The £1k mobile phone

Arch

Discuss. :) 

I remember seeing a bill for a £1000 phone once, sometime back in the mid nineties i think. It was a teeny motorola StarTac. My bosses brothers went halves on it for him for his birthday. I remember getting it lent to me one day, when i was taking his son to the hospital. It fitted nicely in a shirt pocket and weighed next to nothing unlike my Nokia 2110 at the time. :roflmao: 

Now we have the iPhone X. Hmmmmm. :blink:

£1000.  No thanks.

Some interesting comparisons here..... iPhone vs phone quarter of the price.  The screen comparison is scary!

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/iphone-vs-cheap-android/

I'm currently debating downgrading to sim-only when my current two year contracts ends in November and buying a handset myself.  Or just keeping my current one!

For the first time since I have had a mobile, I have NOT upgraded when the contract has ended.

I have just changed to effectively a SIM only deal with the same provider so lots of data.

My old Windows phone does everything I want, nothing else grabs my attention, nothing else I think is as easy (although I would get used to to a new device), but I'd be upgrading for upgrading sake.  

Which reminds me, I need to get my bank card on the phone, now I have a new card!  It keeps bleeping when the phone is unlocked and is touching the card.:roflmao:

Edited by cruiser647

Ive been sim only for a while now, got a good deal last year with EE which still suits me fine. I've not had an upgrade on a contract since pre iphone days i think. Bought my S7 Edge used (new) from ebay and it's still great to be honest. The trend (on contracts) seems to now be little or no upfront phone cost but much higher monthlies, £60+ :o

I do find it a bit bizarre that a lot of the press are getting so excited about the latest iPhone X.

Is it not just generally catching up to the opposition? 

This article seems to sum it up for me.....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11921942

I recently went from a Galaxy S6 Edge to an S8. Only because my Mrs wanted a non work phone for private use....so I gave her the S6 and the business got me the S8. The change makes no significance difference in my everyday life whatsoever. I would never upgrade if i had to pay.

Edited by Soulboy

Most predictable thread ever :P

New phone. Lol OMG how much I'm not buying one? Honestly, you don't sound like the target market for such devices, and of course nobody is forcing you to buy them. People will though - as they're incredibly capable units. Are you assuming because you're not interested no-one else will be?

Why would people upgrade? Well, why do people replace perfectly good cars, or buy expensive watches, or buy expensive jeans when 30 quid ones do arguably the same job? It's because they can :) Also, people invested in the eco-system it's not really a 1K phone. It's a 1k phone minus the highish resale of their current handset. If that's a previous gen iPhone that delta will be far smaller than most.

These units are phenomenally powerful, and will open up a world of AI, augmented reality, not to mention gaming as that always chews up horse power.

For those you buying a contract with a phone - well, that's an odd choice. It rarely if ever stacks up financially - you'll pay more over the term of ownership.

17 hours ago, Ian_C said:

£1000.  No thanks.

Some interesting comparisons here..... iPhone vs phone quarter of the price.  The screen comparison is scary!

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/iphone-vs-cheap-android/

I'm currently debating downgrading to sim-only when my current two year contracts ends in November and buying a handset myself.  Or just keeping my current one!

Sell your 'Star Shoes Brake Pants' or whatever it is you're driving now, and buy a diesel Peugot then? They both do the same thing don't they? It's the same argument.

Dunno, this release has actually made these units genuinely interesting. The processing capability is going to be amazing. Hell, they're more powerful than a lot of PCs that people are using. These really are now just portable computers - and powerful ones. Microsoft tried - and failed - with the phone/desktop combo for example. I suspect Apple will get this right. Imagine just walking in to somewhere plugging in a screen/keyboard and having your 'normal' working environment available? It's a very compelling story.

Things like 4K 60FPS video, for example, will be a driver for a lot of people.

Threads like this always make me think of the muppets :)

80cca3f479ec4c98707c66d5bc00531d.jpg

Now that I do agree with, they are definitely seen as a fashion accessory, the latest thing to have, buying into the brand etc   +++

And I agree if I tried to 'work' on a Nokia 6 with its budget processor it would probably (certainly?) be useless.  I'm either on work Lenovo or home Dell, so no need to 'work' on my phone

Off topic, was having a clear out and found my 8210 and 8310 the other day!  :o

I found a 6310 clearing out my garage - the shocking thing was it still turned out without charging it :o

Didn't last long, but I was gobsmacked.

You have to remember that the upgrade in hardware often enables new software capabilities. That HW capability is a dependency for a lot of stuff. You build it, people will make use of it.

I still think the Nokia 6310 did its job better than any mobile handset ever. 

Its just that the job of a smart phone has moved on somewhat.

I'm not a gadget freak. I replace my stuff every four years or so. But it's still interesting to watch progress. I doubt I'll replace my MacBook. Won't need to, I'll have all the processing power I'll ever need in a phone and (maybe) a watch. Might have an iPad for portable screen size?

The iPhone X maybe previews a time when the only meaty processor you need is in your phone. Everything else you have - watch, tablet, tv - just needs enough to connect. 

I still have a Vodafone contract. £45 a month and can upgrade at very little cost (as Mac says nil when you consider Mazuma resale) every two years. That isn't a catastrophic deal is it? New phone accounts for half of that so £22 a month for data and calls seems ok. 

1 hour ago, garcon magnifique said:

The iPhone X maybe previews a time when the only meaty processor you need is in your phone. Everything else you have - watch, tablet, tv - just needs enough to connect. 

Yup, this is very much the first step on that process I think.

The videos I've seen so far of the Face ID don't look that great, to me. I can certainly see the benefit and the power of any the new phones is incredible. 

I need a new phone and I'm undecided what to do, get an 8, 8plus or wait for the X... MMMmm

I suspect I won't wait for the new phone and will get an iPhone 8+ on a contract as we get 15-30% off if we get a bundled deal and calculations in the past had that as the cheapest option. 

Mac said it.  

Don't like it?  Don't buy one.  Most people coming out with crap like this were never even contemplating one.

As for playing catch up, well we can all pick part of a device specification and say "this already has that". 

Once you start looking at how everything comes together and the true capabilities of a device, that's when things change. Furthermore, if you're not an Apple product owner already then you're going to miss the complete picture anyway.

I'll be getting an iPhone X.

I wouldn't even contemplate an iPhone 8 because I don't see the point in investing in a device that became a legacy product 15 minutes after it was launched.

• Like 1

Jesus H Christ do all you Apple fan-boys have a chip on your shoulder or something?

Do you think we should all lay down our lives & wallets to the god of apple?

Arch opened up a thread with the word "discuss" so we express an opinion & not all are to lay our wallets & lives in front of whatever the feck his name is & his business plan, so we must all be luddites apparently!

• Like 1