SPOTY 2017

Cuprabob

To him as much as anyone else, apparently.

When a last minute campaign in a couple of bike mags swings second place for him, you have to wonder how many people bothered to vote overall.

And you never see all the bookies being so ridiculously far off unless something weird's going on.

SPOTY has only survived this long because the BBC loves talking about itself so much. I'm absolutely sure there are BBC execs who genuinely believe that sports people cherish a SPOTY award as highly as their professional championships and gold medals. Utterly delusional.

Results attached - a lot lower numbers than I expected and easy to see how with the motorbike world behind him that Jonathan Rea nearly won. I didn't vote for him and had a few people on a Trackday FB group jump on me. 

Yes he dominated again but for me the competition wasn't strong enough in WSBK and nor is it the highest level of the sport despite being a World Championship.

Capture.JPG

Just seen this :

Number of Brits who watched the last round of WSB on Eurosport this year: 33,000*
Number of Brits who just voted for Johnny Rea in SPOTY: 80,567

To be fair I was one of those that watched all the rounds of WSBK and I still didn't vote for him. :)

• Like 1

I suspect you will find that "his public" don't give a tw@.

In spite of the fact that most people on here will watch some motorsport & many of those include F1. It has always been a minority sport & the fact that most of it now resides on "pay tv" only re-inforces this further.

He will probably (even as we speak) be consoling himself between the warm wetted parts of the latest conquest & doing a good fist of "smug face" just to keep him going through the off-season, whilst counting the millions.

Well done Farah.

Second and third are a farce.  Rea won on the back of a motorcycling fraternity campaign.  Peacock got the vote of Strictly viewers.

The whole SPOTY thing is dead now.  This year proves that.

Joshua lost 3rd place by 18 votes.

I'm not diminishing what Rea in particular has done but the simple fact is that it appears the bookies slashed odds on him when they got wind of the campaign.  Is it right that those who are fans of a sport should campaign to get 'lesser' recognised sports people known?  It is probably fair but does it give us the right top 3?  I don't think so.  It is simple massaging of statistics and little more.

I colleague was there this year he said it was really good they put on a fantastic show to those in the audience. 

Mo did appear on the live link after people stopped watching in a flood of tears apparently.

To the point earlier about so much sport being on PPV is a good point. I love watching F1 but when it goes from Channel4 will I stop watching probably. Football has gone the same for me and other reasons I used to watch it a lot time another factor at the moment. 

I could see some sports going back to Freeview and picking up a large following albeit with shorter term funding possibly. But I don't think any sport as suffered enough from visibility vs money just yet. 

BBC iPlayer have the post-broadcast interview with Farah and he was clearly humbled.

In respect of football, that is going to change anyway in 2019/20 when Netflix and Amazon bid in big numbers.  BT Sport will sink.  Sky will get the main batch then Netflix and Amazon will take the rest.  The bidding round that follows in 2022 will see Netflix and Amazon begin to oust Sky.

Football on those channels will be a huge bonus for fans.  No more silly prices as they won't charge anything like Sky.  They're interested in the consumer data and they'll get it and sell-on through it.

Don't be surprised to see Netflix go for F1 too.  I can see that happening.  Their business model needs more sport and they're very, very keen to get it.

Amazon could out-bid them all but they don't have enough interest in F1 as they view it as too niche and a declining audience - and they rarely get things wrong in that respect.

Freeview can't afford anything, unfortunately.  I just want Netflix and Amazon to decimate Sky and BT - and I'm 99% confident they will.

Netflix and Amazon taking market share of sport would be fab but do they really have the critical mass to get it and still make money? Netflix don't seem to do an at all costs attitude to everything, look at the Grand Tour. 

F1 and Amazon with the grand tour I thought could work as they have already done Le Man 24hr documentaries. Either way it is indeed promising to see Skys dominance challenged.