A3 Sportback 59 reg

cruiser647

Geezer at work bought one just over a year ago.  2.0T.  Pretty nice!  Only 48K miles!

It has since been serviced and all was good until Friday when the car would not start.

He quickly joined the AA as they offer that service!  And the chap thinks the cambelt has snapped.  :o

He is gutted and it goes to Hatfield Audi to look at it.

As he was chatting, it occurred to me that the car is over 5 yrs old, but less than the 60 K mile belt change.  But the garage didn't advise him to change the belt.

Reckon he can ask them to pay some moneies toward the repair?  Like all tjhe parts or the labour or even foot the bill as they never told him to change the belt... 

If it is the belt.......

Oh, and is it an interference type engine as he tried to start it a few times......

Nearly all modern engines are interference, the AA bloke only *thinks* the cambelt has snapped? why didn't he check? takes minutes to have a look.

Garages only advise what work should be done, ultimately it's up to you to read the service schedule and know when the belt should be changed so he'll be incredibly lucky if they offer anything at all on a car that is well out of warranty.

Belts are perishable so mileage is pretty irrelevant (unless you do big mileage and have to change things sooner).  The books should say when belts should be replaced and it's his duty to do so or run the risk of a snapped belt. 

Don't quote me but I seem to remember the golf Gti needed a change every 4 years. The A3 2T is the same engine etc. 

Edited by billy2shots

I mentioned that to him - although I thought it was 5 yrs or 60 K miles - whichever is the sooner.

Garages never pass up an opportunity to get extra work, be it brake fluid change or pads.  Especially when the service book says so. It is a proper Audi garage.

We'll see what they take a look.

One interesting thing with VW, is that the change on age recommendation is a VW UK directive and the actual service booklet that comes with the car only states a change on mileage limit, which on my Scirocco is 140k miles. However, I did have it changed at 5 years, along with the tensioner and water pump for peace of mind.

Edited by Cuprabob