Sir Chris Hoy - Le Mans

Cuprabob

Did anyone catch the Guy Martin program where he was attempting to become the fastest human on water (human powered).  He went to meet Hoy who put him through his paces. I fully expected a follow up towards the end of Guy's training to see how much he improved in leg power. There was no follow up which seemed strange and made the first meeting pointless. I thought at the time Hoy had been edited out because he was dreadful tv. 

17 hours ago, billy2shots said:

Did anyone catch the Guy Martin program where he was attempting to become the fastest human on water (human powered).  He went to meet Hoy who put him through his paces. I fully expected a follow up towards the end of Guy's training to see how much he improved in leg power. There was no follow up which seemed strange and made the first meeting pointless. I thought at the time Hoy had been edited out because he was dreadful tv. 

That part was really interesting. Guy managed to push 75kg? with his legs, Chris Hoy managed 630KG in his world record attempt. F***ing wow.

It seems I'm going against the flow. After reading the above I almost didn't bother but I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

In my mind Hoy was still a great Olympian who was trying to be a racer and wasn't quite cutting the mustard - e.g. crashing up the hill at Goodwood, etc. I thought his seat was just due to his fame .... and I'm sure there's an element of that.

However in that program it was clear to see that he can actually drive. Hitting the lap times he was is no mean feat and although we all kid ourselves we can drive I'm sure we'd all be way off his pace. Yeah I know he's had four years of instruction/practise/etc but he'd still doing it.

Fair play to him and for being filmed where it could have ended up being embarrassing.

I'm not doubting Hoy.  He is an incredible sportsman.  He can, as you say, drive too!

The guy is a marvel in terms of his athletic achievements and then turning to racing cars.  I have nothing but admiration for him.

But...

I think it was a crap programme.  Sometimes, it just doesn't work.  I thought this was one of those occasions.

• Like 1