3/4 bed villa in Orlando

Busby

We've decided to take the little one to Disney in June before she starts school.  Flights are all booked so just need to find some digs now.

We'd prefer to stay in a villa rather than a hotel but there are so many that choosing one seems a bit of a minefield.  Everything is laid out in gated developments ('communities') and whilst lots of the villas look great it's hard to choose one with no idea on what the individual communities are like.

I don't mind a bit of a journey (up to 30 mins) into the parks each day if it means staying somewhere that I know is going to be nice.  

Is anyone able to recommend a particular area or better still, a particular community/development that they know to be good?

Cheers

I've stayed in Calabay Parc twice (2002 & 2003) and Southern Dunes once (2013).  There's bugger all to choose between them, they're both aroudn the same distance from the attractions and the villas were absolutely fine.

Southern Dunes was gated, Calabay Parc wasn't.  I'm not fussed either way.

There's no sense of community if any of the developments, chances are you'll rarely see the other residents.  I'd much prefer a villa though, that's not the sort of holiday where I'd want to be in a hotel.

1 hour ago, burble said:

I'd much prefer a villa though, that's not the sort of holiday where I'd want to be in a hotel.

Unless it was the Safari themed hotel for the experience, perhaps.....although it costs a fortune.

We loved being in the villa as we could come back and laze in the pool for a bit when the kids were tired and then head back out.

Being near means that isn't something to dread nor was going late at night just for the fireworks

Thanks guys - that's a great start for me to start having a more focused search.

Being close enough to come in and out during a day and pop in for the fireworks is a great point.  Cheers

54 minutes ago, CarMad said:

I colleague has a place in Windsor hills but I think its a 5/6 luxury place. Very close to the parks and you can even avoid the main entrance for some of the Disney parks a big + point. 

Thanks CM - could you ask for prices in June?  Might be a bit rich with how large it is but I may as well ask!  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I strongly recommend you to visit this website too (they have a Villas to rent section too and a map so you can see the areas):

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/

As well as the other threads on here.

One last tip I'll give, On the first day it HAS to be the Magic Kingdom if at all possible (crowds allowing - as above see Dibb) and when you DO go there for the first tmie take the boat across and then just stand back at your daughter's rapt excitement as the famous towers come into view. The monorail is faster and my all means use that later but for the first full on experience take the boat.

Tickets: Orlando Attractions (and many other sites) do great deals for 14 days for 7; and the all parks UK tickets also include the water parks.
We did the lot including Universal Studio; SeaWorld was fantastic too.

Can you tell we enjoyed it? Blooody expensive and unlikely to return for a while for various reasons but excellent trip

Also, make sure you make the time to visit the Kennedy Space Centre just to see how big a Saturn V rocket actually is.

Daytona Beach and the race circuit are also worth a visit too, if you have time 

Just by chance I took the boat across the lake to Magic Kingdom and although I didn't have any children with me I agree with what Waylamder says, the kids around me were mesmerised as was I :-) 

Edited by Cuprabob

Oh yeah, Kennedy Space Center is an absolute must.  You can get right up close to the Atlantis Space Shuttle now which was fascinating.

Personally I thought Daytona Beach was a bit of a dump - hillbilly central too.  Personally I wouldn't bother.

Last time I was there we didn't have enough time to do everything we wanted (it was a busy holiday so we needed the odd day to chill out at the villa and use the pool) so missed out on an airboat ride which was a shame.

15 minutes ago, burble said:

Personally I thought Daytona Beach was a bit of a dump - hillbilly central too.  Personally I wouldn't bother.

I know what you mean but I enjoyed the circuit tour plus walking along the boardwalk looking at the names of all the Land Speed Records and seeing where they took place. Also I was their during a bike event, which certainly wasn't "child friendly"

Cocoa Beach is a much nicer place.

Edited by Cuprabob

39 minutes ago, burble said:

Oh yeah, Kennedy Space Center is an absolute must.  You can get right up close to the Atlantis Space Shuttle now which was fascinating.

Last time I was there we didn't have enough time to do everything we wanted (it was a busy holiday so we needed the odd day to chill out at the villa and use the pool) so missed out on an airboat ride which was a shame.

Yes to both of these. Can't believe I forgot KSC. I dragged everyone kicking and screaming but even my missus agreed it was an awesome day trip

11 hours ago, Andy_Bangle said:

No more Disney Theme parks for me (well, you've gotta do them once), Disney cruises are where it's at. No villa, car rental or park tickets required - everything (full-board, room service etc, apart from booze) included in the price & all the characters in one place.  

A friend of mine highly rates the Disney cruises - he's done a handful of them. 

• Like 1