BMW M2 'Facelift'

Andy_Bangle

I noticed the same in my wife car, in the 5 its back lit and the glow and look really good unless you have the MFD, never noticed it as bad in my previous 3 either for some reasons. 

Note she just has a standard 2 series not a M2. :P

Here's something - "Start/Stop Engine".

What else is a big button like that going to do - a hairdryer?

It's not just BMW - all manufacturers seem to be at it. And with most of them you still have to stick a key in the dashboard as well, which just hangs there with all your house keys on it and scratches the crap out of your dash.  Yes, yes, I know that some cars have keyless ignition and all that stuff, but seriously - WTF is wrong with twisting a key to start a car?

Is this just tech for tech's sake?

40 minutes ago, Arch said:

Thanks for posting that, I thought mine wasnt working properly! 

It isn't working properly if you still have the 'Efficient Dynamics'display turned on :roflmao:

My M2 is in for a service and to get the brake guards sorted out next week. It didn't need a new diff, only the stones removing from the brakes +++

6 hours ago, Mook said:

Here's something - "Start/Stop Engine".

What else is a big button like that going to do - a hairdryer?

It's not just BMW - all manufacturers seem to be at it. And with most of them you still have to stick a key in the dashboard as well, which just hangs there with all your house keys on it and scratches the crap out of your dash.  Yes, yes, I know that some cars have keyless ignition and all that stuff, but seriously - WTF is wrong with twisting a key to start a car?

Is this just tech for tech's sake?

Yeah I kinda agree with you, although it is convenient not having to use a key at all to unlock the car sometimes, the keyless ignition is a bit annoying when I get out of the car to open the door for a customer and leave the engine running, every single customer asks why the car is bing bonging so loud, it gets a bit old explaining that the key is in my pocket and I'm not in the car.

Equally annoying though (and what I think you are mostly referring to) are cars with a start button but without keyless ignition, as every time I drive a car like that (i.e. Mrs T's Prius) I get out and leave the keys in the ignition, every fecking time.

Incidentally, the start/stop button in the Galaxy doesn't mention start, stop or engine, it just says 'Ford Power' which is slightly optimistic.

3 minutes ago, Tipex said:

Incidentally, the start/stop button in the Galaxy doesn't mention start, stop or engine, it just says 'Ford Power' which is slightly optimistic.

:roflmao:

A bit like the Aston display on the dash - what was that "power, soul love" or something?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tipex said:

At least with the BMW you can just keep your key in your pocket. Although rummaging around in said pocket to find the unlock button without actually producing the key probably makes you look like some kind of sex pest ... which only goes to confirm most people's opinion of BMW drivers.

My main gripe, previously mentioned, is when you've emptied the boot, got a handful of bags, manage to balance them all somehow while you press the button on your key to lock the car, put the key back in your pocket, go inside, put down the bags without dropping them and finally sit down ... at which point your ****ing bootlid springs open because you inadvertently pressed the boot release button on the key in your trouser pocket when you sat down. :ffs:

I think it works like Tipex says, if you have keyless entry and keyless start (so need a starter button). I really struggle to see the point in having one without the other and can't believe manufacturers are still producing halfway house setups. I have a small key fob that never leaves my pocket. Above puzzles me, having to find the fob, press the unlock button and then leave the key there. Why???

21 minutes ago, garcon magnifique said:

At least with the BMW you can just keep your key in your pocket. Although rummaging around in said pocket to find the unlock button without actually producing the key probably makes you look like some kind of sex pest ... which only goes to confirm most people's opinion of BMW drivers.

With the Ford system you don't use the key for anything, you just need it on you, the car unlocks automatically when you pull the handle, there is just a start button inside, no key hole, the boot opens/closes if you have the key on you and wave your foot under the back bumper, to lock it you just touch the little touch pad embedded in the front door handles or boot handle.

The key does have buttons on it for the doors/boot so you can unlock it from a distance if you want too, presumably for the coming home lighting or whatever it's called, but generally you never use them.

The wife has comfort access on her 2 series. Great when walking up to the car with a child and bags in your hands and opening the boot by kicking under the rear bumper. 

But the first 20 times you try to figure it out you look a like you are trying to kick the car. :grin:

• Like 1

Unfortunately, though you can do that on the two series CarMad, that option is not available on the 'lesser model' 1 series, though you still have to pay extra for the CA option which I did.

Its only limited to opening with your hands. To think I paid about £350 I think for the priviledge. Bastards!

I do remember looking like a fool kicking at the car for ages and nothing happening when I just got it,only to find out the kick action boot opening was not available on the 1 series

One good thing about it though is that you can never lock the keys in the car as I found out at some point.

I'm not sure we would pay for it, the car came spec'ed with it already included, it us useful just not sure its worth paying for. One pain my wife has is I go to the boot, open it but the doors are still locked and you then need to go round to the side of the car to open the door or actually put your and in your pocket, I mean really.... :grin:

On 2017-5-9 at 2:33 PM, Andy_Bangle said:

It isn't working properly if you still have the 'Efficient Dynamics'display turned on :roflmao:

My M2 is in for a service and to get the brake guards sorted out next week. It didn't need a new diff, only the stones removing from the brakes +++

Can you turn that annoying Efficientdynamics display off then Andy? I have looked but can't find it. Its really just a pointless 'how far is your foot on the throttle ometer'

I've read stones in brakes is common and there is a fix I think now? And the faulty diffs were a specific batch across M2/3/4.

Absolutely love my car.....but possibly wish I had gone for black? The blue is awesome - but stands out a mile and probably a bit too 'showey' for me.

I soon got used to the noise. If i get in a 'normal' car now, it feels like driving a hairdryer :grin: .....reminds me of my old Vespa days!