2017 Fitness Thread

Soulboy

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, garcon magnifique said:

I'm going to the Hawskmoor tonight and then to Indian friends for dinner tomorrow. Diet starts Monday... :unsure:

Well?

I'm 2.5 weeks and tried the scales last night and was 1.5kg lighter.

Stepping up the gym shym a little too as I tried a Plank yesterday for 40s before I dropped and then some light-weights for reps (2 x 20) for leg press and pull down.

Felt very tired! I confess it also felt good when a PT walked passed me while on the rower and said "you're the hardest working guy in this gym, keep it up" +++

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Waylander said:

Well?

Ah.  Well, we didn't make it to the Hawksmoor on Friday because my cousin decided he'd try to write off his Volvo on the M60, so we're going this Friday instead. 

I did make it to the dinner party on Saturday, ate lots of impossibly good Indian food and spent the evening drinking all kinds of ridiculous spirits and talking to a tv soap actress.  Wilmslow social crowd, doncha know. :P

So, er, I guess the diet starts as soon as I get my act together and decide what I'm doing. I have managed to empty my cupboards of most of the unhealthy crap over the last few days... :secret:

10 minutes ago, garcon magnifique said:

So, er, I guess the diet starts as soon as I get my act together and decide what I'm doing. I have managed to empty my cupboards of most of the unhealthy crap over the last few days... :secret:

Not by eating it all I hope :P

Jump in Old Bean, the water's fine....

Hope your cousin is okay too.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Thanks.

Read that ~500cal less a day translates to about 1lb a week; figured that would be okay to promote healthiness without trying extreme stuff I won't maintain.

3500 calories equals a 1lb so a 500 calorie deficit a day would equal 3500. It does get a bit more complex but you don't need to worry about that.

Keep smashing it as you are. 

• Like 1

I'm one of those people that's weirdly blessed with finding it easy to lose weight. 

I go through cycles - usually around 2 years - where I just don't think about it, and don't bother....And I end up porky. I'm at the end of one of those cycles now having tipped the scales at 92Kg December 25th. The heaviest I've EVER been. Was a bit of a shock. Usually I start paying attention if I get over 80ish. 

Anyways, just by thinking about stuff I always get to the same point - I lose 1.5Kg a week. Now bear in mind that's without doing anything more in terms of activity, other than perhaps walking to work a few more times. It's more paying specific attention to *what* I put in my gob. I cut down on heavy carbs mostly. It's easy to do as i've had lots of problems with hypOglycaemia and low blood pressure in the past, so it's not difficult to manage. Just weighed myself mid morning and I'm exactly 87Kg. 24 days, 5Kg, 1.45Kg/week. Bonkers easy.

To be fair I'm also *relatively* aerobically fit. I'll often do a 40 miles plus stint on my bike without passing out, and it's not much of an issue to walk to my normal office from home (it's about an hour I guess).

I used to love working out, constantly. Mostly cardio. Sigh. Once you stop it's just so hard to get back in to it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mac said:

I'm at the end of one of those cycles now having tipped the scales at 92Kg December 25th. The heaviest I've EVER been.

I'd love to be 92Kgs - but then I am about a foot taller than you :roflmao:

Edit - just weighed myself :blink: 99Kg - doing dry January, skipping the morning latte, having salad or sushi for lunch and bypassing the chocolate machine in the afternoon but still managed to put a kilo since New Year's Day :angry:

Edited by Pincher
  • Like 1

I have been around 13.4 stone for the last few years  but have gone up to just under 14 stone since early December.

i don't drink much alcohol, At most 2 bottles of koppardberg cider a week, trying to keep off the crisps and chocolate and have a sandwich at lunchtime followed by an average meal in the evening.

my main problem is that I have a real problem with my back which is in constant pain and is giving me pain in my sides and stomach which makes me less active so the weight is creeping on.

have been for an MRI this week and looking at the cd I think I can see some very dodgy discs but I will wait for the doctors assesment( had a spinal fusion 12 years ago, 

How many calories  should I be realistically be looking at per day, oh I am an old git now (57)

7 hours ago, steve2 said:

I have been around 13.4 stone for the last few years  but have gone up to just under 14 stone since early December.

i don't drink much alcohol, At most 2 bottles of koppardberg cider a week, trying to keep off the crisps and chocolate and have a sandwich at lunchtime followed by an average meal in the evening.

my main problem is that I have a real problem with my back which is in constant pain and is giving me pain in my sides and stomach which makes me less active so the weight is creeping on.

have been for an MRI this week and looking at the cd I think I can see some very dodgy discs but I will wait for the doctors assesment( had a spinal fusion 12 years ago, 

How many calories  should I be realistically be looking at per day, oh I am an old git now (57)

The calorie amount varies wildly depending on your individual lifestyle and how overweight you are.

As a very rough guide I would say 10-13 calories per lb of weight. 13 if you are really overweight and are quite active, 10 if you are less active and or are leanish to begin.

Im lean(ish) but weight train 4 times a week and need to drop to 10 per lb to get things moving  This will change to 8 in a month or two. 8 is not fun!!!

remember this equation changes every time you lose weight.

200lb X 10 = 2000

190 X 20 = 1900

I see say many sticking to the original figure and can't understand why they stop losing weight.

Edited by billy2shots
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Losing weight just seems so slow doesn't it? I mean until you really feel it. Also, the numbers feel small, and you only need to be a bit full of water to feel demotivated at weigh in?

Saying half a stone for example feels a lot better than saying 3Kg? 

I worry less about the actual weight - I haven't weighed myself since that post earlier, but I know I'm lighter as I'm back in 32 & 34" jeans, and I just feel better. Subjective though isn't it?!

• Like 1

All great journeys have to begin with small first steps. 

2lb a week sounds boring and slow. Keep that up for a year though and that's 104lb in a year. 7 1/2 stone!!!!

Even if 2lb a week constantly for a year seems too hard then half of that would still be life changing for some.

I'm sure a few TSNrs would snap your hand off for a drop of 50lbs  

Rembember chaps, it's not just the fat you can see, it's the fat around your organs that is the real danger. TSN is pretty middle aged and these are the danger years.

Small steps people.

• Like 1

Sure, sorry I didn't mean to sound discouraging, I was just musing on the numbers! I like stats.

I guess it helps to not just focus on the numbers, and consider how you feel, how your clothes fit etc.

I didn't really feel porky until I stood on the scales :roflmao:Then I did, and that was my motivator. Now I don't again, but still have a bit to go. I'll be done by end of Feb though I reckon.

21 hours ago, Mac said:

Losing weight just seems so slow doesn't it? I mean until you really feel it. Also, the numbers feel small, and you only need to be a bit full of water to feel demotivated at weigh in?

Saying half a stone for example feels a lot better than saying 3Kg? 

I worry less about the actual weight - I haven't weighed myself since that post earlier, but I know I'm lighter as I'm back in 32 & 34" jeans, and I just feel better. Subjective though isn't it?!

19 hours ago, billy2shots said:

All great journeys have to begin with small first steps. 

2lb a week sounds boring and slow. Keep that up for a year though and that's 104lb in a year. 7 1/2 stone!!!!

Even if 2lb a week constantly for a year seems too hard then half of that would still be life changing for some.

I'm sure a few TSNrs would snap your hand off for a drop of 50lbs  

Rembember chaps, it's not just the fat you can see, it's the fat around your organs that is the real danger. TSN is pretty middle aged and these are the danger years.

Small steps people.

19 hours ago, Mac said:

Sure, sorry I didn't mean to sound discouraging, I was just musing on the numbers! I like stats.

I guess it helps to not just focus on the numbers, and consider how you feel, how your clothes fit etc.

I didn't really feel porky until I stood on the scales :roflmao:Then I did, and that was my motivator. Now I don't again, but still have a bit to go. I'll be done by end of Feb though I reckon.

Whilst it did initially feel like a pouring of cold water on the party I actually understood what you were getting at.

its odd - a lot of effort for a small Delta (snd as you say tweaking units to feel better about it :roflmao: )

but as this hasn't been an outlandish regime and hopefully something maintainable I'd be ecstatic if I can look back on the year and have lost more than the 20kg I've set out to do (pretty much a symbolic number as I probably need to lose another stone after that!)