Buy to let novice - first of many questions!

cabby

On 5/3/2017 at 5:44 PM, cabby said:

Well, well, well.  Agent called today saying vendor does not think the other purchaser can proceed (via another agent) and - wait for it - would we be interested still?

My gut reaction was 'please tell the vendor to go fu@£ themselves'.  However, having given it some thought I might counter with a revised offer (reduced of course) and a request that vendor pays us say a £2k fee to insure us against them pi$$ing about again.  The £2k would be refunded upon completion.

Anyone done anything similar to the deposit thing before?

Ta Booster.

Reduced offer accepted and £2.5k deposit against abortive costs agreed.  Solicitor preparing a side agreement for deposit.  Here we go again . . . 

Edited by cabby

Not had an issues here either and I have 2 more progressing at the moment.  Mine are actually structured to pay themselves off in 9 years so I'll have no btl mortgage costs, they are in a nice area and never empty so I can't complain.

Some tenants are a bit moany, but nothing that can't be dealt with. I think they are great to provide a little side income.

Here is one that some of my FB friends are aware of.

I have to go to our vacant 3-storey office property to meet a local council official.  The office qualifies for being exempt of rates - due to being vacant.

However, I have to meet them to prove it is vacant - because they've called to say that when they've visited the property, there has never been anyone in....

FFS.

4 hours ago, NewNiceMrMe said:

Here is one that some of my FB friends are aware of.

I have to go to our vacant 3-storey office property to meet a local council official.  The office qualifies for being exempt of rates - due to being vacant.

However, I have to meet them to prove it is vacant - because they've called to say that when they've visited the property, there has never been anyone in....

FFS.

It appears rather stupid and a waste of time but it's a nice couple of hours work for the council worker. An easy job to claim 2 hours (always stretched out with traveling etc) probably tag a break or lunchtime on that and hey ho that's half a day gone. Pick up his/her public sector wages and pension and then complain how bad off they are while us private sector workers prop up the country.

*All sweeping statements to reflect my current mood.

Edited by billy2shots

One of the dads from my kid's school has just left a job with the Council where he worked in "event organising."

He is now in the same line of work in the private sector and knows what a days work is!

He seemed gobsmacked that they don't pack up at 3pm on a Friday and go to the pub!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, billy2shots said:

It appears rather stupid and a waste of time but it's a nice couple of hours work for the council worker. An easy job to claim 2 hours (always stretched out with traveling etc) probably tag a break or lunchtime on that and hey ho that's half a day gone. Pick up his/her public sector wages and pension and then complain how bad off they are while us private sector workers prop up the country.

*All sweeping statements to reflect my current mood.

Well, yes, one could see how another council and another location could do that, but....

The property is 400 yards from his office. :roflmao:

• Like 1