Decisions, decisions

lmmlmmam

Perphaps I've been reading this forum to much, but with all the talk off strong residuals and people ordering new A4 cabs has got me round to thinking perhaps I should/could change mine.

I want to stay with the cab but would just like one with a few more toys on it. I spent ages on the Audi configurator the other night and couldn't make even the most basic decision. HELP!

My current car is a 1.8T (none sport) in the aqua blue with blue hood, blue leather and a few toys.

Apart from certainly wanting to go sport I'm not sure what to do engine/drive train wise.

Ari, last summer you wrote an excellent comparison of Claudi and the 3.0 sport loaner you had. Now you've got Claudine can you add any reflections on whether it was the engine or sport suspension that made the biggest difference between these cars.

I still suspect that I'd probably get the 1.8T again. Has any one driven both quattro and 2wd in the Cab? I'd love to know what the difference in feel and also fuel consumption was. I'm just a little worried that a 1.8T Q may seem a little underpowered.

I know colour is a very personal thing I just wondered what people thought about the contrast v complimentary colours on the bodywork, hood and interior. I've got all the blues at the moment but think contrast adds a bit of impact to the car. Was kind of wondering about Dolphin with a red hood, but then what to do with the interior? Probably have to be red leather (not sure if I'm bold enough to go that way), but I'd like the Alcantara/Leater seats and I think it is only available as black or grey (how light is the grey?).

Any thoughts would be most welcome!

beerchug.gif

CabMac

I went for a silver/grey leather/black roof which obviously doesn't contrast too much but looks nicely understated.

There's someone here at work with a black/anis/black combination which I think is the classiest I have seen. Gives the cab a very 'limo' look.

From a purely practical point of view tho' I do wonder how well the anis will look after a year or two (especially if kids are allowed anywhere near it)as it is very pale.

Bottom line is that I think you have to try hard to find a combination that doesn't work. The ones you mention sound great, though from a resale point of view a red hood may be 'braver' than black.

First question first, the difference between a "sport" cabrio and a "non sport" is just amazing, its like a different car to drive, to ride in and to look at.

When I was changing the car and was so determined to go "sport" my girlfriend couldn't see what all the fuss was about regarding the suspension as to her the previous car was "perfectly fine" so whats going to be different. When I got it and we had a first long drive she was staggered by how much nicer the car felt, even from the passenger seat. Tellingly, she didn't feel car sick whereas she did after a while in the previous cabrio. The car just sits glued four square to the tarmac on motorways, absolutely rock steady, no pitching, bouncing, nothing. Cornering is greatly improved, the car takes the twisties flat and composed, never feeling unfazed even when pushed hard. As soon as you got remotely adventurous with the other car it'd start wallowing and generally making its displeasure felt. This one just pushes you on! cool.gif

The seats in the old car never felt "shaped" or comfortable to me. Oddly, I never actually felt uncomfortable, even after a really long drive. But the sport seats are sublime, I think they are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in!

And finally the wheels. I only got the bigger wheels because by the time you've specced the suspension and seats its cost the same as the full sport pack so I went with that and got the wheels "free", fi you see what I mean. But they transform the look of the car. The last one looked great, this one just looks edgier I guess. Sportier, meaner, faster.

Saying all that sounds like I'm sayting the non sport is crap, and that is absolutely not the case. I loved my previous car despite all the niggles and I'd still be very happy with it if I'd not changed it. But this otherwise identical car but with Sport spec is another league on, no doubt about it.

On to colours. Can I just echo everyone elses sentiments, if you like the Dolphin with red leather then go for it, I think it looks fantastic! Different, yet subtle. I think it is a combination that will always look good. Oh, and yes, red hood I think.

Keep us posted, but in short worth it just to get that sport pack I promise.

beerchug.gif

A friend of my just got his A4 avant, dolphin grey with red leather. Looks great. Although anis is of course a very nice runner up....

Used to have a 3 series touring, silver with wine red leather. Very beautiful, although lots of people (dutch traditionals...) thought it to be very daring....

But I liked it!

beerchug.gif Cheers Guys!

Thanks for all the thoughts and encouragement. Unfortunately I mentioned my thoughts to my wife this evening and colour war has broken out!

'I can't understand why anyone would want a red roof', she says.

'The house has a red roof', says I. You get the idea.

Fortunately the whole idea wasn't vettoed, so I'm in with a chance.

Thanks for those photos Ari, is the final one the same car, the leather looks much brighter.

I think it's time for a play on the configurator and a trip to the dealer.

I'll let you know where things are heading.

Thanks again

CabMac

[ QUOTE ]

How about Brilliant Red and Black leather or Alcantara with black hood? Oh and brushed Ali trim.

Available Sept wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't be a used S4cab you'd be recommending there 18ME would it? I'd love it no doubt, unfortunately there are over 40000 good reasons why I can't.

But seriously does anyone know if the Ali trims are going to be made available for the A4 Cab?

[ QUOTE ]

with all the talk off strong residuals and people ordering new A4 cabs

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly wouldn't put you off this, but bear in mind Your Mileage May Vary - in my case, I swapped from a TDI to a 1.8T, which meant quite a hefty drop in price 'as new' (even with quattro) - so this wiped out the depreciation, and any extra I pay is only for the toys (and only part of those). IIRC, Ari also had some sort of deal on account of his last car having problems.

If you're upgrading everything plus replacing the car with the same engine or a more expensive drivetrain, be prepared to pay a good few grand extra, possibly far on the wrong side of five or even ten. My near-fully loaded (no satnav)1.8Tq is nudging 32K, and if your trade-in for a non-sport 1.8T is something like 22-3K, that's a big leap. OTOH I probably would have specced it a bit less flamboyantly if I was ordering from factory rather than grabbing one from stock.

Remember to add in the odd grand for getting the thing registered and on the road, with trackers and autoglym and GAP insurance and whatnot. Much of this is wasted money and non-transferable, even when you're doing it the second time in a year (I'm annoyed about the GAP cover).

However, I would go for it, and I have grin.gif - but I probably couldn't have justified it without the TDI as a bargaining chip.

Re. power - richyuk drove a T quattro and compared to his 2wd 1.8T, and thought it wasn't noticeably slower (though he was allowing for a tighter engine in a newer car). There's always the option to chip it - I suspect I'm going to miss the torque of my diesel.

Colour: I'm a bland and boring silver smirk.gif but I like it that way. Saw a grey one today, though (not sure which grey) and it looked fantastic ... sleek, expensive, exclusive, and many other good things.

There was an Atlas Grey cab in the build queue just coming up to confirmation, when I made my decision - now wondering if I should have gone with that and put red leather seats in rather than go for another silver car... The grass is always greener (red/greyer, in thie case) smile.gif

Red (interior) would be interesting and spectacular; never seen one in the flesh. I have to say, anis not my colour, but most people seem to love it, so worth a look.

Good luck...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

How about Brilliant Red and Black leather or Alcantara with black hood? Oh and brushed Ali trim.

Available Sept wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't be a used S4cab you'd be recommending there 18ME would it? I'd love it no doubt, unfortunately there are over 40000 good reasons why I can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very possibly sekret.gif

Although I am wondering now wether to go for a metallic colour as I only ordered the red because I wanted to keep costs down as much as possible as I'm only keeping it for 3 months and want to sell without losing too much but on the other hand would a metallic colour be easier to sell? its a difficult one to know and I'm not sure if I can change the spec now anyway...the car is ordered for a June delivery.

[ QUOTE ]

But seriously does anyone know if the Ali trims are going to be made available for the A4 Cab?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it available on the s-line cars now, so maybe it will be available on the rest soon.

[ QUOTE ]

be prepared to pay a good few grand extra, possibly far on the wrong side of five or even ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too true! I've just been playing around on the configur..frustrator smashfreakB.gif. Gee it's scary how a few small seeming numbers add up.

I'm still going to check out the deal assuming I can settle on a colour combination. Trying to judge colours on my laptop is a bit of a joke, so a trip to the dealer is definately called for!

Have you got a date for your new one yet? Just my five scents worth on 1.8T performance ices_blah.gif - Mine is still getting better after 11000 miles, so don't judge whether it need chipping until well run in. I think the engine goes much better than expected.

Cheers

CabMac

OK - that's a good tip, thanks a lot - I'll wait and see beerchug.gif

Re. date: it's here!! Getting PDI, and some Diamond wheels swapped in (so waiting for the donor car to arrive - the owner of that one wanted my 5-spoke Star alloys, and I wanted his...). I'll be picking it up on Thursday 11th, hopefully...

Are you near London (can't see your loc from this screen)? Nice thing about living in W London is having 4 dealers within range, it's good for checking colours since there's a lot of metal between all those forecourts. I was a bit shocked how *yellow* the anis is in real life, hence comment above, but obviously, opinions differ and I don't want to disregard those who have it and love it. I would beware the re-sale aspect of that one though, my wife looked at it and just said "you've GOT to be joking", and a couple standing nearby turned round and smiled and said "yeah, too right...". It's not universally popular, I think it's fair to say...

[ QUOTE ]

Hey CabMac ... can I just say ditto!

Currently considering a 1.8T quattro with a couple of toys this time.

Also debating on the colour ... think moro with annis would be practical / look OK / not scare people off at resale?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Dan,

What toys do you fancy? I'd love the MMI but the cost is a bit scary.

I think Moro with Anis would be lurverly notworthy.gif

I'm trying to move away from the blues having had a BMW and an Audi S2 coupe in colours very similar to Moro and my last car and the current cab are both aqua blue.

I find the Audi colour range a bit restrictive esp. when compared with BMW. Although perhaps this is a good thing. Were seen some horrid looking 3 series Cabs. I think the worst was green with a red roof Flush.gif

What are your thoughts on quattro? It seems dear to me for something you don't need 95% of the time and have to pay for at the pumps 100% of the time, although this winter has had a few too many slippy days and I very nearly got stuck in the snow in conditions I just know quattro would have cruised along in.

Best do some work now

Cheers

CabMac