[Audi A3/S3] S3 Fuel Gauge

Rich

Anyone had trouble with there's before? I'm going away for the weekend so decied to fill the tank. For the last £ I put in the pump was constantly cutting out, which I took as an indication I had a full tank. When I got back in the car and drove off my fuel gauage is sitting halfway between 3/4 and full confused.gif

Gonna try again to fill it up just to make sure it wasn't the pump playing up (didn't cut out for the other £30 I stuck in!) otherwise I'll get Audi to check it out next week when its in.

Oh and am moaning too much if I complain about a squeaky armrest? UHOH7.GIF

Rich, I've had my instrument cluster changed twice and the fuel sensor changed once due to my fuel gauge reading incorrectly. Damned gauge read empty, and I filled the tank with only 50 liters (Which would indicate at least another 12 liters was in the tank smashfreakB.gif) AND I ran out of gas with "1/4" tank suicide.gif

I think it's a problem with the "Saddle" shape of the Quattro fuel tanks. My recommendation is to keep an eye on it for a little while, and if it DOES seem to be reading incorrectly, take it in and have it looked at smashfreakB.gif

jump.gifbeerchug.gif

It has always appeared to read fine, I normally just stick in £20 at a time, which gets me through the week, then another £20 gets me through the weekend. That normally takes me from just other a 1/4 to about the 3/4 mark and always has done. I had let it get a bit lower than normal, (under the 1/4) and knowing I am going away this weekend I decided to just fill it to the top. I managed to get £31 (approx 40 litres) and the pump was cutting out every 10p ish from just over £30 which is why I thought it was full.

I think my gauage is working, I'm just wondering if it is out of sync, thinking its showing a full tank where in fact its displaying 7/8's?? I don't think it was a problem with the pump as I said it was fine up to just past £30 and its a brand new pump, they have just redone the whole garage. I'll try and fill it right up again in the morning and see what happens. If it doesn't go right up (and I expect I won't be able to get much in!) then I'll get Audi to look at it when its in on Tuesday.

Rich

• 1 month later...

Yesterday ran out of juice and had to walk 5 miles to nearest fuel station sportifs2.gif

The gauge was on quarter and the trip computer was displaying 90 miles. The fuel light suddenly came on and the computer was now showing 0 Miles. In the middle of no where we ran out of fuel confused.gif

Got to the nearest garage on foot (misses still in car) only to find out they had just sold last petrol can fekr.gif

Luckily some smelly farmer heared my conversation and took me under her wing and gave me some juice she had back at her place wink.gif.

Turned out i was parked outside her farm entrance when i ran out.. So the lift back and the free gas was much appreciated!!

Not the most reliable of gauges i must admit sportifs2.gif

Any suggestions or advice?

Mine turned out to be the fuel station. I went back the next day to a different pump filled her up to the max no probs!!

That is a bit concerning for it to drop like that, mind you 90 miles would be just under the 1/4 mark in my car and I don't let it get that low anyway, I always refill around that point so would never know if mine would do the same??

I always fill up to the max once a week ,cause shes a thirsty beast.

Noticed since that the gauge isnt as stable as my previous A3. Its sometimes very unsettled.

By the way how many miles (on average) do you guys get out of your S3s from full to petrol light coming on?

It all depends how you drive and if its in town or on the motorway. I never let mine go below the 1/4 mark, but on max I've had the DIS stating anything from 360 to 450, maybe a bit more, can't remember really. With my normal driving I get approx 100 miles per 1/4 of a tank.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]

I always fill up to the max once a week ,cause shes a thirsty beast.

Noticed since that the gauge isnt as stable as my previous A3. Its sometimes very unsettled.

By the way how many miles (on average) do you guys get out of your S3s from full to petrol light coming on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive 80% motorway at between 75 and 85 mph and 20% urban (SE London)probably averaging about 20mph. Out of a full tank of Super Unleaded i consistently get between 330 and 350 miles. The DIS is indicating an average of 29.5mpg at the moment. For a turbocharged 200+ bhp car, i find that very reasonable beerchug.gif My brother is getting the same economy out of his Diesel Freelander although he does seriously boot it about!!!

[ QUOTE ]

100 miles on a 1/4 tank ! EEK2.GIF Do u drive like a girl? I get about 90miles on £20. If i fill her up then the DIS shows about 270.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not out of choice!!! Most of my driving is motorway driving, in traffic so I end up spending most of the time cruising at a steady (ish) 60-70 - which is really good for the mpg!! When I said 100 I was also rounding, its probably a little under.

Rich,

My S3 fuel gauge is spot-on. When I fill her up the gauge is exactly aligned with the "full" mark and I have had dropped down as low as a projected range of 15 miles before filling her up without any issues. Of course there's the possibility that the tank is still half full for all I know, but based upon what I then have to put in to fill her up I think it is accurate. I am also consistently get 32-34mpg on average off a tank of fuel. On recent 700 mile return trip to north Devon (including cruising at 3 digit speeds on some sections and traffic jams) I averaged 34.5mpg which I was pleasantly surprised by.

Perhaps the fuel gauge thing is just a calibration issue when the vehicle is set-up in the factory ? On your motah what does the gauge read when she is full ...over the full mark or spot on ?

Cheers,

R

Just filled her up (the car not the misses)and its bang on the full mark on the fuel gague.

The next time i started the car the petrol light came on and the gague was on empty and the trip showing 0 miles left.

If i park on a steep hill it seems to then work ok, but at the mo the light is still on and the gague on empty. Even though there is £45 worth of juice in the fekr.gif

Any ideas peops?

Sounds like its best ignored until fixed.

My motorbike had no fuel gauge - I worked out the range on a full tank roughly then reset the trip counter after filling up , when it came to 175 miles I'd fill her up again.

You shouldn't have to do that on an Audi S3 however!

Any one know where the fuel tank sender is, and how much of a job it is to change..

My gague seems have a mind of its own and displays a different reading every time i start it!!

Its really testing my patience now

How much can i expect to pay confused.gif