Young persons' car insurance

cruiser647

Daughter number 2 is learning to drive.

She is looking at cars too.  We went to Peterborough BCA auctions as they had Polos, Mazda 2, Swifts, Mini Ones, Corsa and Civics.

Now back home, she is looking at insurance....  GULP!!!  So that is the Civic, Mazda 1and Golf ruled out.  She does not want a black box, but is likely to go down the Pass Plus route and have a dashcam (as that seems to be an option on some to reduce the cost).

My question is.... Is it possible that I can be the main driver on her car and have her as the named driver?  Even though I have my own insurance for my car, is it possible and would it better for her?   What would happen if she has an accident, would it affect my renewal cost next time round?  

Would it make her insurance the following year much cheaper instead of her being the main driver in the first place and (barring any accidents) get a years no claims?

Fronting...  I am not Pharrell.... :roflmao:

OK, will knock that in the head.

It seems a few of the insurance companies review the driving every 3 or 4 months.  Seems quite reasonable!

She is not keen on the black box, although there are some that say they don't use the boxes full capabilities, but just certain parameters it can offer.  That is another thing to check.

In answer to you having the policy in your name and her being the named driver - NO.  A big no nowadays too as insurers aren't stupid and clamped down on what is essentially a fraudulent declaration as to who is the main driver of the vehicle.

There is no easy way around it, new driver insurance in the UK is astonishingly expensive.

I have to admit we chose my son's first car on only 3 criteria:

Lowest insurance.

Cheapest running cost

highest NCAP rating

We/he ended up with a 1.0 Corsa C (I am going back 5 years) and he loved it.

NCAP 4*, Insurance 1E, 50+ MPG.

Son has a mini one.  Was one of the cheapest to insure.  With a black box - more than insurance.  You get web page updates almost straight away.  Although it has come up with some funny numbers from time to time.  Does not have curfew but does have a usage rating - which does not like you using it for lots of small trips.  "Apparently" he is building up a discount for renewal.  Black box was a necessity due to him racing push bikes and therefore 30mph is nothing to him.  

The absolute cheapest quote we got was for a Kia Picanto - ~£800 (versus £1k for the mini).  But the car was newer.  There is a definite reduction in premiums on the newer cars.

We will check out the black box stuff again, as each company has different parameters for box use.

Cheaper premiums for newer cars?  I was trying to figure out some sort of correlation between the premiums and will definitely look into this one.  The cars are all cheap compared to the premiums.  But then again, we knew that. ☹️

4 hours ago, DaveP said:

Son has a mini one.  Was one of the cheapest to insure.  With a black box - more than insurance.  You get web page updates almost straight away.  Although it has come up with some funny numbers from time to time.  Does not have curfew but does have a usage rating - which does not like you using it for lots of small trips.  "Apparently" he is building up a discount for renewal.  Black box was a necessity due to him racing push bikes and therefore 30mph is nothing to him.  

The absolute cheapest quote we got was for a Kia Picanto - ~£800 (versus £1k for the mini).  But the car was newer.  There is a definite reduction in premiums on the newer cars.

How old is your son Dave, as £1k seems very reasonable?

When our eldest was 17, the annual premium on her MINI Cooper was £1,670 (trust me, it isn't something I'll ever forget as we paid her insurance for her until she was 23, had finished her degree and was working full-time).

At 21, on the Audi A1, it was still over £1,300.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

I suspect some of the newer cars might be fitted with newer auto braking tech as I can see this being a big push to reducing car insurance. As most crashes are front end collisions getting a car with that as standard can only help surely, that and ESP now reduces the slippery road, driving mad crash. 

My wifes car has the braking tech as standard and I can't help but think that is part of the reason its nearly a quarter of the cost of my car to insure. The size, engine and cost might all have an effect though I admit. :unsure:

As a laugh, I got her to get quotes on other cars.

A 1.4 mk 4 or 5 Golf was over £3k.  Yet a newer A1 was £2.1k

Even the i10 was over £1800.

The Swift (07 plated 1.5 model)  and (IIRC) the Corsa 1.2 were best at £1400 or thereabouts.  So far.

Will get her to check the 1.0 Corsa and the smaller engined Swift.  

My son (19) has an old Mazda MX5 - Here in NZ it costs (me) NZ$55 per month fully comp. (approx £30 per month). Just for fun I went on confused.com for a quote.... £9500 per year was the best quote.

Thats a measure of how out of control the UK insurance is. Is there a better way ?  Here in NZ there is a completely different regime for most forms of insurance called ACC. Effectively the government takes liability for all injury accident claims. This is paid for by a vehicle charge. It means safer cars pay less in ACC charge. (e.g. My A8 costs NZ$80 per year but my bike costs $522). It also means compensation is strictly limited and there are thin pickings for the lawyers. The only downside is personal injury/death compensation for a bad accident is low. In fact you would get more for your damaged car than a death and I think that needs to be addressed. Sounds like communism but there are clear benefits to people and the economy as a whole. The government is prohibited from using the scheme to raise revenue as general taxation. The result is rates that can go down as well as up (my car tax keeps going down for some reason).  It also means young people can run a car and become employable and economically active. Something which is denied to young people in the UK.

• Like 3

On 8/22/2017 at 2:04 PM, M8CKN said:

How old is your son Dave, as £1k seems very reasonable?

Sorry, been very busy.

That was from when he was 17 and learning.  It went up a small amount when he passed.

It really is interesting just getting quotes on all sorts of cars just to work out how they bias their quotes.  If you start to go to older cars the quotes start to go up.  Fords seems more expensive.  VW bit more.  Seats more again.

We live in Wiltshire, so probably quite a low risk - not in town.

Didn't go with the cheapest, there seemed to be LOTS of horror stories of their black box draining batteries.

Went with More Than's black box (Smart wheels???), seems quite good.  But it does not like lots of short journeys, long journeys, but that is only one of the scores.

He seems to be earning credit from his scores - I guess that means it will be taken off next year's quote (so probably pointless unless he renews with them).