[Audi A3/S3] Uprated Clutch & Flywheel

r88per

The clutch / flyhweel on my S3 has been a bit suspect for a while know. No slippage just an annoying vibration feel through the pedal when taking up bite and a very short travel, with a snappy feel to it.

I've done the dealer thing and they say theres nothing wrong. But I've drove 2 other S3's now and somethings definately not right. The clutch felt smooth with no snappiness.

Anyway I'm going to change it in a few weeks and this is where the question arises.

Do I go for option 1 which is to replace the clutch and dual mass flywheel with geniune Audi parts. I can get these for around £587 (trade)

Or Option 2 which is to fit a lightened flywheel and uprated clutch. Ive seen this 516_x450.jpg

ECS Tuning

with which the current exchange rate comes in at £733.

The car is chipped by MTM so there is the issue of a standard clutch going again in the future. But I dont want a sharp visceous clutch with the amount of town driving I do.

Also surely Audi made the flywheel a dual mass one for a reason, can anyone forsee engine problems by removing this for a solid Aluminium one?

What do you guys think becasue as you can tell I havnt a clue which way to go. smashfreakB.gif502_x450.jpg

Id be intrested to know what you find out, my clutch also has the same feel, snappiness although no vibration. The pedal is very short and its annoying...

Ill get my dealer to take a look, but I might need a new clutch...

Im getting the ECS Stage 1 clutch and lightened fly wheel for $400 US jump.gif I reckon its bargain of the century as the OEM flywheel costs that by itself. Its rated up to 270hp which is heaps to what im running 220hp. But if ur putting out more go for the stage 2 they both have rave reviews in the US! beerchug.gif

I might look at a saachs or werks of art clutch only replacement if I can... id rather keep the dual mass flywheel if possible..

r88per, let me know what you find out.. a friend said he dropped the issue of a lightened flywheel/clutch because he heard of stalling issues with the flywheel???

I need a clutch that wil take 350-400hp for APRs Stage III.. Most of those ECS ones dont hold the power

Hi

Thats my flywheel!

Its very light and is made by Fidanza.

Its a great way to get rid of turbo lag The revs move very fast both up and down so you have to change your driving style.

It also suffers from clatter at tickover to get around this you can raise the revs slightly by using Vagcom.

I went for a spec lightend stage 3 clutch.

All in all with tax and fitting about £1500.

SimonS3MTM

Thanks Simon - I new you had this fited and was waiting for you to post up to be honest.

[ QUOTE ]

Its a great way to get rid of turbo lag The revs move very fast both up and down

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the sound of this but dont like the thought of this

[ QUOTE ]

It also suffers from clatter at tickover to get around this you can raise the revs slightly by using Vagcom.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I'd had a drive of yours at AMD now, so I could have felt it in person. The clattering / juddering is what I want to avoid. Can you feel this clattering through the clutch pedal? Also whats the bite on the clutch like, is it severe.

I appreciate that youve got to pay a price for performance, but I'm not as much as a power junkie as you tongue.gif Especially as I use my car everyday. But if it makes a lot of difference I suppose it may be worth it.

Plus I guess it complements youre underdriven pullies.

What I really want is the same stock feel, but dont want to have to change the clutch again. Did you consider putting in an uprated clutch with the dual mass flywheel.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm finding it really hard to make a decision.

Thanks

Paul