New RS5

cruiser647

Look, Audi - you can't have an RS without a V8.  It really is that simple. No.  Stop arguing. No.  It's not. Well it may well have more torque and a smoother power delivery with its twin turbos, but that's... No. Stop.

Look, call it an S5 Plus, or something.

Nice wheels though :roflmao:

V8's are gone.  Long gone.  Nobody will keep them now, except supercar manufacturers.

Sad, but times change and it won't be long before the RS4, 5 and 6 don't have traditional combustion engines. 

In fact, it won't surprise me if this is the last RS5 you see that isn't full-electric. 

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Yes, but that won't get replaced with another V8.  It has already gone down in engine size in the C63.  The next car will be a V6 or hybrid, maybe even fully electric.

I love the V8 in most guises, but it's day is over.

I'm ready to embrace electric cars when they get the range sorted and Tesla are very close to doing that.

We, the TSN collective, are dinosaurs.  That is how we'll be looked upon in the future.  

9 hours ago, Mook said:

Look, Audi - you can't have an RS without a V8.  It really is that simple. No.  Stop arguing. No.  It's not. Well it may well have more torque and a smoother power delivery with its twin turbos, but that's... No. Stop.

Audi must feel that they can't win. When the first RS came out that was normally aspirated everyone said "you can't have an RS without a turbo" :roflmao:

• Like 1

Lots of debate on RS246 about the loss of the 8500 rpm screaming V8 and the S tronic gearbox, however both have been common knowledge for ages, and personally I think this torquey new power plant and drive train is positive.  442 lb ft is 125 more than the B8 RS4, and more than any R8 or Huracan derivative.

With the B8 S4 blowing its gearboxes to bits with a quoted 325 lb ft (in reality, way more than that, more like 360 lb ft) it makes sense the ZF has been fitted to the B9.  Budget is likely the only reason the PDK isn't carried over from the Panamera with the same engine.  The main (only?) disadvantage is that the ZF lacks the aggression / ability to get off the line as quick as double clutch, so the 0-60 time isn't amazing, but the ZF suits the RS6 perfectly imo, and it has been praised in the B9 S4

Shame to see dynamic steering standard, yet the sport diff is on the options list according to some reports which I find hard to fathom.  And yes, the alloys on the show cars look questionable.  As does the rear diffuser / exhaust arrangement!

Obviously the one we are all waiting for is the RS4.  :cool:

NB.  The V8 won't be axed for a while in the larger Audi models - the 4.0 litre is simply two Golf GTi / Golf R / Audi S3 engines, and with cylinder shut down its pretty economical and sub 225 g / km CO2 now

4 hours ago, Mook said:

I plan on  buying another one later this year - before you can't buy one any more.

Got to decide which one though... :wacko:

This one.  600KW of twin turbo V8 and hybrid drivetrain.

MercedesAMG_GTConcept_EMBARGOED0845hMar7

from:  http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-germancars/mercedes-amg-gt-concept--geneva-2017/35881

...and what looks like the production version

Edited by Rachel
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ian_C said:

Lots of debate on RS246 about the loss of the 8500 rpm screaming V8 and the S tronic gearbox, however both have been common knowledge for ages, and personally I think this torquey new power plant and drive train is positive.  442 lb ft is 125 more than the B8 RS4, and more than any R8 or Huracan derivative.

With the B8 S4 blowing its gearboxes to bits with a quoted 325 lb ft (in reality, way more than that, more like 360 lb ft) it makes sense the ZF has been fitted to the B9.  Budget is likely the only reason the PDK isn't carried over from the Panamera with the same engine.  The main (only?) disadvantage is that the ZF lacks the aggression / ability to get off the line as quick as double clutch, so the 0-60 time isn't amazing, but the ZF suits the RS6 perfectly imo, and it has been praised in the B9 S4

Shame to see dynamic steering standard, yet the sport diff is on the options list according to some reports which I find hard to fathom.  And yes, the alloys on the show cars look questionable.  As does the rear diffuser / exhaust arrangement!

Obviously the one we are all waiting for is the RS4.  :cool:

NB.  The V8 won't be axed for a while in the larger Audi models - the 4.0 litre is simply two Golf GTi / Golf R / Audi S3 engines, and with cylinder shut down its pretty economical and sub 225 g / km CO2 now

Ian - the RS5 (not the new one) the 2013-16 model.  What was standard and what were the options?

1 hour ago, cruiser647 said:

Do it, and do it quickly.

Have had 3.  All 3 slightly different versions of the venerable Audi V8 4.2  +++

I will have another.......

Too late. Split the difference and plumped for a 6! I was afeared (proper Devonian there!) of going down an E90 M3 road, M tax on everything and 'teen mpg vs slightly more £ on newer M-lite with warranty, better mpg etc. 

Its built too, and on its way to carrier. :o

2 hours ago, Arch said:

Too late. Split the difference and plumped for a 6! I was afeared (proper Devonian there!) of going down an E90 M3 road, M tax on everything and 'teen mpg vs slightly more £ on newer M-lite with warranty, better mpg etc. 

Its built too, and on its way to carrier. :o

What a choice to have had to make.

I feel for you.

• Like 2

Doesn't leak. Much. 

Still got it. Still barely drive it. Really ought to sell up but I'm hanging on until the new TVR is launched (whenever that is) in the vain hope that it'll push prices of the old ones up a bit. I think I'd be in profit if I sold now but I'd kick myself if the went up 20% in the next year :blink:

Keep hold of it.

Prices of Mk2 Golfs have gotten stupid recently - one of the reasons I've still got mine tucked up in the garage.  Even molested as it is, it's apparently worth a shed-load more than I originally paid for the base car.  The £1M of modifications make it worth considerably less, of course :)

11 hours ago, Mook said:

Ian - the RS5 (not the new one) the 2013-16 model.  What was standard and what were the options?

Er, main option is Dynamic Pack, which gives you the 20s, DRC (Dynamic ride control), Sport Exhaust + Dynamic steering

Personally....... I hate the 20s.  Yes they look awesome, and the 19s aren't a great design, but it hops and skips around too much on 20s (RS4 and RS5 I've driven were on 20s) plus they are ridiculously vulnerable with zero kerb protection.  Ask Smudge how many refurbs he's had!

Sport Exhaust is essential imo - however, another solution is a non Dynamic Park car with a Milltek.  Losing the 20s + dynamic steering is no bad thing imo.  And the standard suspension (non DRC) is really good too

B&O absolutely essential

Likewise, sat nav wasn't standard on the early cars.  Initially there were two systems:  DVD based / HDD 3G.  DVD was dropped around 2013 2014, sothe facelift RS5 possibly only came with the HDD?  But if going for an early car, you definitely want the HDD 3G, the DVD-based is essentially a built in RNSE and feels ancient!

Rarer options are the bucket seats and ceramics.  Heated seats were optional....... but the buckets have them bundled in

Buckets rob what little rear leg room you have...... however, they do look and feel awesome, and are great for someone our frame!  And you could argue they make more sense in the RS5 than RS4.  The standard Super Sports are bloody good though - and for this reason far fewer B8s have buckets compared with B7s

Active cruise / braking guard is good for a commuter, town driving, motorways and dual carriageways, but probably less important (irrelevant) for your neck of the woods!

Message Fatcat, he used to have one!

Launch PDF:

http://www.passionwithoutlimits.com/uploads/files/brochure-audi-rs5.pdf

Don't worry guys. Fast forward 20 years and I'll still have a nearly new V8 in the garage you can all come round to hear. 

I took a pic of the odometer in July last year, prob for the mpg for MrMe, and checked to see how many miles it had done since then. 160. 

• Like 3