Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AZURES3

About to order these winter tyres, thoughts

79 posts in this topic

£1,500+  :roflmao:

Why when you can get another used OEM set for the price you're saying you think you could sell them for?  Or, a brand set of non-OEM's that look exactly the same?

Up to you, but it seems like a hell of a lot of money to be spending! 

Price dropping on oem size and non run flat too. About £280 cheaper than 2 weeks ago.

IMG_0252.PNG

19 minutes ago, AZURES3 said:

WTF is it carpet adhesive spray :)

Snake Oil springs to mind.

1 person likes this

It says it lasts 50 miles and you can spray 80 tyres with it.  That gives you 1,000 miles.

At £7.99 a can, and say 12,000 miles a year for your average driver, you get through 6,000 miles in late autumn/winter for less than £50.

Result! :roflmao:

1 person likes this

When I get back from holiday in the sun and its cold at home I will think about the Oponeo order seems the best idea and should hold some resale value even if £200 half worn.

Edited by AZURES3

Well I think you are completely mad.  But that's just my opinion - our household looks like a wheel shop sometimes!  And that's even after I've recently offloaded some wheels and tyres.  Three cars to swap onto winter wheels soon, and my Peugeot has a second set of OEM alloys.  Imo there are just too many advantages to having wheels and tyres.  And that's before you take into consideration the tyres 'could' cost only £424, not £740!

How OCD you are - and how much you like cleaning - definitely comes into the equation though!  Miss my S4 with its refurbished summers and winters....

WP_000140.jpg

Avus.jpg

Are they IN the house?

I would be hung, drawn and quartered!  :roflmao:

12 hours ago, Ian_C said:

Well I think you are completely mad.  But that's just my opinion - our household looks like a wheel shop sometimes!  And that's even after I've recently offloaded some wheels and tyres.  Three cars to swap onto winter wheels soon, and my Peugeot has a second set of OEM alloys.  Imo there are just too many advantages to having wheels and tyres.  And that's before you take into consideration the tyres 'could' cost only £424, not £740!

How OCD you are - and how much you like cleaning - definitely comes into the equation though!  Miss my S4 with its refurbished summers and winters....

WP_000140.jpg

Avus.jpg

I agree it may seem mad but spare wheels for the M235i are hard to find, also if I had wheels/tyres in doors my wife would be mad as a box of frogs

8 hours ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

Are they IN the house?

I would be hung, drawn and quartered!  :roflmao:

5 hours ago, AZURES3 said:

I agree it may seem mad but spare wheels for the M235i are hard to find, also if I had wheels/tyres in doors my wife would be mad as a box of frogs

Haha yes, not just laid out to wax before and after use, but stored inside too.   :grin:

The second photo with the thin carpet and no underlay is an attic room of my parents Victorian town house.  They got stacked in wheel bags in the corner.  Put a few thick pieces of cardboard under the bottom wheel to stop the rubber residue / tyre dressing coming through the wheel bags and leaving a 'ring' in the carpet.  Carrying them up two flights of steep Victorian stairs is the hard bit!

2 people like this

if we get bad snow here I will just chuck the winter wheels on the Rav 4 and leave my car parked up, although I bought the tyres and wheels off a friend 2 years ago and they have not moved from the Asguard shed in the garden since.

These seem to be the best performance winter tyre with great reviews. I am going to drop 1cm on the rear as per the recommendations on the forums.

tyres.jpg

1 person likes this

We've had hailstones this morning and there has been snow in Alnwick (45 minutes up the road).

I still won't be putting winter tyres on.

Wuss. :roflmao:

1 person likes this

Can I just confirm that wide, low profile, 20" tyres are the way to go in winter? I do get so confused. :rolleyes::roflmao:

2 people like this

It's times like this I'm glad I live 1 mile from work. My winter rubber are Nike Air Max, both left and right are the same size and this will be their 3rd winter. 

2 people like this

7 hours ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

We've had hailstones this morning and there has been snow in Alnwick (45 minutes up the road).

I still won't be putting winter tyres on.

Wuss. :roflmao:

:)

looking at the latest Evo tyre tests I think I have done the right thing, the Michelin Piliot Super Sport is clearly a tyre that likes, warm dry weather !

oh and Costco have £60 off all Michelin sets of 4 tyres in November :)

Edited by AZURES3

Oooyah bastard! They're expensive. You could buy a tatty old 4X4 for the same price and bin it in the spring. 

Go on, Frontera, I dare you...

2 people like this

55 minutes ago, theduisbergkid said:

Oooyah bastard! They're expensive. You could buy a tatty old 4X4 for the same price and bin it in the spring. 

Go on, Frontera, I dare you...

Top Gear challenge!  (or wahtever it's called now)

I looked at the idea of a shitmobile for the odd day when the snow arrived.

Subaru cars are like rocking horse poo for this purpose.  Lots of people go for them.

The issue is very simple though - if you're going to do a fair few miles then you need reliability too, and shitmobiles aren't known for that.  Plus, would he want to lose the refinement of a new BMW for the probably uncomfortable experience of a 15 years old bucket?  I wouldn't (hence I bought the wheels and tyres, never used them, then sold them at a loss in the spring time :roflmao: ).

1 person likes this

Having some winter wheels and tyres delivered today for the Mrs' Boxster. 

We had some for her 3 series Cab and they were phenomenal. 

Two days in a row I have left home just after 7am and temperatures have been very cold BUT I haven't ordered winter tyres yet :)

The Michelin Pilot Super Sports definitely don't like it that cold with some wiggles on acceleration to wake you up.

See attached and this was after 30 mins driving !

Cold.jpg

Get them ordered pronto, especially if you need very specific sizes, winter tyres will be selling fast at this time of year!  You don't want to find them hard to get hold of, hence the websites creep the prices up.  Plus prices are only going to head in one direction now sadly after Brexit and the slide of the pound.   :angry:

Reply to my post in your sale thread or send me a message!  Catching up with aforementioned mate tomorrow eve for a few jars - he's driving to Europe over the festive period, he needs to order his tyres pronto!  He is likely to need an even more specific tyre size than you - OEM is 245/45 R18.  He could run 225/45 R18 on your wheels, or dropping to 17s, he could run something like 225/50 R17 (more common tyre size I think?)

The only ones that fit properly on the M235i are £1050 and are runflats so I am going to brave it out and if it snows work from home or take the wife 4x4 :)

PM sent