Ethernet ports on laptops- lack thereof

Waylander

I'd really miss an ethernet connection - you don't tend to find too many wireless networtks in data centres to connect into.

My current ultrabook (Dell Latitutde something-or-other) has one but I'm fairly sure its replacement won't.  USB ethernet adapters are an option but I'd much prefer an onboard adapter.

• Like 1

I don't want to have to plug dongles in.  They get lost, they break and they can get forgotten.

Just last week I left my USB - serial adapter in a data centre in Brussels as I was packing up.  Now I need to order another one.  I'd much prefer the ports I need to be built into the laptop.

Each to their own though of course.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

I have both a Thunderbolt and USB to Ethernet adaptor for the MBP.  Plug either of them in = Ethernet port.  What's to miss?

Aye - we'll I didn't know these beasts existed hence the query. Good to know. I'll invest in a couple and look a little harder at ultrabook deals.

played with a HP Spectre and it was stunning. Not had hand-on with the XPS13 yet although that seems to be the one to get

36 minutes ago, Waylander said:

XPS13

We've had quite a few issues with the XPS13's that we've bought in Sweden and UK.  They've all had replacement motherboards and I think we've still got problems with the thunderbolt docking station on a couple of the units in Sweden.

When they work they're great but we've had too many issues for my liking.

Decent WiFi is fast enough for most things now though isn't it? I rarely have to pull out the Ethernet adapter. If I'm transferring a truck load of stuff it's far quicker to throw it on an external SSD via USB3.

My home WiFi for example is currently showing a TXFR rate of approx 1.1Gbps. It works just fine for pretty much most things I can throw at it to the point that I don't have any Ethernet ports in the front room anymore - just never bothered.

Same in the offices I use - to be fair they tend to be tech companies so tend to be relatively up to date. Only time I find myself pulling out an Ethernet (Or - god forbid - an RS-232 serial adapter) is the rare time I have to connect to stuff in racks when stuff has gone wrong.

Only wired stuff I have is my lab - that's because I have to be able to measure stuff over Gb Ethernet. 

20 hours ago, burble said:

We've had quite a few issues with the XPS13's that we've bought in Sweden and UK.  They've all had replacement motherboards and I think we've still got problems with the thunderbolt docking station on a couple of the units in Sweden.

When they work they're great but we've had too many issues for my liking.

1 hour ago, Mac said:

....and another point - XP13 = tons of ballache. 15's seem fine though? 

Now that's 2 of you I respect saying that.

could go 15" but my internal business case for the high end machine was 13" to be more portable for conferences etc but big enough for kids to homework on.

so which ultrabook would you recommend - Asus Zenbook, HP Spectre, A.N.Other (want a win laptop not MacBook to complement mbp ownership)?

On 06/12/2016 at 0:51 PM, Waylander said:

Now that's 2 of you I respect saying that.

could go 15" but my internal business case for the high end machine was 13" to be more portable for conferences etc but big enough for kids to homework on.

so which ultrabook would you recommend - Asus Zenbook, HP Spectre, A.N.Other (want a win laptop not MacBook to complement mbp ownership)?

This bugs me a bit.

We have Elitebook 840s as standard.  They are fine.  Big screen, touchpad and the touch stick thing (I still use these, I hate touchpads!!) and these Elitebooks are very light.  They also have a stupid flippy flappy Ethernet port.  Purely for aestheitic reason.  It's the weakest bit of the laptop.  Annoying too

WE have people who want the 820s instead as they are lighter.  By 200g...  Does it really make that much difference?  The screen is smaller too.  By 2".

We have had people go for the 820 (via Occupational Health) and then later one whinge that the screen is too small.  And we are so bloody soft we cater for them.  Stupidity!!!

Makes me angry!!!

Edited by cruiser647