cars as an investment are folly, unless you've got every other investment on the planet and money isn't something you ever have to give much thought to.

It was more aimed at Ian C saying 'classics and collectibles didn't go up until for many many years after 05/06'. Basically 'shut up Billy, you're wrong'. 

Apologies if it came across that way, no offence implied.  +++

Mint low mileage examples would always command a premium - even back then when they were a few years old.  When was the run on Northern Rock?  Around Sept 2007?  And the recession really kicked in come 2008?  I do not disagree that if you owned a CSL today it would be worth £60k+ with sensible miles, however if you'd bought in 2005/2006, you would have needed to held onto it through the recession.  It would have gone down before it went back up.  Plus as M3Me mentions above, you'd need to run it as a second car to avoid heaping miles onto it, somewhere to park / garage it, insurance, tax etc.

The Sorrento green 1.6 behind my Alpine white 1.9 was bought for £1500 with about 30/35k on the clock in shortly before this pic was taken (August 2008).  Cannot imagine what that is worth now.  A 16k Miami Blue 1.6 is currently for sale for £43k.  The bubble will burst at some point.  :)

IMG_6173 EDIT 1024.JPG

Here's the thing, people look at the final price attained, then say "it was only £2,000 originally when he bought it 12 years ago, or whatever".

Imagine that £2k car is now £30k.

I wonder how much they've spent on it, each year (Ian mentioned it above) - the investment has running costs.

Then, imagine what £2k well invested, with no running costs, in the right business or shares could be worth after 12 years.

I still believe that, unless you're very, very shrewd and get huge pleasure from the ownership experience too, that when you factor in the annual costs - the return isn't anything like a lot of people think it looks like on face value.

• Like 1