2017 Fitness Thread

Soulboy

On 30/08/2017 at 7:03 AM, billy2shots said:

Cto5k is a little slow given the time frame. Plan is as follows. 

Week1. Two short runs 2 miles and a longer 3 mile run. 

Week2. Two short 2.5 and a 3. 

Week3. Two shorter 3 and a 4. 

Week4. Two shorter 3 and a 5

week5. Two shorter 3 and then race and die. 

Dragged myself round a 2 mile route last night. 10 min 20 sec mile pace and was a sweaty mess at the end. It's going to hard to get under 60 minutes for 10k from this point. 

One week in, how is it going?

10 hours ago, Drinks said:

One week in, how is it going?

Much harger than I imagined to be honest. Getting older sucks. 

Just looking through my Garmin to see my progress. Trouble is my 5 year old lad loves it and constantly plays with it deleting runs and adding his own lol. 

I will log here so I can add to it in the future. 

Run 1 - 2.17 miles total time 21.30

Run 2 (I think) - same loop as Run 1. 2.17 miles. Total time 20.46 Pace 9.34 per mile

Run 3- 3 miles. Total time 29.42. Pace 9.54 per mile

Run 4 - 3 miles. Total time 28.50. Pace 9.35 per mile. 

5k done and halfway to the distance.

I'm trying to work on pacing things a bit better. My mile times are all over the place. On Monday mile 1 was 10.13 and the second mile was 9.13. Yesterday mile 1 was 9 flat and mile 2 was 10. I blame the tunes playing in my ear. 

2 days off now and will bump up to 4 miles on Saturday. My knees are hurting so I'm looking forward to recovering. 

Edited by billy2shots

12 hours ago, billy2shots said:

Much harger than I imagined to be honest. Getting older sucks. 

Just looking through my Garmin to see my progress. Trouble is my 5 year old lad loves it and constantly plays with it deleting runs and adding his own lol. 

I will log here so I can add to it in the future. 

Run 2 (I think) - same loop as Run 1. 2.17 miles. Total time 20.46 Pace 9.34 per mile

5k done and halfway to the distance.

I'm trying to work on pacing things a bit better. My mile times are all over the place. On Monday mile 1 was 10.13 and the second mile was 9.13. Yesterday mile 1 was 9 flat and mile 2 was 10. I blame the tunes playing in my ear. 

2 days off now and will bump up to 4 miles on Saturday. My knees are hurting so I'm looking forward to recovering. 

What is Race Pace?

i know you are on an accelerated regime but you should be running slower than Race Pace for now maybe 1-2 runs at or near it at the beginning of the last third of your available time. 

Now you have a bit of a base I would only be increasing distance on 1 session a week. Assuming 3 runs/week I would think One session should be slow, one "Fast" one comfortable and improving distance. 

By fast I mean breathing hard but nothing more that that. 

Im no expert though I am well aware of the pitfalls of too much/too fast, too quickly. Resulting in many trips to physio and/or sports massage. 

Have you tried the asics plan for basics. Will have to say event is in 10-13 weeks and pick and choose which week you are doing as it won't let you do such a short one but should give you some structure to train with. 

You are right, I always push things along too quickly. 

The plan I'm using has me on to two 3 mile runs during the week from here on with Saturday being a longer one. This week I'm going to do 4 miles then increase it by a mile every Saturday. 

That way I will be able to run race distance the week before the race itself. I will then deload  during the final week. 

As for race pace I have no idea. I would love to crack 60 minutes but I have never run an official 5k let alone 10k so 9 min 40 miles is a bit of a stretch I think for me. 

Run 5.

Saturdays will be my 'long run day' where I increase distance each week. Today the mileage was upped a mile to a new high of 4 miles. With the added distance, performance obviously suffered  and pace dropped to 10min 36sec miles.  I screwed up my route planning and had to run past my house for an extra half mile. That's psychologically hard when you're already knackered.

On a positive note, I've fecking got this. I have got my head around it now and am sure I can finish without having to walk at all. 

I was planning on increasing my midweek runs to 4 miles and a 5 miler next Saturday but I maybe better off keeping the 'short runs' at 3 miles (any thoughts?)

Run 5- 4 miles. Total time 42.24. Pace 10.36 per mile.

Race Goal. 10k in as close to 60 minutes as I can.

2 more midweek runs but I decided not to push these in terms of distance and speed. I stuck to 3.1 miles / 5km and used them as recovery runs. 

Today's weekend 'long run'. 

I upped last weeks 4 mile run by an additional mile and worked on my stride length and cadence. Basically my steps were too slow and my stride too long before. I battled to keep steps to circa 180 per minute and it seems to work well. 

5 miles- total time 52 mins. Pace 10.24 per mile. 

I'm happy with that for a couple of weeks training. A couple more good weeks left before race day. 60 min total is still on the cards.

• Like 1

On 25/12/2016 at 7:16 PM, Drinks said:

Would like to achieve a sub 20 min 5K time. Before the arrival of our second child in September I was at 21:30.

I have done no exercise since then, so think it will probably take around six months to achieve. This means I might just manage it before the big 40. 

Been concentrating on distance rather than pace and have been training towards a half marathon PB. Injury niggles have meant I didn't run the half and after 10 days off I've just run a 20:35 5k which is the fastest 5k I have logged since my twenties very pleased as the first km was a bit slow and I only decided to press on once my second km came in at 3:53.

Sub 20 is definitely achievable if I can manage it before my leg quits on me. Might pop down to parkrun for some competitive motivation. Local course is a bit undulating for a PB though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Drinks said:

Been concentrating on distance rather than pace and have been training towards a half marathon PB. Injury niggles have meant I didn't run the half and after 10 days off I've just run a 20:35 5k which is the fastest 5k I have logged since my twenties very pleased as the first km was a bit slow and I only decided to press on once my second km came in at 3:53.

Sub 20 is definitely achievable if I can manage it before my leg quits on me. Might pop down to parkrun for some competitive motivation. Local course is a bit undulating for a PB though. 

That's a bloody quick 5k. Well done! I can only imagine that official races spur you on that extra couple of percent. Shame the local course isn't flat. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

10km was this afternoon. 

Managed a time of 62 minutes but my own negativity cost me going sub 60. When you register it asks for a predicted time. I think I put 65 or 70 minutes having never run a 10k before. We were all allocated numbers and colours which placed you in different areas at the start. I was placed with mainly overweight and older runners. 

The run itself was along Bournemouth sea front on the promenade. Cones laid out in the centre to create a lane for the return journey meant a couple of thousand people running on half the width of the prom, approximately 2 metres. The issue was compounded by slower people running 3 abreast allowing no room to get past costing valuable time and forcing me to slow down then sprint past when the opportunity presented itself. 

As I said, it's my own fault for being pessimistic. If and it's a big if, if I do it again I will predict a quicker time to put me in a faster group. That way I can avoid the cannon fodder and run my own race. 

I do have a small felling of accomplishment sat here smashing in a pizza.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Drinks said:

Congratulations, well done on completing 10k. When is the next one, sounds like you have unfinished business reading your race report?!

Ta. Not sure I'm going to do another one to be honest. I might run 5k a couple of times a week for general fitness but I want to concentrate on my favourite exercise area as in lifting weights. The two disciplines are almost polar opposite and whilst I was happy to sacrifice things for 5 weeks, I'm glad that time has finished now. 5k shouldn't hamper progress in the weight room.