Frustratingly unresponsive throttle on my 3.0 TDi

wordsman

I've had a 2016 A8 3.0 TDi since last March, and always felt the throttle response a bit slack. Drive mode is nice for cruising around, but I have to really stamp on the gas to get enough acceleration at a busy junction. When I do hit the gas, there's still a bit of lag (turbo?) before it lurches off.

Sport is much more nimble, but less relaxed because it goes to much higher revs before changing gear. Maybe I'm not anticipating when I'll need the revs at the ready very well, but there doesn't seem to be a happy medium.

My last car was the D3 4.2 petrol, which was nice and peppy, so maybe it's getting used to diesel and turbo lag.

Does this sound normal? Am I fussing over nothing? Or should I get it checked out?

Thanks

Car settings play a big role as you have discovered yourself. It sounds like neither Drive or sport mode suits you which begs the question, did you test the car properly before buying?

The drive mode sounds similar to 'Eco' in other cars I've driven. To get the increased economy the throttle response is dumbed down a lot. Add in the fact that the gearbox may be changing up at low revs and the whole thing feels lethargic. 

24 minutes ago, billy2shots said:

Car settings play a big role as you have discovered yourself. It sounds like neither Drive or sport mode suits you which begs the question, did you test the car properly before buying?

The drive mode sounds similar to 'Eco' in other cars I've driven. To get the increased economy the throttle response is dumbed down a lot. Add in the fact that the gearbox may be changing up at low revs and the whole thing feels lethargic. 

Good question, and to be fair, I had an overnight test drive booked for an A6, when my old A8 let me down and I decided i needed something in a hurry. My local Audi had the ideal A8 in stock, which they need to shift before year end, so they did me a ridiculous lease, and I jumped in. I can't even remember how long I drove it for.

Since I wrote my message earlier, it occurred to me to try staying in Sport, and using the paddles to shift up when it's hanging on to the revs too long, and it's better, though I guess my mpg will go up a bit.

And I'll explore the Individual setting, too. Not sure how much I can play with, but worth a look.

1 hour ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

Sounds like the petrol v diesel changeover to me and perfectly normal.  

However, as it is only a year old car, what harm is there taking it in to ask the dealer anyway?  I would.

I think I'll give them a ring and see if they can check it over :o)

3 hours ago, billy2shots said:

This.  With ADS (Audi Drive Select) in simplified terms, 'Comfort' will give you the first half the pedal travel as dead travel, with the last half of the pedal travel giving you the throttle, whereas 'Sport' will give you a much more linear throttle pedal

Thankfully on the modern Audis the car 'remembers' the last used settings each time you start the engine.  This wasn't always the case - some older Audis would revert to 'Auto' each time!  Your best bet is to put the car in 'Individual' on the ADS, and set the car up how you like, with 'Sport' on the engine giving you the linear throttle response.  I'd imagine you might be able to select separate engine and gearbox settings?  And just to confuse matters, on your tiptronic, you will have a sport setting on the gear selector?

Hey Wordsman!

I too have just got behind the wheel of a D4 3.0 TDi 2012, (although yours is a D5/2016)  having changed from a D3 4.2 petrol/lpg.

I have mine set on Individual, and have the engine & gearbox in Dynamic mode.  As with the steering and suspension.  I find even in D, the car is VERY responsive.  In S, the thing flies - much quicker than the D3.  The engine is a massive improvement from the earlier D3 3.0 TDi I had before that

Try adjusting the settings in Individual Mode.  I know I really didn't like the suspension in Comfort mode.  Nor the Steering in Comfort mode.

You will love it after a while.

Edited by cruiser647