Holy cr*p, a car thread!

Tipex

Thought this may interest a few of you, it is what would be considered a '*Barn find' and personally I love it.

Popped in to my mates garage for quick cuppa and chat and this was sitting on his lift waiting to be tinkered with, amazingly there is no rust at all, it's totally solid, under the arches, the sills, around the roof etc, just needs a couple of hours with a dent magician, a damn good polish, perhaps a new roof and it'll look fantastic, interior is completely original even down to the Clarion stereo, just needs a clean up and the drivers seat sorting, otherwise it's in great nick.

205.JPG

205(1).JPG

205(2).JPG

205(3).JPG

205(4).JPG

205(5).JPG

205(6).JPG

205(7).JPG

The story is that it was taken in by a used car dealer back in 2009 (either P/EX or simply bought to sell on the forecourt, not sure) and shortly afterwards they closed down, the owner of the garage had the remaining stock (of which this was one) moved to his house, where it has sat outside ever since, the sales info document is still in the car from when it was on the forecourt, it's showing the car was for sale with 72,000 miles on the clock, I suspect they rounded it down to the nearest thousand as it only has 72970 on it now 8 years later-

205(8).JPG

After a little bit of tinkering (genuinely not much) it starts and runs, the whole braking system is going to be replaced (for obvious reasons) then it'll be put through an MOT which it will probably pass, at the most it may need a few bushes etc, then the chap is going to run it around for a bit.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed looking at the pics and the story, there's too much doom and gloom at the moment.

*isn't everything a 'Barn Find' these days? despite never seeing the inside of a garage let alone a barn!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, theduisbergkid said:

I wonder what they're like to drive?

Like all 205s, they're really rubbery (my grandfather had three of the bloody things). The cabrio never cocked it's back leg like the GTI, because the body flexed so much and my ex wife described being driven in one as "a bit like being a biscuit tin"

Yeah I'd imagine it's a little wobbly/flexible but I'm sure it probably handles well, the tin top is renowned for it's good handling, the cabrio can't be that much worse? Can it?

I wonder how much of that  2009 3k asking price it would fetch, these are the kind of things going for silly money to idiots like us trying relive our youth now our mortgages are paid off, or is it just not quite GTi enough to be up there?

Drove one "in the day" & they are more wobbly than a wobbly thing!

In fact IIRC the body flex makes them REALLY good off-road in that the body flex is nearly as good as a Range Rover's axle articulation!

Edited by E-bmw
I am a cock!
  • Like 2

I came back from holiday on Tuesday and lo and behold what did I discover in my barn ( garage)? A bloody M3. Looks like it has never been touched. Once I get rid of the cobwebs I might see if it starts. 

• Like 5