S8 V10

cruiser647

I took one out for a drive.....

Wow!!!

Quite fierce!!  Have to be very soft on the throttle on take off!  Sounded very muted.

In fact, the ride felt better than mine at the moment!!!

Seriously considering one now...  Not sure if I'd miss any of the newer tech on the D4.  Maybe, but there is probably a lot I don't use....

Will see!!!

I have looked at S8's and found the market awash with very poor examples.

Running costs are astoundingly high and I think there are better buys out there.

If you're going to buy one, do so with thousands in mind (and I don't mean just a few grand) for the potential repair budget and your daily running costs.

• Like 1

I financed a 2014 S8 for a client who has had some very nice cars mid December last year.

I received an email that contained this on the first day back after the Christmas holiday:

I will probably be on the phone to you sooner rather than later as the S8 is fantastic, but the fuel cost is worse than any car I have ever owned with the exception of my Range Rover Sport Supercharged. Even the 911 turbo was better!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

No consideration of an M5? I know you like an Audi but a V10 M5? Or even the new models have depreciated hugely. 

They are more complicated than the S8

However, I think I'll have a look and a drive.....

However, it is a size down from the 8.

Edited by cruiser647

Yes, ultimately the M5 isn't comparable in size to an S8.

However, I'd not go near a V10 M5 anyway.  Their passion for fuel consumption is legendary.  

They're no more complicated than an S8 though and the S8 will, if all is equal, cost you a hell of a lot more to run.

The Independent said that Audi's claimed "20 mpg" was a mythical figure that nobody achieved and that if you were "pottering around", you should be prepared to settle for 12 mpg.  Yes, 12 mpg....

Awesome car, awesome running costs.

• Like 1

Have just been out in an M5.  06 'auto' model.

The salesman bloke started it up and it was a very unsettled engine with a possible duff fan bearing (or worse) as something was squealing.  The engine would sit idling and then the revs would rise upto 1000, and back down to 700 or 800 and also upto say 900.  Even after the drive with it warm, the engine revs were not steady at all.

I know, possibly one very poor example.

The ride was bloody lovely.  Smooth - even over  cats eyes.  Steering was great, good feel and very good auto centre, but was damn heavy when we got back to the garage, so not sure if it was supposed to be that heavy?

Sounded awesome too and although I did not run it up to even 6k revs, it went very well.  Nice little blip on the down change.  However, both up and down changes were quite lethargic with a noticeable lag between.  Even when sitting still and selecting D, you could hear a clunk and feel a slight jolt.  But I get the impression this is the characteristics of the 'auto'.  In D, the car does not roll, but I believe this is due to it being an automated manual (or dual clutch offering?) rather than an actual auto?

The brakes were not good.  They were ceramic, so not sure if they needed warming up, constant use or what, but not confidence inspiring like the S8 ceramics I tried above.

I won't comment on the dash, fascia or the controls, as you all know how highly I regard BMW on this score.  This one had the HUD, but the rest of the car was pretty tatty for a nicely polished showroom example.  The kickboards were awful and the white leather had been coloured by clothes (pale leather for ya!!).

Not my style of car, but a damn good ride.  My youngest daughter liked it though.

Let the abuse begin.....  :roflmao:

Begin?  Who am I kidding?  I meant continue!!

Edited by cruiser647

1 hour ago, cruiser647 said:

Have just been out in an M5.  06 'auto' model.

M5......Auto??????

"the devil's car!" You can't have a V10 M5 Auto!

Everything else you say about that particular car tells me it is a bit of a duffer!

The v10 M5 when de-restricted will allegedly do 208mph.

The M5 shouldn't have been behaving as you've described it unless something was very wrong.  The SMGII box wasn't as bad as people like to make out either, but that one sounds decidedly "wrong".

Interiors are just a thing of personal taste.

You just have to look at cars with an open mind above all else.  if you want an S8, buy an S8.  Don't waste your time looking at BMW's when you know you don't like them.  It is completely futile.  You love the A8's and hanker after an S8, so it seems completely pointless to go around testing something like an M5 (because it is a very different animal to an S8).

Then let us know when you've got one and how quickly you need the £10,000 to fix the first set of issues (my APR is roughly 780%). :roflmao:

Then, six months later, you can go to someone else for the next £10,000. :roflmao:

• Like 1

As long as Booster has no holidays planned.

And I get to Garçon before he splashes his cash on an old Bentley

Had to drive an M5.  Shame it was a duffer though.  But judging by the state of it.....  not surprising.

They had an M3 4 dr V8 there too with a carbon front splitter (or carbon look).  The lower middle part of that had been utterly gouged.  Not scuffed, but gouged!!!  :o.  Where the garage is, is in a little village with road humps and one road out of it takes you across the East Coast Mainline and we all know how rough crossing are....

• Like 1

If Cruiser was to look at an SL, CLS, whatever, I would be amazed if he chose one above an Audi.

I think the S8 is a phenomenal car and offers ride comfort and grunt like little else in a straight line.  They're a destroyer of miles in complete refinement.

The one problem is that after a few months, or weeks as Booster has said, people begin to wonder when the expense will stop.  It doesn't.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

• 4 weeks later...

Got one.  I tried to stop it, but couldn't!  :rolleyes:

08 plate, with just over 90k miles on it.

So far so good...  Nothing has broken.  Goes very well and sounds awesome.  Nothing rattles or shakes.  Gear changes are smooth.

It is in Daytona Grey, but has the dark wood trim for some reason...  adaptive cruise, fingerprint reading bollox, solar roof, power boot blah blah

All the ones I looked at needed new rear pads, as the electric handbrake seems to eat the rear pads PDQ, this one was no exception. So did that as I do like working on cars.  Getting my hands dirty. :grin:

Let's not talk about mpg.. :roflmao:As the gauge seemingly moves overnight, so I suspect someone takes it for a spin each night.

This will make sure I get a local job.  If I still had the diesel, I'd be inclined to pursue jobs miles away again, so this will stop me.  :grin:.

Will take some sideways on photos.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Calm Chris said:

So thats now the family car for shopping, school runs, days out and requests by the bank manager to pop in for a chat :)

Yep!!! :roflmao:

None food shopping will be done on foot!  (I am only 15 min from city centre anyway, and I never drove in unless it was pissing down or I intended to buy some heavy/bulky items)